Headlight bulb replacement options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badlldoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not sure about Sirius. But it effects am/fm until about 35 mph then the truck must outrun the interference. It's the strangest thing. I am going to try some ferrite chokes as soon as I get a chance. Novsight says to try the resistors they sell, but they won't fit behind the dust cover. If the ferrites don't work I will be sending the bulbs back to Amazon. Then I will try a different brand that surely won't be such a good deal.

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased the LED bulb upgrade from Vanquish Auto. I think I paid $120. Lights were very bright and great.....for nine months......then burned out. Now I'm back to the stock halogens :(

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I am not sure about Sirius. But it effects am/fm until about 35 mph then the truck must outrun the interference. It's the strangest thing. I am going to try some ferrite chokes as soon as I get a chance. Novsight says to try the resistors they sell, but they won't fit behind the dust cover. If the ferrites don't work I will be sending the bulbs back to Amazon. Then I will try a different brand that surely won't be such a good deal.

Can’t say then that I might have same issue. I only use Sirius and I have a shorty antenna so fm sucked anyway with it so there is no way for me to test until I put them in my 2014 since that still has the stock antenna. I’ll try fm after I install them and see if I get same issue.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Updates on the Novsights on my end:

Lo-Beam H11s went in just fine, aligned perfectly.

Hi-beam 9005s were a raging pain in the butt, they almost align perfectly (not 9-3, but more like 9:30-3:30... but they're hi-beams so who cares?) and they barely fit into the housing (you have to be a little bit pushy with it, and be careful where you put the wiring - the fans still work fine, though; holding my ear up to the dust cover, I could hear them spinning w/o issues).

Oh, and no interference with Sirius XM at all (but I can hear a slight interference with AM radio - no FM stations reach out this far for me to test against.)

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Save yourself a head ache and don't mess with your headlights.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Save yourself a head ache and don't mess with your headlights.

Meh - I still have my old ones carefully packed. Out where I live, they really don't produce near enough light for the job (we, well, we don't do streetlights out in the country.)

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've got the stock halogen headlights and the only thing that has been holding me back from upgrading to LED is that I am afraid that the center dash screen will flash the message saying my bulbs are out. Is there a way to upgrade to LED's and trick the computer? I did a full conversion of LED's on my 06 F150 and it worked great for that truck, but then again it didn't have all those fancy electronics either!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can upgrade the stock halogens without going to LED.
I am quite happy with the H9's and 9011's. Cheap and no issues.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
So I've got the stock halogen headlights and the only thing that has been holding me back from upgrading to LED is that I am afraid that the center dash screen will flash the message saying my bulbs are out. Is there a way to upgrade to LED's and trick the computer?

Mine didn't require it (they plugged right in and lit up with no errors, no sweat), but an OBDLink MX fob, plus the AlfaOBD app on your phone, and you can modify pretty much anything on the computers...

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
One last bit... This is the first vehicle ever that takes this much effort just to change a headlight...

Here's what it took last Tuesday:

0912191113.jpg

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
One last bit... This is the first vehicle ever that takes this much effort just to change a headlight...

Here's what it took last Tuesday:

View attachment 180127

Yup. Crazy design. YouTube videos show the guy removing lights without taking out grill and using a long extension to get bottom light housing bolt. Good luck with that because even with the grill off, that bolt was a pain and took forever to remove on both.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Ordered some 9006 yellow led fog bulbs. Can’t wait to see how they look because stock fogs look stupid with the led lows.

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Ordered some 9006 yellow led fog bulbs. Can’t wait to see how they look because stock fogs look stupid with the led lows.

I have a lowly SLT, thus no fog lights... :)

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Final update (since this morning was the first chance I got to actually do this comparison...)

Halogen pix taken on Sept. 10th , LED pix taken this morning, looking down my 500' driveway, front tires on the edge of the asphalt pad in front of the house (though it appears there's a shift to the right).

Lo-Beam: Halogen (L), LED (R)

001-old-lo.jpg 001-new-lo.jpg

Hi-Beam: Halogen (L), LED (R)
002-old-hi.jpg 002-new-hi.jpg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it just the camera or does you LED's wash out the color that much?

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup. Crazy design. YouTube videos show the guy removing lights without taking out grill and using a long extension to get bottom light housing bolt. Good luck with that because even with the grill off, that bolt was a pain and took forever to remove on both.

Easy if you use a magnetic socket and one 12" extension

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Is it just the camera or does you LED's wash out the color that much?

Both. The camera is a crappy LG G3 phone camera, but the higher blue tint of the LEDs will wash out the red colors a bit.