Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to: Add Dual Zone ATC to a Tradesman

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by STecoD, May 3, 2019.

1. Remen

Remen Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L Diesel
    Monday ordered the HVAC module and it arrived today. It took all of 15 minutes to R/R the module and test the system.
    These are the results:
    46E06364-DB11-412B-A5D5-E4009B945264.jpeg
    31FD5CCD-9F07-418A-A1D7-6400C16CB070.jpeg
    Dual mode working normally. Ran control functions and temperature settings and now system cools and heats as expected. Success!

The original HVAC module was part of the 8.4 UAQ upgrade kit and dual zone option. The first modification to the system was configured as a single zone ATC system all worked well. When I changed the hardware and settings to a dual zone system my adventure began. Electrical components can fail without any indication as evidenced by the “new” module failure.

2. Remen

Remen Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L Diesel
    The process involving the modification works and relatively inexpensive. My case was unusual and work intensive due to the HVAC module failure. Thanks again to STecoD, Ricks Ram, and jimmy07 for their support in this venture.

STecoD, Ricks Ram and Mpgrimm2 like this.
  3. Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Glad hear you got it figured out. That was definitely a tricky one! My blend door motor being incorrect when I did mine was also a little tricky but it works great now. I use the Dual Zone a lot. I really like this mod. It really isn't as hard to do as some might think and is relatively inexpensive to do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

STecoD likes this.
  4. Mega_Newblar

Mega_Newblar Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L v8 Hemi
    Any reason I couldn't do this mod on my 2015 Ram 1500 Quad Cab? I already have the single zone ATC mod installed and working. Would the wiring be the same?

5. Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You can definitely do it to your 15 Quad Cab. I installed the Dual Zone on my 14 Quad Cab and it works great. The wiring for the HVAC is the same on the Quad Cab and the Crew Cab trucks. To order the correct HVAC box find a 13 to 18 Laramie Quad Cab on Ebay that's for sale and get the Vin#. All Laramie trucks are Dual Zone. Make sure it has the same Cab configuration and engine as what you you have. If you have a gas engine make sure the truck you get the Vin# from does as well. If you have a jump seat and no console make sure the truck you get the Vin# off of is the same. If you have a center console make sure you get the Vin# off of a truck that also is a Quad Cab with the center console. Contact Benny @AllMoparParts.com in the vendor section and give him two vin#s off two Laramie trucks with the same configuration as your truck and he will verify your part# and you can order it through them. My truck is a Quad Cab 5.7 Hemi with the Jump Seat the correct part# for the Dual Zone HVAC box for my truck was 68048891AD. You will also need to buy one extra blend door motor. The blend door motor part# my 14 took was 68448926AA.

Mpgrimm2 likes this.
  6. Mega_Newblar

Mega_Newblar Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L v8 Hemi
    Thanks for the confirmation.. Doing my research now, making a list and checking it twice. Only part that seems intimidating is the wiring but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I'll be sure to take some pics when I'm ready to take the plunge.

Mpgrimm2 likes this.
  7. Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2 Senior Member Preferred Vendor Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Laramie QC (5th Gen)
    Engine:
    5.7L eTorque
    48PowerWagon, Ricks Ram and STecoD like this.
  8. Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2 Senior Member Preferred Vendor Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2019 Laramie QC (5th Gen)
    Engine:
    5.7L eTorque
  9. Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Looks nice Mike. Hopefully a few more guys will give it a try. It's really not that hard to do, especially now that you offer a harness.

Cesar592 and Mpgrimm2 like this.
  10. RAMMIN_TIME

RAMMIN_TIME Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Curious on the Alfa calibration, do you need a special cable or will OBD MX+ work? I notice in Alfa OBD it said something about MS – CAN blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk