Glove box lock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Has anyone bought one of these OEM glovebox locks?

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82211490.html

The installation instructions have a line that says

"The service desk will provide the correct tumblers and springs and a technician will install them into the cylinder. "

and I'm curious if that means that the pins & springs are not included in the kit? I know something of locks and I'm capable of installing the pins/springs myself if they are in the kit. I try to avoid involving the dealer in anything if at all possible.

-K

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone bought one of these OEM glovebox locks?

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82211490.html

The installation instructions have a line that says

"The service desk will provide the correct tumblers and springs and a technician will install them into the cylinder. "

and I'm curious if that means that the pins & springs are not included in the kit? I know something of locks and I'm capable of installing the pins/springs myself if they are in the kit. I try to avoid involving the dealer in anything if at all possible.

-K
Guessing they do as it has to be keyed to your key. Take it to a locksmith they can do. Much cheaper than 100 an hour for the dealership

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Guessing they do as it has to be keyed to your key. Take it to a locksmith they can do. Much cheaper than 100 an hour for the dealership

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know it has to be set to my key. I am capable of doing that myself as long as the pins & springs are in the kit. What I was asking was if they are included and they were simply telling you to have the dealer do it because most people don't know how, or if they are not included in the kit and the dealer has (in theory) a cabinet of them tucked in a corner.

-K

Amoinor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it has to be set to my key. I am capable of doing that myself as long as the pins & springs are in the kit. What I was asking was if they are included and they were simply telling you to have the dealer do it because most people don't know how, or if they are not included in the kit and the dealer has (in theory) a cabinet of them tucked in a corner.

-K
No, the pins and springs are not included too many key combinations for them to include them. You can get an assortment of them but for the cost and a one time use I'd take it to a locksmith.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm curious about what the difference is .They say it fits a 1500 DS but not a 1500DT ,what is the difference between DS and DT,is the DS designation given to the trucks with the upper glovebox,and the trucks with-out are DT trucks.Kind of wondering what the DS and DT mean ,lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm curious about what the difference is .They say it fits a 1500 DS but not a 1500DT ,what is the difference between DS and DT,is the DS designation given to the trucks with the upper glovebox,and the trucks with-out are DT trucks.Kind of wondering what the DS and DT mean ,lol

1500 DS is the Gen4 body
1500 DT is the Gen5 body
Two different interiors and glovebox layouts

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
1500 DS is the Gen4 body
1500 DT is the Gen5 body
Two different interiors and glovebox layouts

Now that makes sense,don't know why I didn't think of that Crash.Must of been having a blond moment,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
are the walls closing in? captivity can do strange things to the psyche..lol

LMAO now that was funny . Actually i'm still working,but I don't expect for much longer as guys with more seniority then me have been getting their lay off notices,i think the boss is scared of laying my ornery ass off,lol

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From the pic, it looks like you only need the last 4 tumblers and springs. You could get a few locks from wrecked FCA vehicles at a self serve junkyard. Take them apart a find the ones that will be even in the glove box lock when you insert the key. There are only 4 different tumblers on FCA locks. I did a how to for Neon glove box locks, this should not be much different.
https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=403463

If you need help, PM or email to alpinegreenneon at neons dot org

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Reviving, has anyone tried it on a 2500, the parts dept and the website all say for 1500

OP
OP
kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Reviving, has anyone tried it on a 2500, the parts dept and the website all say for 1500

99% certain that the interior on all the trucks are identical with small exceptions like the shift knob/lever.

-K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963