How many miles does a new vehicle you order typically have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse Lackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Never had a new vehicle, never ordered one. We should get ours this week, do dealers joyride around in customer ordered vehicles?

Can I request to unload it myself?

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Jesus Christ dude relax. No one at the dealership gives a **** about your very average (to them) truck.
Unless you ordered a TRX I wouldn't worry about it.
Even then I wouldn't sweat it.

No you cannot take it off the truck.

What you can do is an inspection before you sign the paperwork.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My CTD had 34 miles on it when I got it and that included a 25 mile transfer from one dealer to another.

No they don't "joyride" in customer's vehicles. They do select demonstrator units but those are not vehicles that were specifically ordered by a customer.

And No, you can't unload it yourself. The transporter insurance carrier won't allow that.

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine had 19 on it!

I don’t think it’s like the “Days of Thunder” rental scene, or “Ferris Beuller’s Day Off” Porsche scene!

Usually just dealer to dealer miles if not an ordered vehicle!

I can certainly understand the angst of waiting for a new truck though!

My worry was it would be sold before I got there with a check!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The dealer I bought my truck from had a customer that was pissed off that the HellCat he ordered had seven miles on it when it showed up on the delivery truck. The sale was pending him contacting FCA with a response why there were "so many miles" on the vehicle.
Salesman told me they had several people who offered to buy it on the spot if the guy didn't want it or if the dealership didn't want to put up with his antics.
Vehicles that go-to the "repair shop" to fix any assembly line anomalies are taken on a test drive on the streets around the assembly plant as part of the post repair inspection.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had several new vehicles and most had around 7 miles or so, I believe they do some miles (probably on rollers) at the factory and then they unload them from the train/truck dealership needs to PMI them, fuel them up etc. My latest a 2020 Power wagon was on the lot and had 20 miles so probably had a few test drives. One ordered in special I would expect to be in the that 7 mile range.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On trucks coming from the Saltillo truck factory in Mexico I think 7 miles is the norm. They do get driven a little while in the shipping process. My Challenger Scat Pack had 6 miles on it and I think my wife's new Grand Cherokee had 3 miles.

OP
OP
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Jesus Christ dude relax. No one at the dealership gives a **** about your very average (to them) truck.
Unless you ordered a TRX I wouldn't worry about it.
Even then I wouldn't sweat it.

No you cannot take it off the truck.

What you can do is an inspection before you sign the paperwork.

I was being a bit sarcastic.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
chances are it wont have 7mi. probly a few more. 11 is my guess. im sure the dealer does a road test to check for any glaring problems. hard to say what happens at the factory or rail yards

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
My new 2020 had 74 miles on it when I purchased it. I out 45 miles on it during the test drive on different road types and speeds.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
General 4 to 10 miles on a direct delivery item.

Mine had 78, but I found mine in another state and had my dealer go fetch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Heh...Mine had 3 miles on it the first time I test drove it. I have put almost every mile on it since then - wife drives it every now and then, and the dealer has to move it around when I take it in for an oil change.

I'm at almost 60k now, and aside from oil changes, tire rotations, and a bad TPMS sensor, it's been trouble-free.

OP
OP
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
It had 25 miles.

The rambox lids don't fit very good, they looked much better on the build site.

Lots of power. I built a 360Magnum for our 98 1500 that's 370chp/436CTW on my engine dyno and the Power Wagon would whip it.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Congrats on the new truck. 25 miles is well within reason. I ordered my 2017 and took delivery with 27 miles on it. My salesman actually explained why it had those miles on the clock without me even asking. He took a date out in it to impress her... KIDDING!!! It was the transfer from the yard.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
My SRT had 176 Miles on it in 2019 when I bought it and its a 2014 !! ROFL

Our Rebel was used with 22K miles on it AND love IT !!

Our old 2007 Mustang GT had 4 miles on it when bought new.

We tend to buy SEMI used to save some money.

$50K car for $34K
$60K truck for $42K
$45K SUV for $26K

Love all three !!

Big Cheddar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 PW
Engine
6.4 Liter Hemi
I ordered mine. When I took Delivery. it had 18 Miles on it. A good Dealer will take them for a Drive. To make sure it's running Properly. Besides. We have no way of knowing how many different Transports, "Rail cars, Trucks " it's been loaded, or unloaded from . How far to it's place in holding lot, or how many holding lots. It's been parked at. Before it makes it to your Dealer's lot.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It had 25 miles.

The rambox lids don't fit very good, they looked much better on the build site.

Lots of power. I built a 360Magnum for our 98 1500 that's 370chp/436CTW on my engine dyno and the Power Wagon would whip it.
First thing I do on a new vehicle is clay them especially if they have been shipped by rail. Congrats