Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a DDM kit and had nothing but problems with mine, about a month ago i got the mori moto kit from Retrofit source and love them, they are alot brighter and ive had no problems with them. Look into those.

AlwaysSomethin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram
Engine
5.7L
do you have a 2015, because thats who is showing the issues. if you're in a 2014 and having issues, theres something else up (that the relay kit may help you)

I and my best friend both have 2015 R/Ts....

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yeah it still amazes me that OEMs even consider using halogens anymore. Every once in a while I will have a rental car or drive a friends car that has halogens and I always ask them if they have a headlight out or how to turn the lights on. Sometimes you cant even tell if they are on its so bad.

But there is only one reason they don't put HID or LED systems in from the factory. That reason is cost. You would be surprised how cost conscious they are about things like this. Companies like Enlight or Morimoto could go to OEMs and say "we can supply an integrated DOT approved HID headlight system which will cost only $250 more than a standard halogen setup and Gaurentee 3 years performance" Their response would be no.

The true manufacturing cost of a reflector housing + halogen bulb is probably 75% less expensive than a proper HID system. That is a deal breaking for some OEMs. But in the next 2-3 years you will see a shift to LED headlights. Ford is already offering OEM HID systems in their F150 projector headlight option. Dodge will be forced to improve their lighting systems to stay competitive.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it still amazes me that OEMs even consider using halogens anymore. Every once in a while I will have a rental car or drive a friends car that has halogens and I always ask them if they have a headlight out or how to turn the lights on. Sometimes you cant even tell if they are on its so bad.

For that EXACT reason, is why I want HIDs in my truck. I have had HID in almost every vehicle i've owned... When I go to a new vehicle with halogens, I always find myself wondering if the lights are on or working... I have to a admit, when I first bought the truck it was OK... As soon as I had HIDs in for a day, that was done for lol, so thats why I need them to work!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

But there is only one reason they don't put HID or LED systems in from the factory. That reason is cost. You would be surprised how cost conscious they are about things like this. Companies like Enlight or Morimoto could go to OEMs and say "we can supply an integrated DOT approved HID headlight system which will cost only $250 more than a standard halogen setup and Gaurentee 3 years performance" Their response would be no.

The true manufacturing cost of a reflector housing + halogen bulb is probably 75% less expensive than a proper HID system. That is a deal breaking for some OEMs. But in the next 2-3 years you will see a shift to LED headlights. Ford is already offering OEM HID systems in their F150 projector headlight option. Dodge will be forced to improve their lighting systems to stay competitive.

Man brands have OEM hids and LED now

Hell the damn Toyota Corolla comes standard with LED headlights. Not so special now Benz CLS and Audi R8..lol

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Based on my experience with automotive lighting, I do think you will see LED headlight take over the OEM market. You see, HID technology is actually quite old at this point. An OEM quality HID system from Panasonic, Denso, etc.. the cost and complexity of those systems is pretty much fixed and has been reduced to about its lowest point.

LED technology is still rapid advancing in terms of performance, and most importantly, cost down manufacturing. The driver electronics for LED's is much, much less complicated than the electronics for an HID bulb. And at this point, 1000+ lumen LED emitters WAY less than a Philips D2S HID bulb.

OEM's are just learning how to integrate LED emitters into headlights. Its a very different challenge optically, but many companies are using them now. As mentioned above, some of the most basic cars like the Toyota Corolla have them. An there are probably 20+ other vehicles from other OEMs which are doing LED headlights now.

I have personally been working on an aftermarket LED headlight kit for over 3 years. Something akin to buying an aftermarket HID kit. LED has several advantages in terms of dealing with all of these electrical issues on vehicles like the RAM. But getting HID levels of brightness reliably is no easy task. Its much easier to design a complete headlight housing or LED projector than it is to design a proper LED headlight bulb that will give the correct beam pattern in a halogen or HID housing.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Retroshop told me to wait for a HID upgrade for the 2015 still too many bugs!

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

The dumb part is dodge already offers it in other vehicles do why cant the rams get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tat2hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the sub zero led kit in my black quads now there pretty good but I ordered hids from Jeremy and going to change to factory projectors. I'll do some before and after pictures.

14ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had nothing but problems with HIDs in my 2014 in the fogs and low beams. I first bought DDM tuning which were garbage so i spent a little more and went with Kensun Xenon which weren't much better. I finally pulled the trigger and went with LEDs from racesport and they work and look awesome....no flicker, shorts, or warm up time

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK guys with 2015's with issues, I've been testing different setups with jeremy on my 2015 Sport and I think it's close to being a done deal, I've had no issues with the latest setups on head lights or fog lights! No on and off, no flickering, nothing. Just solid.

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK guys with 2015's with issues, I've been testing different setups with jeremy on my 2015 Sport and I think it's close to being a done deal, I've had no issues with the latest setups on head lights or fog lights! No on and off, no flickering, nothing. Just solid.

Awesome to hear man. I can't wait to get hid's in the new Ram. Keep us posted.

Yellowfinii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just performed a retro on my stock projectors from supplies from TRS, went with FXR retro quick kit. 50watt ballast, HD relay and can bus

Right now it is working great, they don't turn off they don't flicker, the auto function works great. Once in a while I Will get a low beam out error, however lights do not turn off.

What I have done for others and for yall working to get a fix for everyone, I put a diode between the capacitor and relay trigger so the capacitor does not feed back into the oem system. Ran the HD relay installed as required ran all grounds back to the battery. I put the can bus into the oem connector with nothing plugged in. On the relay trigger side I used a splitter this is where the capacitor and diode is located.

I hope this helps solve and lead to a truly perfect fix.

Btw new to these futons and Ram, just picked up a 2015 6.7 2500 Ram. Had retrofits on my last truck, F150 , and could not stand the oem light output

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Glad to hear that its going somewhere... I still have MINOR issues with having the regular lights plugged in as the relays.. so hoping I can get this change done properly and even the minor issues disappear soon!!!!

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now the fogs have been pretty solid, but the lows started a flicker or quick on/off thing going after being solid for a couple weeks. I'm still working with Jeremy to figure things out.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
If anybody wants to try out a custom system from us let me know. It will be 100% refundable if it doesn't end up working.