Gunk in coolant fill neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is this anything to be concerned about? Just a little gunk in the fill neck. Have about 22,000 on the truck.b5f5e02447a7947af3155401677aca6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Don't worry about it. Its typical.

Black 20 Ram

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Flush, Clean and refill, if in doubt.

Tutorial here:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ram-5-7hemi-coolant-flush-diy.116399/#post-1673088

I'm guessing, due to its age, that there is no cracked head or engine gaskets allowing oil or other contaminants into the radiator fluid.

More likely, someone, has mixed fluids and now they combined fluid is breaking down.
Based on where you live, it could also just flat out be used up, from doing its job of keeping your engine cool in the Mississippi heat.

regardless, I would suggest a Flush, Clean and refill.
then add RMI-25 to anti-freeze.

Bottom line, it's contaminants or corrosion.
I'm going with just plain old used fluid corrosion and that brown gunk will turn into a scale, if left alone, and coat everything and lead to other issues.

Looks pretty good, for its age and area but would still clean it out.

Like your shorts, occasional change will make everything better.
Failure to do so will result in more Brown markings.

EDIT:
If yo do not plan on keeping the truck, long term and well over a 100K miles AND could care less about the next guy, then let it go. Doubt you will ever notice any issues from it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Flush, Clean and refill, if in doubt.

Tutorial here:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ram-5-7hemi-coolant-flush-diy.116399/#post-1673088

I'm guessing, due to its age, that there is no cracked head or engine gaskets allowing oil or other contaminants into the radiator fluid.

More likely, someone, has mixed fluids and now they combined fluid is breaking down.
Based on where you live, it could also just flat out be used up, from doing its job of keeping your engine cool in the Mississippi heat.

regardless, I would suggest a Flush, Clean and refill.
then add RMI-25 to anti-freeze.

Bottom line, it's contaminants or corrosion.
I'm going with just plain old used fluid corrosion and that brown gunk will turn into a scale, if left alone, and coat everything and lead to other issues.

Looks pretty good, for its age and area but would still clean it out.

Like your shorts, occasional change will make everything better.
Failure to do so will result in more Brown markings.

EDIT:
If yo do not plan on keeping the truck, long term and well over a 100K miles AND could care less about the next guy, then let it go. Doubt you will ever notice any issues from it.

Thanks. I’ll change it. Regardless of whether I plan to keep it or pass it on, it’ll be taken care of while I have it. [emoji1307]

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks. I’ll change it. Regardless of whether I plan to keep it or pass it on, it’ll be taken care of while I have it. [emoji1307]

Good man. That's the attitude I've had for all of my vehicles - if you take care of them, they'll take care of you.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Brown is not good.

Flush or multiply changes.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Brown is not good.

Flush or multiply changes.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I drew some antifreeze out of the reservoir today. The antifreeze looks okay, but there are some particles of gunk suspended in it. I think a flush is definitely due.

Reactions: U&A

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drew some antifreeze out of the reservoir today. The antifreeze looks okay, but there are some particles of gunk suspended in it. I think a flush is definitely due.

Like the other fella said, rmi-25 it. You just add it now, and over the next 500 miles, it takes particles and traps them in over flow, you wet vac it out. Works like a top. Then you could flush or not. If I had to guess, some new trucks get stop leak added to them, and your was one of them. Way too early for this.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like the other fella said, rmi-25 it. You just add it now, and over the next 500 miles, it takes particles and traps them in over flow, you wet vac it out. Works like a top. Then you could flush or not. If I had to guess, some new trucks get stop leak added to them, and your was one of them. Way too early for this.

Any idea how much to add to the overflow?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mine is 8 ounces, your's may be 16, how many gallons is your system?

COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITY RMI-25 DOSAGE
4 Gallons 8 oz.
5 Gallons 8 oz.
6 Gallons 12 oz.
8 Gallons 16 oz.

I usually put it in radiator, drain some off the petcock and let sit a minute then add, I'm not sure how that over flo works if coolant is always in and out of that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have used it before, took slime out of my radiator and put it in overflow. Here's their page.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine is 8 ounces, your's may be 16, how many gallons is your system?

COOLING SYSTEM CAPACITY RMI-25 DOSAGE
4 Gallons 8 oz.
5 Gallons 8 oz.
6 Gallons 12 oz.
8 Gallons 16 oz.

I usually put it in radiator, drain some off the petcock and let sit a minute then add, I'm not sure how that over flo works if coolant is always in and out of that.

Great. Six gallons. Purchased two 8oz containers. Can’t wait to see the results. I’m going to run it for five hundred miles and probably go ahead and change out the antifreeze.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Other Fella.
Other Fella?

Jeesh.
More Like Ram forum God ...in my own mind, at least.

OP
OP
J

jwynnejr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Other Fella.
Other Fella?

Jeesh.
More Like Ram forum God ...in my own mind, at least.

Will that stuff work if I put it in the reservoir? My radiator doesn’t have a cap like the old style does for whatever dumb reason.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Will that stuff work if I put it in the reservoir? My radiator doesn’t have a cap like the old style does for whatever dumb reason.

yES.

KEEP IN MIND, WHATEVER IS IN YORU RADIATOR IS ONLY GOING TO BE IN THE RADIATOR UNTIL YOUR ENGINE WARMS U P TO THE THERMASTATS OPERATING TEMPERATURE.OOps cap lock. When the thermastats operating temperature is reached, it will open up and allow all the warmed up anti freeze, that is in the engine block, to pass through the thermastat and go to the radiator. Thus forcing the much cooler antifreeze, in the radiator, to go into the engine block itself.

That;s why one wants a clean resevior container. anything in the container will get into your engine blck, your hoses and your heater core.

gunk causes corrision which forces part replacement and none of those companennts are cheap nro easy.

Heater core being the biggest beach of teh bunch.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Mine looks exactly the same— I have a 2016 6.4 with 23k miles. I have four gallons of 50/50 mix coming that I’m going to cycle through. CARiD had the 50/50 mopar for $13 and change for a gallon and after shipping and tax is worked out to $18 and change, best price I could find.

anyone know how much comes out of the radiator and coolant reservoir when I dump it? I’m not planning on draining the block in either side. I was able to drain the block on the passenger side in my old 5.7 and found dumping the 3-4 quarts on my arm and ground not worth it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mine looks exactly the same— I have a 2016 6.4 with 23k miles. I have four gallons of 50/50 mix coming that I’m going to cycle through. CARiD had the 50/50 mopar for $13 and change for a gallon and after shipping and tax is worked out to $18 and change, best price I could find.

anyone know how much comes out of the radiator and coolant reservoir when I dump it? I’m not planning on draining the block in either side. I was able to drain the block on the passenger side in my old 5.7 and found dumping the 3-4 quarts on my arm and ground not worth it.

I advise you to still use the top not, the allen bolt on top of the block, a gallon to a gallon and 1/3 is what I get from the rad alone in my 1500. So never has it been 2 gallons, so if you have 2 gallons on hand you are good. I see you are 6.4, so likely it will be 2 gallons, hard to say for sure, have 3 gallons just in case? It's not like it goes bad, you will use the left over coolant in 24 months or less.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cooling system is 18 quarts, if you are not doing block bolts what about heater core? If you are not flushing heater core as well as block bolts Id still say 3 gallons on hand is a good idea, you wont need more. You t stat will be closed unless your engine is hot, so likely more then half the fluid will be trapped inside system.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I have four gallons on hand, plus maybe a old half gallon that I had left for previous top offs. I plan on dumping the radiator and seeing where that gets me and what the fluid looks like. At that point filling up with 1-2 gallons for the radiator dump or being adventurous and pulling block plugs or disconnecting heater core hoses and going for it.

From what I’m seeing online the 6.4 doesn’t have a bleed plug on the water pump like the old 5.7.... you just fill it up in the reservoir.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
The block plugs look accessible. The passenger side plug looks like it doubles as a coolant sensor port— I took a small heat shield off it for the picture. The drivers side looks to be just a bolt.

my old hemi 5.7 grand Cherokee had no room in the engine bay and the Driver side was inaccessible.

I’m hoping these are actually the drains for the block

ED51E183-8767-4FA4-A787-7DBBA6DF974D.jpeg

D0B87F3A-5400-4F4A-8866-7E62BFCEC238.jpeg