Headlight bulb replacement options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn CC 4*4. I hate the headlights (quad i think). They are not very bright and don’t seem to project far ahead. Without going for all these conversion options I’ve been reading on here which confuses me (opt, morimoto, hd conversions etc), I was wondering if anything like this is A.good and B. easy plug in replacement. This is what I was looking at and wonder if not these, is there anything that will work as a plug in swap that is an improvement over stock

https://www.1sale.com/products/novs...-10000lm-6000k-xenon-white-2-year-warranty-4/

Last edited:

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 Ram 1500 Bighorn CC 4*4. I hate the headlights (quad i think). They are not very bright and don’t seem to project far ahead. Without going for all these conversion options I’ve been reading on here which confuses me (opt, morimoto, hd conversions etc), I was wondering if anything like this is A.good and B. easy plug in replacement. This is what I was looking at and wonder if not these, is there anything that will work as a plug in swap that is an improvement over stock

https://www.1sale.com/products/novs...-10000lm-6000k-xenon-white-2-year-warranty-4/

These will be a big improvement, any LED at 6000k will do better than stock. With so many expensive options this would be the cheap and quality way to go. Basically plug and play just changing the lamp.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Doubt those lights are any where near 10k lumen...

I would check reviews and see what folks are choosing that work well and mimic the light pattern of the halogen bulbs.

Check youtube too. Headlight Revolution looks like they do a fair review of different brands of LED bulbs.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
FF6BDACA-83C6-442E-AE43-0ACB8127A81D.jpeg B443E965-D6BB-433C-9ACA-3EFAA6D2DE4E.jpeg

I just changed my low beam to VLED’s micro in July. Big upgrade vs stock OE bulbs. Plug & play install. I have 5K pure white color and it puts out 3500lm per bulb. I did add the ‘Ram cancellers’ to prevent flickering and bulb out warnings, but many people told me I did not need them (bulb only). Everything fit behind threaded dust cover.

25% off sale going on this weekend! Been using VLED’s for years and never any issues. Buying the high beam. I’m going 6K white w/ tint of blue for the high beams. 4500lm per bulb.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
These will be a big improvement, any LED at 6000k will do better than stock. With so many expensive options this would be the cheap and quality way to go. Basically plug and play just changing the lamp.

For $20 I ordered ‘em. I’ll post a review after I get them and install. If they’re good then great! If they are garbage (anything even slightly brighter than stock has to be better?) then I’ll trash ‘em and I’m only out 20 bucks. Sometimes you get lucky on the cheap stuff and then you are like “hey, I can’t believe I saved myself $150!”

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
For $20 I ordered ‘em. I’ll post a review after I get them and install. If they’re good then great! If they are garbage (anything even slightly brighter than stock has to be better?) then I’ll trash ‘em and I’m only out 20 bucks. Sometimes you get lucky on the cheap stuff and then you are like “hey, I can’t believe I saved myself $150!”

Ditto here. Great find, by the way.!

...and yeah, if they're crap, then okay, I'll keep my stock lights handy in the cab and no big loss otherwise (esp. compared to what I was seeing price-wise at the local stores earlier this week.)

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Underground Lighting is a preferred vendor on here and extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Yes you can go out and buy 10 sets of crappy lights that may or may not melt your headlight housings or you can support our vendors and get a quality set backed with a 2 year warranty

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might want to duck into the candlepower forums, those guys have lighting improvements figured out.

Not that anyone is going to care but I swapped to Philips Nightguide in the high beam and Wagner Night Tech in the low beams (yeah for some reason they want night in the name like as if we install these things for the morning..) . Both bulbs are halogens designed to send less blue down the road to limit glare and eye strain.

But they are not fashionable or expensive so they don't appeal to most people.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Doubt those lights are any where near 10k lumen...

I would check reviews and see what folks are choosing that work well and mimic the light pattern of the halogen bulbs.

Check youtube too. Headlight Revolution looks like they do a fair review of different brands of LED bulbs.

I forgot to mention something important to anyone who stumbles across this - I looked deeper into the specs and the OEM site before I bought 'em, and it's 10k lumen per pair (meaning 5k lumen each). The OEM does make brighter bulbs as well, like up to 8k lumen each (16k/pr).

In my case, it's worth the $40 to try out the lo/high set... my weekly commute to town has the first 30 miles with no streetlights (or traffic lights - yay!), and 5am road conditions are starting to get pitch-black again (up here at the 45th Parallel).

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Go to headlight revolution. They have a video of the install. The supernovas fit without any modification. Their website will show you the best option for the low beam. They recommend the supernovas for their beam pattern and cutoff being close to stock.

I put morimoto 2 strokes in mine and had to drill a hole in the dust cap. I fed the wire through and siliconed the hole to prevent moisture. Not hard but a extra step.

The bulbs I used are great! Way more light and a decent beam pattern with a decent cutoff.

FYI, you will get used to the brightness and crave more, haha.

Also, be wary of lumens, raw versus theoretical. Check the website directly and see if they post that.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Installed and very happy so far. As soon as they go back in sale for $19.99 I’ll pick up another pair for our 2014 big horn. Night and day difference over stock. Light is pure white and excellent projection and improvement. Now I need to put leds in my fogs since they look dumb with the headlights now. Here is a mid install comparison.

upload_2019-9-8_9-42-37.jpeg

upload_2019-9-8_9-43-0.jpeg

upload_2019-9-8_9-43-21.jpeg

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced my halogens with the Supernovas. Wow what a difference. The LED chips are clocked at 3 & 6 o’clock and the beam pattern matches the original almost perfect......except substantially brighter. The pure white light is amazing and puts the yellow tint of the halogens to shame. I highly recommend them!! I’ll be ordering their replacements for the high beams and fogs next. Since the beam pattern is so close to OEM I have yet to be flashed by oncoming traffic.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
@duckman631 - I assume you didn't (or at least that you didn't have to) use AlfaOBD or put in any sort of flicker cancellation adapters for CANBUS compatibility, did you? I figure if necessary, AlfaOBD will do the trick, but I'm curious and wanted to confirm. Mine should show up Thursday for a weekend install (did the slow-boat-from-China free shipping option, since it was supposed to (and is) rain this weekend anyway.)

@Rado - They allegedly come with a 2-year warranty, and normally they're $40/pr (there was a crazy coupon that knocked it down to $20/pr. I jumped for both the H11 low-beams and 9005 hi-beams). Just in case, I also have the OBDLink MX+ fob for AlfaOBD arriving in the same order. I figure if worse comes to worse, I put 'em back in the box and get a $40 refund.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
@duckman631 - I assume you didn't (or at least that you didn't have to) use AlfaOBD or put in any sort of flicker cancellation adapters for CANBUS compatibility, did you? I figure if necessary, AlfaOBD will do the trick, but I'm curious and wanted to confirm. Mine should show up Thursday for a weekend install (did the slow-boat-from-China free shipping option, since it was supposed to (and is) rain this weekend anyway.)

@Rado - They allegedly come with a 2-year warranty, and normally they're $40/pr (there was a crazy coupon that knocked it down to $20/pr. I jumped for both the H11 low-beams and 9005 hi-beams). Just in case, I also have the OBDLink MX+ fob for AlfaOBD arriving in the same order. I figure if worse comes to worse, I put 'em back in the box and get a $40 refund.

I didn’t have to do any programming. Also I did see posts on here about flicker with certain brands but not sure what that is. If it is supposed to be something noticeable, then I don’t see any kind of flicker with these when looking at them from outside or shining them onto something flat so I guess that’s a good thing. Also no error messages. They are back up to $39.99 which I guess isn’t bad but I’ll probably wait to get them for other ram truck when they go on sale again.

badlldoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last week I purchased 3 sets of novsight lights ( h11,9005, 9006) for my 2016 1500 outdoorsman. I installed them 2 days ago in my new yitamotor black housing assembly. Now I am getting radio interference. Although I am not receiving any canbus errors or light out messages. I am now trying to get in contact with them too see if they have solution or are willing to exchange them.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Last week I purchased 3 sets of novsight lights ( h11,9005, 9006) for my 2016 1500 outdoorsman. I installed them 2 days ago in my new yitamotor black housing assembly. Now I am getting radio interference. Although I am not receiving any canbus errors or light out messages. I am now trying to get in contact with them too see if they have solution or are willing to exchange them.

So far no issues with the novsight lights h11 I just put in my quad headlights a few days ago. It’s a 2016 bighorn. I did notice they have several different ones and different wattage. Not sure what your using but mine were 30w each. I ordered another set to go in my 2014 bighorn. Hopefully will have no issues with them either. Also haven’t been flashed yet by oncoming cars so that’s a good thing and the difference between these and stock is amazing.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Just AM/FM, or Sirius? (Assuming Sirius would be fine, since its antenna is on the roof.)

In my case, we get no FM signal out here, and maybe one AM station that comes in real faint... so if it's just AM/FM, I ain't gonna worry in the slightest about it.

Last edited: