Gas tank strap recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am grateful that the warranty has been extended to 12 years. But I cannot get past the thought that I am riding on an issue that may raise it's head unexpectantly. Anyone else have concerns? Anyone proactively replaced thse straps and was it costly or difficult?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What is the fix for this? For those of us that line where they salt the roads.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A reinforcement bracket is installed over the existing strap hanger location. If the strap is rusted it is also replaced.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A reinforcement bracket is installed over the existing strap hanger location. If the strap is rusted it is also replaced.
Thanks. Which strap, front, rear or both?

So FCA is waiting until my gas tank is dragging on the ground behind me before they do the fix?:rolleyes:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a 2010 1500 a couple weeks ago, and the CarFax that came with it showed 2 open recalls, 1 of them being the gas tank strap. Took it over to the local CJD and they took care of both of them, didn't cost me a cent. Done.

Ramwithvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that this is an old discussion. I just had the front strap come off my 2013 ram. The T end pulled right through the metal hanger. Discovered this at my house asked the dealer if I could get it towed, NO I would have to submit the bill to FCA Canada for reimbursement maybe. So I ratchet strapped the tank up and had them fix it. After the fix I noticed that the straps had not been replaced used the old rusting ones. Asked about the fact in the recall instructions it said if the front strap fails to replace both straps. They said that was for the recall only ,recall for up to 2012 only. Phoned FCA and again they will not replace the straps. I don't know how long the front strap had been off, I just came back from a 1500 KM (940 mile) trip so it would have seen a lot of bouncing. I cant believe how badly FCA is handling this. I don't trust the rear strap after all the stress so I may just buy new straps and install them my self. I have lost total respect for FCA and I am losing my love of the truck. I have had the fuel pump go, replaced both sides of exhaust header bolts because they broke all in the last 4 months. I can really see why FCA has the reputation for lack of quality it does. This truck only has 11000km (69000 miles) on it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Look at it this way, at least the repair was covered under an additional extended warranty.

Terry Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my 10+ years as a Chrysler tech I’ve never seen one fail. We don’t use salt on the roads however. If you don’t live in the rust belt I doubt you’ll ever have an issue.

I just had my front fuel tank strap break...tank dropped

20191214_114830.jpg

RLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My rear hanger bracket just broke on my 2017. They should have put both on the warranty. The strap rubbed a grove in my driveshaft also. where can a person get the bracket?

broken strap.jpg