Hear me out.. Does a Pedal Commander really work??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love this forum! There are so many electrical engineers to help us noobies out with technical questions.

I have a throttle controller, just another brand. Same concept, same results. Just much cheaper.

That being said, I think it really wakes up my truck and my pedal. I'm not an engineer and could care less about sine waveforms, response signal generators, drive wire doodads, or what not. This thing just works. FYI make sure you're in the middle of nowhere on a nice flat road when you try the ultimate setting. You'll be screaming like a banshee and cleaning your seat after.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I definitely know our trucks have a little bit of pedal lag. I know all the different options that can "get rid of it" and everything. But I've thought about buying a PC and here's my thoughts and I want to know who agrees with me, and if you disagree, with me why do you think I'm wrong?

I'm my profession (network engineer) your connection is only as fast as the slowest link. I believe that carries over to a lot of different things and I believe this is one of them.

I could be wrong in this and correct me of I am but the PCM reads the throttle position sensor and tells the throttle body to open up to whatever percentage.

Now if this is true then you will always be tied to how fast can the pcm read the sensor. How fast can it tell the TB to open up and then how fast can the truck responds to the TB opening up.

I'm my opinion plugging a device into the pedal itself can't make every other device react faster unless every other device is programmed or changed to read faster.

Am I correct in my thought? Am I wrong? If I'm wrong can you explain to me why? It would help me convince myself to get a Pedal Commander lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Throttle Response = throttling range. Typical data handshake scenario. 1 to 1 ratio is less than ideal. They say in the world of logic electronics that it is more responsive than the mechanical brother, i think not. Programming is only as good as humanly possible. I believe every human being on this planets pensil does have an erasure. We make mistakes in this less than ideal world. My analogy, my opinion....

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being a frugal person I bought this last year:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Throttle-Controller-9-MODE-Pedal-Accelerator-Fuel-efficient-for-Ram/172866213044?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It certainly woke my truck up. Plugs in at the pedal. Set on sport mode when you put your foot into it there is instant response. Yes it is a cheapy but I was happy with it. For the money if it craps out after a year or two I got my money's worth.
Yup the 9 Drive. I paid $55 US 2 months ago and absolutely love it.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I love this forum! There are so many electrical engineers to help us noobies out with technical questions.

I have a throttle controller, just another brand. Same concept, same results. Just much cheaper.

That being said, I think it really wakes up my truck and my pedal. I'm not an engineer and could care less about sine waveforms, response signal generators, drive wire doodads, or what not. This thing just works. FYI make sure you're in the middle of nowhere on a nice flat road when you try the ultimate setting. You'll be screaming like a banshee and cleaning your seat after.

Some of us just know how to read and we learn to do new things.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Being a frugal person I bought this last year:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Throttle-Controller-9-MODE-Pedal-Accelerator-Fuel-efficient-for-Ram/172866213044?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It certainly woke my truck up. Plugs in at the pedal. Set on sport mode when you put your foot into it there is instant response. Yes it is a cheapy but I was happy with it. For the money if it craps out after a year or two I got my money's worth.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there's nothing short of a mortgage payment at that link. $570 + for that. Am I missing something? Is there a Harbor Freight style 90% off coupon for it?

Killface3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
####

Agreed. A tune is more involved and targets more than throttle response but it is also more expensive and potentially risky to the engine components reliability. The Pentastar is pretty much maxed out as far as HP and TQ goes but you'll still find peeps trying to milk more out of it via CAI and tune. In my opinion a tune on a stock pentastar equals the effects of a massage to a wooden limb; if truly want some serious power a SC and a tune would be the way to go ...but before that ...it might be even better to look into a sports car ....talking about built for purpose
I have a custom tune piggybacking a sprint booster! It's bananas!

Casey Phalen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just installed my pedal commander 2 days ago, and i am blown away at the difference. I immedietly was 100% content with my purchase, i got mine for $200 shipped, which was a killer deal.

But yes, it works. My truck when i would floor it, it would take forever for the truck to respond and start moving. But with the PC, i can barely even brush against the pedal and it freaking screams and rips. Its such a major difference, like jaw dropping difference.

I took my GF for a ride and did not tell her about the PC. I floored my truck and she grabbed the pillar and the center console and said "holy **** what did you do to your truck its so much faster". Now i know its not "faster" per say, but it without a doubt seems faster and feels a hell of a lot faster with the PC.

i don’t think I have ever had a girl grab my pillar and say it’s so much faster hmmm. Lol sprint boosters work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I've decided let's see. The $50-$60 9drive ones on ebay are a pretty good bargain for the same thing.

So I do have a engine and trans tune with Jay. I still notice lag is there. But of course the pedal is more sensitive. I've recently turned the throttle booster to 0% per my i3 (which I confirmed with Jay can be done as effectively as him sending me a tune with it set to 0).

So on the fly adjustability is a very good thing compared to re-editing a tune every time I just want to add a little throttle boost to find the perfect sensitivity for me. So once I get the 9 drive and get some digs / rolls / Dailey driving in I'll let you know my thoughts.

David Richey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kinda like dancing with yourself, not the real thing, but it’ll do. $500- $600 for a dyno tune. Nothing like the real thing baby!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I only have a master's degree, so my reading comprehension is suspect.

However, I love learning new things daily. Especially how to insert a very large sized catheter in an orifice.

I work for people who have master and doctorate degrees. They need me to make the computers week mo betta.

Beside, I learnt in California that the only people who join the military are those who cannot qualify for college.

18 computer schools in 20 years active duty military has worked well for me!!

SemperFi

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Petal commander is a HACK. Plain and simple. It remaps petal input to make it appear that suddenly the truck is much more responsive.
What it is doing is taking say light throttle input and sending high throttle input to the ECU. The truck thinks your hamming on the accelerator and responds accordingly.
So you're saying that the inherent lag that many of us notice is just because we don't mash the pedal? You're saying it's not designed into the system to make the vehicle more fuel efficient? You're saying that Pedal Commander is not really removing that lag, it's just sending a stronger signal for more power? Do you actually KNOW that information? If so, I would like to read about it as I'm considering this product.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So you're saying that the inherent lag that many of us notice is just because we don't mash the pedal? You're saying it's not designed into the system to make the vehicle more fuel efficient? You're saying that Pedal Commander is not really removing that lag, it's just sending a stronger signal for more power? Do you actually KNOW that information? If so, I would like to read about it as I'm considering this product.

I'm not saying it doesn't work but I'm dubious of any fuel mileage gains. Keep in mind most all modern vehicle, especially RAM trucks are "Drive by wire".
The action of your right foot on the petal results in a calculation made by the ECU. In this case the ECU is easily fooled with a hack device.
Petal Command doesn't alter engine management perimeters so there is no real tuning going on here. It simply substitutes your petal inputs for another according to a different curve. I'm sure the econo curve will make your RAM as slow as granny pushing a shopping cart after a canned vegetable sale.

I guess STEERING COMMANDER is next. Plug it in and your Ram will steer like a F1 car. ;)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Well for me, I drove a brand new truck less than 100 miles, installed one and it was a totally different driving truck. I know it didn't add HP, or help gas mileage, didn't care, I knew what it did, and worked for my needs.
Within seconds of installing and making driving selections, I knew it wasn't a marketing gimmick.