Fuel Injector pump / injector protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently own a 2014 RAM 5500 4x4 with 6.7 diesel and Aisin transmission. I previously owned a 2001 RAM 3500 4x4 5.9 diesel manual transmission. I know the 5.9 was a great engine however it had a weakness that the 2001 5.9 fuel pump was mounted on the engine and a weak pump could knock out the injector pump. I had an aftermarket Fass fuel system installed with gauges which I could monitor the fuel pressure. My question is: On the current 2014 RAM I have done nothing so it is all factory equipment. I think the fuel pump has been relocated to the fuel tank but is there still a potential weakness that could damage the injector pump. What recommendations would you give me to protect the fuel injectors / pump. Is the factory sensors adequate? Also, is there a chip recommendation that could be added to improve fuel mileage?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As stated above, unless you tune the truck for a lot more HP, the in tank pump is plenty for the stock tune.
There is already dual fuel filters. They do make kits to add a third or use a CAT fuel filter to really polish the fuel, it's probably way overkill.