Hemi being discontinuted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDubCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yer so right. Twin turbos often need a catch-can to keep turbos from coking up. Worse, twin turbos means you must have a diagnostic to determine which turbo is underboosting. And if turbos fail, that leaves you with a low compression V-6 because turboed engines must be able to avoid sudden boost damaging the engine. So let Ford/Ford Owners pay the cost to figure out how to keep the sci-fi engine design working. Hemi may not make the same power and all that, but it's so much easier to fix.
The ecoboost gets a lot better mileage than the Hemi, when not towing. When towing the fuel economy is similar as is the power output. I just went from an EB that got 16-18 mpg to a 6.4 Hemi that gets 10-12 mpg. For the amount of driving I do, it wasn’t a big deal to me, but could be to those who put a lot of commuting miles on the their truck.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haven't read all posts but want to ask about the charging of these vehicles. Has the engineers and intellihencia thought this thru? I haven't seen anywhere that this is being posed. I have a big problem wondering what will really happen once millions of electric vehicles are on the road. How will there ever be enough power for all these vehicles once that happens? The demand for electricity will exponentially increase(we will not only have to continue our necessary increased supply of power for the masses plus now the new added electricity needed to power these millions of vehicles). Where is this ominous increase of demand going to come from? Maybe we will not only curtail the decrease of energy from fossil fuel, we will have to vastly increase fossil fuel energy to try to keep up with the new geometrically affected need for energy an electric flotilla of vehicles will demand? Wouldn't that defeat the simple reason of the whole concept of what the experts are designing these electric vehicles for?.......decreasing the dependence on fossil fuel? Not to mention the myriad new demands for electricity and those other cause and effect problems that might arise that will make this whole concept far worse than our current '''''problem''''' as viewed by the ''''''''''experts''''''''''!!!!!
I have mentioned this before also. If there is any hope for this electric vehicle thing to work they must clean up and establish a source first. That needs to be done anyway. In CA 50% of the electricity is imported, yet the environmentalists want to shutdown Diablo nuke plant anrun electric cars plus import people. Seems like a lot contradictions.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The ecoboost gets a lot better mileage than the Hemi, when not towing. When towing the fuel economy is similar as is the power output. I just went from an EB that got 16-18 mpg to a 6.4 Hemi that gets 10-12 mpg. For the amount of driving I do, it wasn’t a big deal to me, but could be to those who put a lot of commuting miles on the their truck.

That's a very poor comparison. You're comparing the MPG of a very light half ton to a heavy 3/4 ton, not just the engine inside both. The 6.4 is not designed for getting groceries, it's designed to make power and take a beating all day every day. It has totally different design goals, MPG being near the bottom as they don't even rate 3/4 tons in the EPA.

Yes the F150 eco boost will get somewhat better MPG than the 5.7 hemi in a half ton, unloaded. When towing, it WILL get worse. There are a number of youtube truck channels demonstrating this. Even the hybrid, makes no difference. The ecoboost makes more peak HP, when you get into the turbos and its shoving air down it's throat, it absolutely needs to increase the fuel delivery to keep the proper fuel/air mixture. You can't make that kind of power without using gas, it's simple physics.

So you pick and choose; do you want max power so you can win fake stoplight wars? Or do you want a solid, reliable engine that can take a beating? I've heard too many reports of ecoboosts on the side of the road or at the top of a mountain, overheated.

Aircommuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Electric vehicles are more efficient than combustion motors, using less power resources in general to run. The electricity provided by the electric grid is much more diverse than the singular petrol fuel, is less subject to impediment and is less centrally controlled. This diversity reduces the likelihood of crazy surges in price and actual (or perceived) reduction of supply.

There is no doubt the petroleum spigot cannot just be turned off, we are in a transition, one that has been projected and understood since electric vehicles have become viable. Similarly, the availability and demand for electric vehicles and other non-petroleum fuel vehicles will also not switch overnight. You don’t need to worry, we will still be dependent on oil for quite a while longer. In fact, 2021 saw more demand for petroleum than before the pandemic (not because of a higher number of electric vehicles on the road). However, with alternative, clean, renewable fuels like solar, wind, hydro, etc. becoming much cheaper (solar is the cheapest energy/kWh), shortages of energy from diverse and local sources will be much less of a challenge than maintaining our dependence on global oil and the few who control it. There is A LOT less that can go wrong when energy is locally sourced and clean than when it has to be extracted from the earth, transported (possibly spilled), refined, transported again (possibly spilled), delivered (possibly spilled), burned and mitigated.

There is still infrastructure to be put in place and you are seeing that happening as we speak. Production and demand for electric/alternative fuel vehicles will not outpace the available infrastructure to support them. I have a plug-in hybrid car that gets more than 950 miles per 9.5 gal. tank of gas, my electric bill has hardly increased over a noticeable variance. Petroleum and carbon fuels will not be a major factor when the majority of vehicles on the road are electric or non-petroleum, clean fuel vehicles.

Electric vehicles will not cause for more energy problems, pollution or increased dependence on fossil fuels. Electric vehicles will solve many of the geopolitical and economic challenges central to our addiction to petroleum and other carbon fuels.There is plenty of information on the subject which can be found on the interwebs. I am happy to help with resources, if you care to read about the subject.
You can’t compare your hybrid electric usage cost until all the taxes are added on.
Plus those little scooter cars don’t make up the masses. Then there is battery wastes. Solar costs per watt is a phony advertisement as they always price on gross panel rating not net annual output. They never include replacement of the panels and how wasteful the their construction design is. I know because I am a contractor and I also designed systems.
The web info is just a lot of manipulated information to sell ones products.
The environmentalists are against wind power, nuclear power, hydro power and all earth extracted power. Not much is remaining.

royfm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
haven't read all posts but want to ask about the charging of these vehicles. Has the engineers and intellihencia thought this thru? I haven't seen anywhere that this is being posed. I have a big problem wondering what will really happen once millions of electric vehicles are on the road. How will there ever be enough power for all these vehicles once that happens? The demand for electricity will exponentially increase(we will not only have to continue our necessary increased supply of power for the masses plus now the new added electricity needed to power these millions of vehicles). Where is this ominous increase of demand going to come from? Maybe we will not only curtail the decrease of energy from fossil fuel, we will have to vastly increase fossil fuel energy to try to keep up with the new geometrically affected need for energy an electric flotilla of vehicles will demand? Wouldn't that defeat the simple reason of the whole concept of what the experts are designing these electric vehicles for?.......decreasing the dependence on fossil fuel? Not to mention the myriad new demands for electricity and those other cause and effect problems that might arise that will make this whole concept far worse than our current '''''problem''''' as viewed by the ''''''''''experts''''''''''!!!!!
To say the least....
The millions upon mliions of fossil fuel cars, the administration remains silent about the disposil of all these cars, trucks, construction equipment etc., do we send them to the junk yard, do we park them on the street, driveway, or what is the plan. The "experts" who advise our leader fail to mention all the problems associated with his Green energy plan.
Europe has already found that the windmill/solar cell alternative does not work, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Today, the only alternative to fossil fuel/coal power plants is Nuclear power, this is clean, but, obviously, there is much resistance to this alternative.
Auto makers are spending billions on electric without giving much thought to the problems that you and I have mentioned. The other day our leader mentioned 40 miles per gallon by '025.
I say 'really'.
How much more CO2 is being generated by producing and shipping oil to us from overseas, doesn't make much sense, does it.
Concluding, the only 'clean' alternative to fossil and coal is Nuclear, and realisticy, 100% electric car/truck/construction is years away, not to mention what we do with all on-the-road vehicles today.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
I can understand that could be a problem in Texas. There isn't really a safe and stable power system in Texas to begin with. Maybe Texas with such a high GDP should invest in making their power system more stable. But Texas unlike other states do not have connections on the larger power grids of other states.
But what will happen if you wait 20-30 years and only 17 years of oil left? The world has proven reserves equivalent to 46.6 times its annual consumption levels. This means it has about 47 years of oil left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves). And that consumption is getting bigger every day.
So we have a finite time when we have no choice but use other sources of energy. Nuclear power works on a big scale but is expensive and produces waste that is hard to deal with. No one wants that waste in their back yard.
Texas uses natural gas for the majority of energy sources at 46%, coal is at 18%. Wind power is the largest so called green energy at 23%. Nuclear at 11% and solar at 2%.
Since we know two sources are not unlimited and will run out, which source is best to use?
Natural gas failed to work during that outage, it froze at the well, distribution lines, and valves. Of course in other states it did not happen, now who's fault is it that the plants failed? Abbot said more gas plants should be built.. but if they all fail again at the same time, it doesn't fix the problem. The wind turbines stopped working, they were not protected from the cold either. Meanwhile in states where it gets cold, turbines were turning freely.
It seems Texas as a state went as cheap as it could to increase profits, who cares if those who buy our power get any, I got mine!
The majority of our major power grids in the US are antiquated and need serious help. As more people are born, electric grids stagnate where profits are in a pocket and bare minimum maintenance is done. Profit before people seems to be the main issue.
And sure making power locations to charge an electric car will cost money. But no different from oil, where stations were few and far between when gas powered cars showed up. That was no different than now.
I love my diesel, I really do not want an electric one. Thankfully ill be dead by the time oil runs out. My children and grand children and the few great grand kids I have will see oil die as a source of fuel. I can imagine the price then too. Alternative fuel sources are pretty much all we will have to look forward too.
I can see it now, one of my great grand kids putting an electric motor in my 1956 Packard clipper. I dread the thought.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't claim to be a know it all about any of this but all I hear about what people want in the future has to do with eliminating jobs. Getting rid of cashiers, getting rid of fast food jobs by going to ordering your own food on a machine. Getting self driving trucks to get rid of truck drivers. Making electric cars and getting rid of mechanics, that will also get rid of the majority of parts stores, which gets rid of parts suppliers. We have robots to take a persons job. The ones that believe that electric will be cheap when your new fuel source will be the electric companies (The new oil tycoons) good luck with that thought. I haven't even come up with a drop in the bucket with the eliminated people out of work IN THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE. Hope you pay your robots well because I don't know who is going to buy all these technical products because many of your customers you hope for can't buy your product without a job. The America I use to know was about creating jobs, not eliminate them. Don't see how that's going to work but good luck to the one's that's going to live in the new America. Doubt I'll live long enough to see all of this anyway, just a thought!

jjfitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is the "inconvenient truth"! Getting Dino fueled cars off the highway isn't the only agenda! Government is already poised to take over the power grid and next is controlling citizen movement by controlling current flow! :(

BDubCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can’t compare your hybrid electric usage cost until all the taxes are added on.
Plus those little scooter cars don’t make up the masses. Then there is battery wastes. Solar costs per watt is a phony advertisement as they always price on gross panel rating not net annual output. They never include replacement of the panels and how wasteful the their construction design is. I know because I am a contractor and I also designed systems.
The web info is just a lot of manipulated information to sell ones products.
The environmentalists are against wind power, nuclear power, hydro power and all earth extracted power. Not much is remaining.
“All the taxes”? You mean the tax benefits? Loose invocation of “taxes” is the argumentative technique of a weak position. Including “all the taxes”, my fuel savings (including electricity use) nearly pays for the vehicle vs. the EcoBoost that was driven daily by my wife. My “scooter car” will smoke my Hemi off the line.

Lol! Always like the appeal to authority. Being a contractor does not make one an energy expert. Dismissing ALL of the available information on the internet’s wholesale, as an advertisement is as nonsensical as the rest of the statement. How wasteful is solar panel production vs. petroleum extraction, refinement and transportation? The net cost per kWh, of NET energy output of solar is the least expensive, form of viable energy generation, producing less net waste ANY carbon energy, period. You could not provide any credible evidence to the contrary. I challenge you to try.

The useful life of a solar panel should be decades. If you are designing systems that need to be replaced with more frequency, maybe designing solar systems is not your bag, perhaps you are getting cheap, garbage panels?

How much “battery waste” is there? What is the net after recycling? How does this compare to combustion waste, which may not be as visible, but is certainly impactful.

You can find someone who is against just about anything, if it serves their bias (as you have demonstrated). But, if your position cannot be supported by objective information, again, as you have demonstrated, one has to really consider the weight they give to the conjecture they are hearing.

BDubCA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a very poor comparison. You're comparing the MPG of a very light half ton to a heavy 3/4 ton, not just the engine inside both. The 6.4 is not designed for getting groceries, it's designed to make power and take a beating all day every day. It has totally different design goals, MPG being near the bottom as they don't even rate 3/4 tons in the EPA.

Yes the F150 eco boost will get somewhat better MPG than the 5.7 hemi in a half ton, unloaded. When towing, it WILL get worse. There are a number of youtube truck channels demonstrating this. Even the hybrid, makes no difference. The ecoboost makes more peak HP, when you get into the turbos and its shoving air down it's throat, it absolutely needs to increase the fuel delivery to keep the proper fuel/air mixture. You can't make that kind of power without using gas, it's simple physics.

So you pick and choose; do you want max power so you can win fake stoplight wars? Or do you want a solid, reliable engine that can take a beating? I've heard too many reports of ecoboosts on the side of the road or at the top of a mountain, overheated.
Lol! I traded my EB for the Hemi (my third Hemi), so my preference is clear. The point is, the twin turbo puts out as much power as the Hemi at lower RPM and generally gets better fuel economy when not towing relative to the available platforms. This is not me stating an opinion, it just is what it is.

Mhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly the lack of future power availability is intentional. The real plan is to make it so only the very wealthy can afford to have the freedom to drive. The rest of us will have to be happy taking the bus or riding bicycles.
The lack of plans to increase energy production is by design. The true intent of mandating EV, s is to better control the population. Only the privileged or very wealthy will have the freedom to drive. The rest of us will be relagated to taking the bus, train, or bicycle.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol! I traded my EB for the Hemi (my third Hemi), so my preference is clear. The point is, the twin turbo puts out as much power as the Hemi at lower RPM and generally gets better fuel economy when not towing relative to the available platforms. This is not me stating an opinion, it just is what it is.

Why were you comparing a half ton to a 3/4 ton and then saying the one gets better MPG? Not trying to be rude but I don't see the usefulness in that as its kind of like stating that grass is green in the spring.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
most likely some folks know very little about Texas but are quick to be critical. we have our own power grid for a reason. we have more wind turbines than most other states, we have millions of solar panels in use and we have pretty much unlimited natural gas for heating and power generation. despite the mismanagement of ERCOT last year, electricity here is cheap and plentiful. heck my bill for my 2000 sf house with pool and shop and christmas lighting to rival the Griswalds and a wife who bakes something everyday is 136$ this month.

Patriot_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out where I am , if you get of the main #1 highway , I have driven 400-500 miles and no electric chargers to be found . Service trucks electric, O.K. in high population areas, but what happens when you are on the road all day ,out in th sticks. reminds me of a yur tube picture, a generator in the box to charge the stupid battery.
I can see it in town , would be great, 220V in the garage@50 amp, I would around 1-2K maybe? If you have to change the mains , foret that number, and that is more than a AC takes, so power bill should double, unless I am missing somethin.
I'm pretty certain there were folks making similar points when the big initiative was to transition from horse and buggy to the model T. I feel comfortable that there are smarter folks out there than you or I who have got this covered.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
there are no doubt smarter folks than most of us working on things like this but having the knowledge and knowing the science doesnt keep them from often being steered by the politics and money involved. when the model T came out and electricity and indoor plumbing became available, nobody had to force it on the folks.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
there are no doubt smarter folks than most of us working on things like this but having the knowledge and knowing the science doesnt keep them from often being steered by the politics and money involved. when the model T came out and electricity and indoor plumbing became available, nobody had to force it on the folks.

Unfortunately we don't live in that world anymore. True capitalism (where the best solution floats to the top all on its own) doesn't exist in USA/Canada, oil companies are subsidized as well.

So money and politics affect both the current system and the upcoming electric system.

Also remember that consumers don't always pick the best choice, even in a system devoid of greed and politics. Too many stubborn people clinging to the past because that's all they've ever known and they are simply incapable of change either due to age or character or stupidity. I suffer from that flaw too, not ragging on anyone in particular.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Read another article today on materials mining for batteries encroaching on remaining tribal lands in the U.S. The utopians thinking we get something for nothing are in for a rude awakening - it takes a lot of mined material to make a battery and an electric motor.

I'm not advocating not changing anything - I'm advocating some common sense instead of a false either / or utopian fantasy. There is no single perfect choice in life. Only hard work and compromise.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Read another article today on materials mining for batteries encroaching on remaining tribal lands in the U.S. The utopians thinking we get something for nothing are in for a rude awakening - it takes a lot of mined material to make a battery and an electric motor.

I'm not advocating not changing anything - I'm advocating some common sense instead of a false either / or utopian fantasy. There is no single perfect choice in life. Only hard work and compromise.

Yes and in another spot in the country no doubt a different tribe or group of people are complaining about oil spills on their land or in the ocean and all the dead sea life washing up on the beach. There are rude awakenings everywhere, but there will be no stopping the electric juggernaut.