Front end kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for some recommendations on types of front end kits for my 2000 Ram 1500 4wd. I need to replace my ball joints and I thought it would be good to just go ahead and replace other components as well as bushings. My truck does have a lift but I don't use it for off roading or anything like that. I simply tow my boat from time to time. I bought it lifted and I like it so I want to keep it that way. I guess I just don't need high performance stuff for occasionally drives. Also looking to put some 20x12 wheels with 33's. I'm not sure what my current lift is, probably a 4 to 5" lift.

20180908_150456(1).jpg

OP
OP
R

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe it has about 122k

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Well my suggestion would be "if it were my truck" Replace lower ball joints. Look at Mopar lower control arm with pre loaded ball joints with zerks. If upper ball joints are solid, no play, fine. Tie rod ends. Sway bar end links. Look at ATR. Sway bar mounting bushings. Check idler arm for play.

OP
OP
R

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my suggestion would be "if it were my truck" Replace lower ball joints. Look at Mopar lower control arm with pre loaded ball joints with zerks. If upper ball joints are solid, no play, fine. Tie rod ends. Sway bar end links. Look at ATR. Sway bar mounting bushings. Check idler arm for play.

Is there a decent kit that will give me all of that? I seen some on ebay, A1 auto and so on that has like 8 to 12 pieces for under $200 dollars with upper and lower ball joints. But will these kit do, or are they garbage? Remember I only used my truck for occassionally towing in the summer and pleasure driving from time to time. Your thoughts?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Roy, I am not a fan of cheap parts on the internet. Just me. I am not aware of a full part kit. Might want to talk to the company that made or sold the lift kit. Lets see what the other members suggest.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
First off: How is the truck acting? Does it shake/unable to control the steering wheel? Does it road walk/lock up?

I recommend you look at rockauto.com. They have all the parts your truck will ever need. Lol. I just had to do that.
Seriously though...
Great quality parts and even parts for lifted trucks.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
R

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Roy, I am not a fan of cheap parts on the internet. Just me. I am not aware of a full part kit. Might want to talk to the company that made or sold the lift kit. Lets see what the other members suggest.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

OP
OP
R

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off: How is the truck acting? Does it shake/unable to control the steering wheel? Does it road walk/lock up?

I recommend you look at rockauto.com. They have all the parts your truck will ever need. Lol. I just had to do that.
Seriously though...
Great quality parts and even parts for lifted trucks.

Well truck does pull which I know it needs an alignment, but it also vibrates and you can feel the suspension needs work. I also took it to a shop and they also told me I needed ball joints, but they wanted like $600 dollars. I looked at rock auto but it seemed a bit higher in price for the same type of kit, nothing fancy. Or maybe I'm just not looking good enough.
I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
R

Royal50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone ever purchased Moog parts through Amazon ? Most times ball joints run about 60 to 80 dollars. Same thing for tie rods. It just seems really inexpensive.

Screenshot_20180927-100953_Chrome.jpg

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
one item i would recommend (unless yours already have it) is to look at the Inverted "y" style to "t" style conversion for the steering linkage, i think you can get it for around $300. mopar made/makes the conversion kit but i do not know how available it is anymore as the age of these trucks.
Also (unless you have some sort of aftermarket kit for the tire rod ends, i dont know if they are out there or not) you have 2 tie rod ends and these only have 1 of that style on the driver side i believe, the passenger side is a longer bar that extends towards the pitman arm, with a hole that the driver side tie rod end connects too. those moog parts are pretty cheap on amazon, they are about what i had payed for from autozone for the updated oem ones. not to say those are bad parts but good call on questioning, if they are moog parts when they show up i do not see why they would be less desirable, as long as the part numbers match what is needed.
Also 4x4 does not have control arms with ball joints, as they are solid axle. 2wds have the control arms.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

Our ball joints are in the knuckle of our solid axle. No a-arms.

Myself im not a fan of moog. 5-6 years ago they were great but they got bought out and ever since their quality is greatly diminished. Oe was Dana/Spicer and that's all i use for things like ball joints and u joints. Steering stuff i usually go through rockauto and pick the best they have. Best prices around