Gas additive for diesel engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhf1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummings 6.7
I have a 2021 Dodge 2500 V6 Turbo (mileag: 16k) and i keep reading that I need to add diesel additive to keep the engine and turbo clean. This is due to the lack of processing of diesel thus fowling up the engine. thoughts?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Firstly, if you have a 2500 you don't have a V6 turbo anything. You have an I6 (straight-six) Cummins Turbo Diesel.

As for additives, I am going to say they aren't a necessity if you're always getting good fuel from reputable stations that sell a lot of it. However, they won't hurt anything at all.

If you are not always sure about the quality of your diesel fuel, then I would suggest adding it as a safety precaution.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
A close family friend who is also a decades long Cummins certified shop (all they do are injection pumps, injectors, and turbos) swears by Stanadyne Performance fuel additive.

He uses it in his Cummins engines, too.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use the Archoil 6500 on every fill up.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
what about seafoam. I have used it other stuff. thinking it would be good in my cummins 6.7 at least for an antigel agent here in texas winter.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Additives are Not a requirement for your inline 6 diesel, they run just fine without them. For a time Cummins had a business partnership with Power Service additives and they "endorsed" them (again, a business partnership) but it is far from required.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
what about seafoam
It contains several types of alcohol, those are not good to be running through high pressure fuel pumps.
If your looking for a diesel fuel additive, I'd recommend Opti-lube XPD or PowerService. XPD not only will work as an anti-gel, but also added lubricant and cetane booster

5150Eddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
My 2005 Cummins mainly sits in the garage all winter and I use either Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to stabilize. If I happen to be on the road and it's really cold (below 25 degrees) I'll get some Howells at a truck stop and add a bit every tank.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I've got 120K on my Cummins and have only occasionally used additive. My idling was a bit rough so my diesel shop said to run some Extreme Diesel injector cleaner and work it hard for the tank getting it up to operating temp and hit some hill etc. Smoothed it right out. San Diego has R-95 renewable. It's much higher cetane runs much,much cleaner and has plenty of lubricity. MPG are identical and the price is just a dime higher per gallon. It also reduces regen. Not to be confused with biodiesel. This is not available nationwide to my knowledge. https://www.neste.us/neste-my-renew...tE0DaUy6k7WAT55nSJjGkvFHBgZXKjIxoCzwoQAvD_BwE

Surge One

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I use Hotshot Secret related diesel additive. Specifically, here in Missouri with freezing temperatures and humidity. They seem to work just fine. Also, when cleaning my EGR system at the recommended time/schedule, the system is NOT all gummed up or full of burnt corrosion as I've seen in photos on the web. I contribute this to the Hotshot additives I have used. But once again, I am not completely sure these additives are the readon

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
Yup, Stanadyne, I use it, also improves my MPG

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpeg
    IMG_1011.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 8

ACJCF2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman CC DRW 4X4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L (408 cid) TD
Power Service (silver or white bottle if an anti-gel is needed), Stanadyne, or Howes products are all good brands to use. All add lubricity and a cetane boost. I use Power Service in the silver bottle when towing our 5th wheel just for peace of mind.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My 2005 Cummins mainly sits in the garage all winter and I use either Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to stabilize. If I happen to be on the road and it's really cold (below 25 degrees) I'll get some Howells at a truck stop and add a bit every tank.
Seafoam is some of the worst additive you can add to diesel fuel as the majority of it is alcohol and that stuff is not good for the HPFP or the injectors, I know Power Service will work to -40 below zero, I have used it along with Howes over the many years I lived in north IA and saw many a cold winter nights with my 06 5.9 CTD..

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2000 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins that I bought new. I have 200k on it and I also I have 24 years with this truck. At around 80k I experimented with PowerService Cetane boost and immediately noticed less soot from the tailpipe. Immpossible to quantify it also appeared to increase mpg enough to pay for the additive. I keep a log in the truck since new and log in odo,date,trip,gal,and calculate mpg. I intermittantly added the Cetane boost and found that it consistantly and signifcantly reduced tailpipe smoke whenever I added it. Sometime after 100k I started using the additive full time and will always use it. In the winter I also use their anti-gel. I have not tried other brands of additives but suspect they all perform similarly. My old Cummins runs exactly as it did when new and starts easily in cold weather with minimal tailpipe smoke. Your Cummins may or may not see any benifit from the use of such products but that is for you to decide.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
if Stanadyne filed for bankruptcy this year, how is their additive still available.