Headlights for a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKY SCOTT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just traded my 13 ram Bighorn for a 16 Laramie, I had great aftermarket LED bulbs installed and they lit up the road great--The Laramie has dim projection lights on it and I can't find a fix to get back to Bright LED light up the road headlights--Any suggestions that won't use up all my fishin money? Thanks in advance.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't understand why but they put halogen bulbs in those projector lamps. I did an HID conversation on mine. Try a LED bulb for now. If you have alpha OBD, you can change the settings in your BCM to eliminate bulb out warnings and other cool stuff too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Better to do HID in projectors.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree! That would be my first choice personally as well. However sounded like he didn't want to spend a lot. I think a morimoto kit is around $200 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HiddenFly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WD6G42D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PGhrFbE671P52 after seeing someone else on here mention them in my reflector headlights and they are BRIGHT. For the price I couldn’t beat them (Amazon flash sale too). I still need to buy the high beams but the lows now are even brighter than my highs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just traded my 13 ram Bighorn for a 16 Laramie, I had great aftermarket LED bulbs installed and they lit up the road great--The Laramie has dim projection lights on it and I can't find a fix to get back to Bright LED light up the road headlights--Any suggestions that won't use up all my fishin money? Thanks in advance.

If you buy the MX+ Bluetooth OBD device on Amazon, and then purchase the android AlfaOBD app, you can use literally any HID kit without the need for adapters, harnesses, and tons of wiring.

A really great quality HID kit is the Innovited HID kit off amazon. Around $35-$40 and if you have AlfaOBD and you activate HID’s and a couple other settings, you can run the Innovited HID Kit without a need for any Canbus wiring crap.

Should run around $140 total for all 3 things and you have an HID kit way better than any led bulbs.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you buy the MX+ Bluetooth OBD device on Amazon, and then purchase the android AlfaOBD app, you can use literally any HID kit without the need for adapters, harnesses, and tons of wiring.

A really great quality HID kit is the Innovited HID kit off amazon. Around $35-$40 and if you have AlfaOBD and you activate HID’s and a couple other settings, you can run the Innovited HID Kit without a need for any Canbus wiring crap.

Should run around $140 total for all 3 things and you have an HID kit way better than any led bulbs.

Some people have had great luck with the Innovited kit. I was not one of them. Mine were a very dingy yellowish greenish in output and almost no usable light. That was the 35w 5000k Innovited kit. I will say though, my experience with them is not the norm by comparison to everyone else. Everybody else seems to have great results with the kit, just sharing my personal experience with it.

Currently, I'm running Hylux 45w ballasts and Morimoto 6500k bulbs in my TYC projectors. Output is closer to 5000k and extremely bright.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Some people have had great luck with the Innovited kit. I was not one of them. Mine were a very dingy yellowish greenish in output and almost no usable light. That was the 35w 5000k Innovited kit. I will say though, my experience with them is not the norm by comparison to everyone else. Everybody else seems to have great results with the kit, just sharing my personal experience with it.

Currently, I'm running Hylux 45w ballasts and Morimoto 6500k bulbs in my TYC projectors. Output is closer to 5000k and extremely bright.

Yea I had great results.

But then again, I am also running morimoto D2S ballasts and bulbs in my AlphaRex Retrofit, so I went stupid expensive on that route [emoji23]

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I had great results.

But then again, I am also running morimoto D2S ballasts and bulbs in my AlphaRex Retrofit, so I went stupid expensive on that route [emoji23]

I ran them for 1 day in my Alpharex gen 1 (stock H7 projectors that came in them). Went back to TYC projectors and the alpharex are sitting in my garage while I decide what to do with them.

I’ve considered opening them up and fitting a different projector for the low beam, but I’m not sure I have the patience to try and make it work.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I ran them for 1 day in my Alpharex gen 1 (stock H7 projectors that came in them). Went back to TYC projectors and the alpharex are sitting in my garage while I decide what to do with them.

I’ve considered opening them up and fitting a different projector for the low beam, but I’m not sure I have the patience to try and make it work.

Lmao I did the same thing. Got the AlphaRex lights, installed the Innovited hid H7 kit, ran it for almost 2 weeks then sent it back because I decided to crack open the AlphaRex lights.

Let me tell you, the AlphaRex lights are expert level 100 retrofit. Nothing is like normal retrofits and even me with around 100 headlights under my belt, struggled for a few weeks making custom fabrication brackets for them. I tried 5-6 different styles, methods, ways to mount them and none of them ever mounted them in the correct spot for the housing and front bezel, or they were not sturdy and were going to bounce on bumps.

I finally found a method and had to make custom fab brackets combined with jb weld once I dialed them in. I can still adjust them horizontally with the stock AlphaRex adjuster. They are so badass and amazing. Also used AlfaOBD so no annoying harnesses everywhere.

I had them on my truck for about 2 months but I used the VViViD Hex+ Smoked Hexagonal Headlight Tint on the DRL lenses and that combined with the weak white/amber of the profile prism RGB strips, the DRL output and turn signal was super weak. So I took them off and reopened them and installed Profile Sequential Strips for the DRLS and removed the VViViD vinyl tint. Just resealed then and putting them back in tomorrow.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lmao I did the same thing. Got the AlphaRex lights, installed the Innovited hid H7 kit, ran it for almost 2 weeks then sent it back because I decided to crack open the AlphaRex lights.

Let me tell you, the AlphaRex lights are expert level 100 retrofit. Nothing is like normal retrofits and even me with around 100 headlights under my belt, struggled for a few weeks making custom fabrication brackets for them. I tried 5-6 different styles, methods, ways to mount them and none of them ever mounted them in the correct spot for the housing and front bezel, or they were not sturdy and were going to bounce on bumps.

I finally found a method and had to make custom fab brackets combined with jb weld once I dialed them in. I can still adjust them horizontally with the stock AlphaRex adjuster. They are so badass and amazing. Also used AlfaOBD so no annoying harnesses everywhere.

I had them on my truck for about 2 months but I used the VViViD Hex+ Smoked Hexagonal Headlight Tint on the DRL lenses and that combined with the weak white/amber of the profile prism RGB strips, the DRL output and turn signal was super weak. So I took them off and reopened them and installed Profile Sequential Strips for the DRLS and removed the VViViD vinyl tint. Just resealed then and putting them back in tomorrow.

Do you have any pictures or can you offer any tips on the bracket you made? I’m not interested in changing anything at all except the low beam projectors. Don’t need new high beams, don’t need fancy LEDs for the turn signals or drl, not smoking anything, I just want better projectors for the low beam. I’ve never opened a set of headlights, but I’m quite crafty and very much mechanically inclined.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have any pictures or can you offer any tips on the bracket you made? I’m not interested in changing anything at all except the low beam projectors. Don’t need new high beams, don’t need fancy LEDs for the turn signals or drl, not smoking anything, I just want better projectors for the low beam. I’ve never opened a set of headlights, but I’m quite crafty and very much mechanically inclined.

Yes I do. The hardest part was the low beam projector. Getting it mounted level both Horizontally and Vertically since there is not the usual bulb hole or any sort of spot to mount the projector. The AlphaRex use a 4 “post” mounting design, but the D2S does not come close to mounting to it. I have no idea if the H1 8.0 or any other projector might have the bolt holes lineup better.

Here are some pics:

e92f83af5bc04bdea185908ddda92873.jpg
5efa8173053263a47ce7c277c1eed168.jpg
be49209dd2ea601732e7029a18cf52b0.jpg
d8ad971078856386d37b5e7997e7ebc2.jpg
b4f1304aa3be3705d7772471738246ba.jpg
d86e32dc1880387db68ccd883084459d.jpg

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I do. The hardest part was the low beam projector. Getting it mounted level both Horizontally and Vertically since there is not the usual bulb hole or any sort of spot to mount the projector. The AlphaRex use a 4 “post” mounting design, but the D2S does not come close to mounting to it. I have no idea if the H1 8.0 or any other projector might have the bolt holes lineup better.

Here are some pics:

e92f83af5bc04bdea185908ddda92873.jpg
5efa8173053263a47ce7c277c1eed168.jpg
be49209dd2ea601732e7029a18cf52b0.jpg
d8ad971078856386d37b5e7997e7ebc2.jpg
b4f1304aa3be3705d7772471738246ba.jpg
d86e32dc1880387db68ccd883084459d.jpg

Wow, that’s a lot of mess to get it to work. Is that white bracket something you 3D printed?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No that is part of the original AlphaRex internals.

Gotcha. I might try to mess with them. I’m pretty happy with my TYC projectors, but I like the look of the alpharex. If their H7 projectors weren’t wonky, they’d be great. They’re rotated 45 degrees (the groove for the tab on the bulbs sits about 1:30-2:00 looking at the back of it). When you put HOD in them, the return wire is not at 6:00 and it throws off the hotspot. I tried modifying the bulb base and shimming it to fix it, but could never get it right so I just went back to the TYC.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gotcha. I might try to mess with them. I’m pretty happy with my TYC projectors, but I like the look of the alpharex. If their H7 projectors weren’t wonky, they’d be great. They’re rotated 45 degrees (the groove for the tab on the bulbs sits about 1:30-2:00 looking at the back of it). When you put HOD in them, the return wire is not at 6:00 and it throws off the hotspot. I tried modifying the bulb base and shimming it to fix it, but could never get it right so I just went back to the TYC.

That’s really weird. Mine were perfectly straight and the output was really good for the cheap projectors they have in them. I was shocked at how nice it was compared to crappy eBay “projector” headlights. I only opened them up and swapped the D2S in there because I wanted a true projector in there and a bunch of RGB stuff and I love the look of them. But if I didn’t do that, I’d have been ok with the output of them from the factory.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That’s really weird. Mine were perfectly straight and the output was really good for the cheap projectors they have in them. I was shocked at how nice it was compared to crappy eBay “projector” headlights. I only opened them up and swapped the D2S in there because I wanted a true projector in there and a bunch of RGB stuff and I love the look of them. But if I didn’t do that, I’d have been ok with the output of them from the factory.

The part colored black in the picture is the groove where the tab sits. The screw is at 12:00 (where the tab is sitting). To get the bulb to seat properly, I had to rotate it to get the tab into the groove, and the hotspot was jacked. I tried cutting a new tab in it so it would sit in the groove and fully seat, but no matter what I did with shins and manipulating the metal base, I could not get the hotspots right.

the hotspots and output was perfect with the LED bulbs, but I was out driving the beam once I got to 45-50- mph.

D945FD55-4B1E-47E9-BCCB-E51AD3052D86.png

rb5064

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WD6G42D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PGhrFbE671P52 after seeing someone else on here mention them in my reflector headlights and they are BRIGHT. For the price I couldn’t beat them (Amazon flash sale too). I still need to buy the high beams but the lows now are even brighter than my highs.

Just found your post about these bulbs... How did you manage to install the bulbs and then reinstall the dust covers on the back of the bulb housing? If you left the housing off, have you had any problems with moisture build-up inside the headlight housing?

rb5064

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have the MS+ and the AlphaOBD app... are you saying that I can buy the HID kits and use the bulbs without using the ballasts?