How to: Add Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
68448026AA is the part number I used and it fixed my truck's communication issues so I would think that it's most likely not your issue. I know by talking to you and reading your posts how thorough you are so I would be surprised if it's an issue with your harness but it wouldn't hurt to check. The problem my truck was having was a communication issue but was acting a little different than your's is. I lost control of the directional blend doors to control airflow which was caused by the drivers temp blend door actuator being incorrect even though the drivers temp blend door was operating normally which kind of shows these things can act strange. I wish I had more info but since only three of us have done the Dual Zone Conversion we don't have much info to go on yet. I would say the next step would definitely be to check the harness. Since my truck and STecoD's truck are functioning normally we know the actual upgrade works.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
68448026AA is the part number I used and it fixed my truck's communication issues so I would think that it's most likely not your issue. I know by talking to you and reading your posts how thorough you are so I would be surprised if it's an issue with your harness but it wouldn't hurt to check. The problem my truck was having was a communication issue but was acting a little different than your's is. I lost control of the directional blend doors to control airflow which was caused by the drivers temp blend door actuator being incorrect even though the drivers temp blend door was operating normally which kind of shows these things can act strange. I wish I had more info but since only three of us have done the Dual Zone Conversion we don't have much info to go on yet. I would say the next step would definitely be to check the harness. Since my truck and STecoD's truck are functioning normally we know the actual upgrade works.

Just saw you post. Hopefully having to re enter the Dual Zone code and going over the harness will eliminate the delay you are experiencing.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
This morning I checked and confirmed via alfaobd the dual zone ATC configuration but the radio still showed single zone MTC. As I ran a few errands and several restarts it showed the dual zone MTC configuration. I suppose more time for the setting to take and show correctly. It is then I will test functionality.
The is a different actuator part number for the diesels so one more possible solution left, if it becomes necessary.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This morning I checked and confirmed via alfaobd the dual zone ATC configuration but the radio still showed single zone MTC. As I ran a few errands and several restarts it showed the dual zone MTC configuration. I suppose more time for the setting to take and show correctly. It is then I will test functionality.
The is a different actuator part number for the diesels so one more possible solution left, if it becomes necessary.
Have you tried pushing the volume and back button simultaneously to re boot the radio to see if it picks up the code?

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Have you tried pushing the volume and back button simultaneously to re boot the radio to see if it picks up the code?

Radio reset to dual zone ATC yesterday. I’ll run test later today.

Jeff Krawczyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got my HVAC box. STecoD and I will be doing mine soon. Total price with shipping $147. It's a pretty big job but definitely doable and not very expensive.

I just got my HVAC box. STecoD and I will be doing mine soon. Total price with shipping $147. It's a pretty big job but definitely doable and not very expensive.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Tested HVAC system without change, the passenger side temperature fluctuates randomly even when synced with the driver temperature setting. It will cool evenly but only when on max a/c setting.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tested HVAC system without change, the passenger side temperature fluctuates randomly even when synced with the driver temperature setting. It will cool evenly but only when on max a/c setting.
I honestly am at a loss as to why it's acting that way it is. Unfortunately the passenger side temp blend actuator is mounted on the back side if the HVAC box so it would be very hard to replace the actuator. I do know that my truck acted extremely strange with the incorrect blend door motor. Have you gone into the HVAC module with the alpha tool to check for codes?

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I honestly am at a loss as to why it's acting that way it is. Unfortunately the passenger side temp blend actuator is mounted on the back side if the HVAC box so it would be very hard to replace the actuator. I do know that my truck acted extremely strange with the incorrect blend door motor. Have you gone into the HVAC module with the alpha tool to check for codes?

I have already replaced the passenger and driver blend actuators with pn 68448026AA. Following the dash and box removal steps I removed the bolts securing the a/c lines to the fender so system evacuation wasn't necessary. This allowed enough movement of the box to gain access and R/R of the passenger actuator. Original actuators were pn 68089742AA.

I haven't tried to connect to the HVAC but will so tomorrow.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Here are snapshots of HVAC module test results.
IMG_3591.JPG IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3593.JPG
Maybe a bad module? Wiring harness tested good.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
One thing they both have in common is right blend door binding. If this is the case, B11C8 will set off B11C9. I can post photos of the troubleshooting if you need it.
That would be awesome! When I replaced the actuator I made sure the blend door wasn't binding throughout it's travel.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Thanks! Looks like I'll be busy tomorrow..

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info Jimmy07 I'm going to copy that info for myself. You never know when you may have an issue. I will say after helping STecoD with his and installing my own the blend doors on the HVAC box don't seem like they would bind up to easily but I guess anything is possible. At least you were able to retrieve some codes to help point you in the right direction with Jimmy07's trouble shooting guide. Hopefully you will find something when you pull it apart.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Didn’t start troubleshooting until this afternoon. Cleared the codes and calibrated the actuators. Got the same fault codes again. Decided to replace the wire from the HVAC module to the grey inline plug. Just in case the pulse rate is being influenced by the type wire, used aircraft grade wire. It’ll be a busy weekend so efforts will resume next week.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
After family visits and other necessary events I was finally able to resume troubleshooting the HVAC issue last Saturday. To confirm that the actuator wasn’t binding I decided to remove the panel. l followed the same steps as before to disconnect and remove the actuator and confirmed the passenger temp door wasn’t binding.

Remen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Sunday I rewired the actuator plug to the grey plug and checked continuity with positive results. Reinstalled the passenger temp actuator and used the troubleshooting guides provided by jimmy07 to pinpoint location of the HVAC issue. All the wiring checked normal but error codes B11C8 and B11C9 returned after resetting. The end result to both code errors pointed to a bad HVAC module. Finally, something concrete. Thanks again jimmy07!