Gear select steering upgrade help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got a 16 express that I recently purchased a leather steering wheel out of a 18 big horn so that I could get the factory radio controls.

The question I have is, on this new wheel it has the gear selector buttons on the face of the wheel. My ram has the 6 speed gear select buttons on the column shifter.

is this button something that I’ll be able to now use to control what gear I am in or will it not be operational?. And is there a way to enable it in something like alfaobd if it is not plug and play?.

Thank in advance for any help in the matter.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Likely won't be operational. But you can purchase the cruise control button without the select buttons for about 60 ad it just plugs into the harness nothibg else needed

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Likely won't be operational. But you can purchase the cruise control button without the select buttons for about 60 ad it just plugs into the harness nothibg else needed

I’ve got the buttons out of my factory wheel that I can swap if need be (cruise with no gear select buttons). Was just curious if the gear select buttons on the new steering would work somehow.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could try it. [emoji846] May need to activate it in Alfa obd maybe. Not sure.

Hoping someone that’s done it chimes in, would be cool to be able to use it because I hate using the buttons on the column shift lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hoping someone that’s done it chimes in, would be cool to be able to use it because I hate using the buttons on the column shift lol
Sounds like we have a volunteer...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
It's possible you could compare an export file from another member with an 8 speed and find a setting or settings that would enable them, but it's not a configuration that left factory.

I did my swap before the Alpha ODB was common, so all I can add is when I tested the buttons had no function so I took them out.

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
I just tried this when I upgraded to Audio controls (back bezel)...The front bezel had the gear +/- and they did not function during test drive...I disconnected the wires from the column shifter and there was no change...The only thing else, hardware wise, is it could be the steering wheel harness I have does not use it even though the connector has 2 more wires than the original harness...Research continues...

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I just tried this when I upgraded to Audio controls (back bezel)...The front bezel had the gear +/- and they did not function during test drive...I disconnected the wires from the column shifter and there was no change...The only thing else, hardware wise, is it could be the steering wheel harness I have does not use it even though the connector has 2 more wires than the original harness...Research continues...
The two extra wires are usually for the steering wheel heater control. The buttons don't require extra wires they're canbus controlled via the bcm. You either use Alfa literally flick the switch and off you go or get the tcm programming from a truck that has the buttons and put it in yours.

One guy was using the buttons, he upgraded his trans tune to an 8 speed srt and his buttons quit working. Once he reverted back they worked again. It's 110% not wiring.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
The two extra wires are usually for the steering wheel heater control. The buttons don't require extra wires they're canbus controlled via the bcm. You either use Alfa literally flick the switch and off you go or get the tcm programming from a truck that has the buttons and put it in yours.

One guy was using the buttons, he upgraded his trans tune to an 8 speed srt and his buttons quit working. Once he reverted back they worked again. It's 110% not wiring.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Thanks Brandon...The '2 wires' I was referring to are on the connector for gear +/- and cruise control connector that plug into the module, not the heated steering wheel connectors...

I have a 2014 SLT CDT w/the 6 speed (68RFE? I know it's not the AISIN) transmission and I do have AlfaODB/MX+...I'll dig around log files/settings before I make changes...

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Sorta the same topic.

My dad has a 09 SLT with no radio buttons. If I get a steering wheel from a high up model with radio buttons. Is it just plug in play and they will work? He does have a aftermarket head unit installed.