Help needed for engine oil - 5w-20 or 0w-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes I'm aware of the meaning the oil's viscosity ratings.
Could you elaborate why you'd use 0w-30. Isnt 20 good enough when hot?

This is quite controversial; many here would never consider running any other weight other than what's written on the fill cap. But many of us run a 30 weight because the thicker viscosity offers more protection. If you're just daily driving your truck and it never gets hot then you can probably get away with the thinner stuff, but if you tow or if your engine gets quite hot, 30 weight is recommended.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why not something like PUP 5w30 as it has a pour point of -48 according to a 5/2020 pdf I just read on the Shell web site, if one needs an oil with lower pour point then an oil pan heater is in need, a block heater or both...

I don't think pour point by itself is the end all and be all, I forget what the reasoning there is but it was explained on bitog a few times.

In any case, if that's the attraction then I stand by my recommendation for HPL Premium Plus 0w-30 which has a PP of -72F (-58C). This oil was specifically designed for harsh winter conditions.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'm now running HPL SC 0W30 and the cold start in minus temps is appreciably noticeable, even compared to when I was running RL HP 5W30 last winter.

I drive a lot, and going to the :W30 oil really made a significant improvement in my summer driving enjoyment. I could tell my engine was much happier on it vs the previous :W20 oil I used to run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357