HID jump? What?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's the deal I have this lady with some HIDs in her "new to her" 09 Ram. While fueling up the lady saw my retro'd projector hid headlights asked if i could help her figure out her headlights. I said sure and took a look. She has the single h13 bulb headlight. The kit she has is the dual beam(looks to be an off brand) hid kit. But It has a full harness, caps and resistors. Both low beams works fine with the engine running or off but as soon as she flicks to high beam both bulbs start a constant flickering. She called it jumping. Which it does look like the light is jumping around inside the housing and whatever it reflects off of. What causes it to have a constant flicker on both high beams but work flawless on low beam? She is bringing it up to our shop tomorrow so we can take a look at it and possibly fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
4th gens shouldn't have resistors on the harness. Only a capacitor.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The resistors weren't made onto the harness. Looks like they had added them. So it could have been from the previous owner trying to fix it. Not sure. Ill take try taking them off and see if that works. Keep the ideas coming.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
That's about the only idea I can think if that'll work. As long as its a relay harness connected directly to the battery with a capacitor it should be good.

But, the harness should definitely not have resistors. So I would start by removing those.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I thought too. I may swap a ballast and see if that fixes one side.. Ill look at it closer tomorrow and post my results. Thanks bud

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
No problem. And swap ballasts? Is only one side doing it?

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No both sides are doing it. I was just going to get a good ballast I have laying around and test it.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I was able to look at it. There seems to be interference. With the truck off and high beams on the beam is fine but once you crank it up the high light goes to flickering. It's actually the telescoping part wiggling back and forth and not the actual light causing the flicker. I really didn't know what to do. She said she was just going to buy some cheap halogen bulbs and be done with it.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
They should be Bi-Xenon HID bulbs right? Could be something wrong with the telescoping magnets..

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
4th gens shouldn't have resistors on the harness. Only a capacitor.

The H13 setup would. Its the same as your old 08. ;)

What it sounds like to me is that it flips into high, the computer freaks out because it isn't seeing the correct resistance, and flips it back to low. repeat, etc - so its moving that bulb in and out - as its going to high/low so much.

The harness isn't made for the truck.........typical of what I see on these. :secret:

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The H13 setup would. Its the same as your old 08. ;)

What it sounds like to me is that it flips into high, the computer freaks out because it isn't seeing the correct resistance, and flips it back to low. repeat, etc - so its moving that bulb in and out - as its going to high/low so much.

The harness isn't made for the truck.........typical of what I see on these. :secret:

Well that explains it. Thanks for that info. I'm sure ill run into the same thing again sooner or later.