How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cocogil77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recheck all connections etc. that you added terminals etc to. Make sure they are fully seated and locked in place.

If the canIHS plugs on your seat harness are White, make sure they are installed in the correct canIHS blocks (vs Can C).
Hi, my 2014 Laramie ram 1500 has factory heated and vented seats and heated steering wheel. They stoped working to the preview owner, I bought a new hsm but still not working. With the service manual start checking for the problema, it gets 12v and ground so next step was cheking two can cables brim the hsm to the ihs connector, the problem is that I’m the module I have 1 wt cable and the other wt/db but in the ihs connector i don’t have the wt/db. I’m stuck here, any recommendation? I’m sure that the problem is in the can cables because the soft keys in the dash for the seats don’t even light up. Thanks in advance

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On the steering wheel, all the "complete" ones on eBay seem to be worn (by complete, I mean the heated ones with all the plastic bits and controls).

If I purchase a new steering wheel with heat, and purchase the proper wire harness, and clock spring, I should be able to move my plastics and controls over, right?

I believe steering wheel 5NH65DX9AA (heated black leather for 2018 2500 Laramie), harness 68163716AC (has heat) and clock spring 68528301AA should be what I need.
I can then take my plastics bits, electronics (audio controls), and move them over to the new heated wheel.
- I already added the audio controls to the back of my tradesman wheel, and those parts seem to be the same

Can anyone confirm?

vairsUPnorth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello Folks,
This is a pretty daunting thread and I apologize for not reading through all of it. I have a 2018 Tradesman 3500 Crew with the 6.7 CTD and G56 and the not so comfortable standard cloth seats. Back in May we purchased a 2019 Compass with 8-way powered leather heated seats that are the most comfortable of any vehicle I have owned so far. I therefore would like to upgrade my RAM seats to the similar power adjusted leather, probably the Laramie heated/cooled option as these seem fairly easy to find (and my wife would like the heated part). I need to know if there are other parts needed besides wiring modifications to adapt them to my truck. In particular:

1) The truck came with only the base RA1 radio. I installed a Pioneer head unit to gain Bluetooth. Do I need to ditch the Pioneer and upgrade to a higher grade radio to control the seats (this is how our Compass seats are controlled)? I am not concerned with memory functions or a heated steering wheel if this makes any difference. Would I need a factory microphone or steering wheel switches to upgrade to a RA2 or RA3?
2) Instead of #1 can I replace the switch panel with one that has the seat functions in order to accomplish this?
3) Is there anything else I am overlooking?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hello Folks,
This is a pretty daunting thread and I apologize for not reading through all of it. I have a 2018 Tradesman 3500 Crew with the 6.7 CTD and G56 and the not so comfortable standard cloth seats. Back in May we purchased a 2019 Compass with 8-way powered leather heated seats that are the most comfortable of any vehicle I have owned so far. I therefore would like to upgrade my RAM seats to the similar power adjusted leather, probably the Laramie heated/cooled option as these seem fairly easy to find (and my wife would like the heated part). I need to know if there are other parts needed besides wiring modifications to adapt them to my truck. In particular:

1) The truck came with only the base RA1 radio. I installed a Pioneer head unit to gain Bluetooth. Do I need to ditch the Pioneer and upgrade to a higher grade radio to control the seats (this is how our Compass seats are controlled)? I am not concerned with memory functions or a heated steering wheel if this makes any difference. Would I need a factory microphone or steering wheel switches to upgrade to a RA2 or RA3?
2) Instead of #1 can I replace the switch panel with one that has the seat functions in order to accomplish this?

It's a complicated question based on several particulars for each truck.

But you will most likely need an 8.4 HVAC conversion/control system with either the factory 8.4 radio (13-17 Harmon or 18/classic Panasonic) or idatalink Maestro/PAC Radio Pro for an aftermarket setup.

You will need the switch panel either way but it often doesn't give full control without the 8.4 system.

You will also need 2013-18 4th gen seats (or 19-21 classic seats... Not 5th gen seats). 16-18/classic seats ideally for your 18 truck.

Also see a few posts around here

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello Folks,

Hey there!

If you're in need of additional assistance, please send us a DM. We'd be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Luisp22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m trying to do the same . I have a 15 express single cab. Want to add heated/ventilated seats . But also I want the memory seats/mirrors . Does mine will have the required harness? Also up to what year I can get the seats ?

Attachments

• B6F80470-5A7D-43EA-BB55-DDAB4A4A9E9F.jpeg
    B6F80470-5A7D-43EA-BB55-DDAB4A4A9E9F.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 5166611A-8012-493C-9F6F-4943760C4D1E.jpeg
    5166611A-8012-493C-9F6F-4943760C4D1E.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 9CAF5D58-D6A9-4CA5-AB73-D933658DE2FB.jpeg
    9CAF5D58-D6A9-4CA5-AB73-D933658DE2FB.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 7C268C99-AD64-4564-818D-D0D538C95850.jpeg
    7C268C99-AD64-4564-818D-D0D538C95850.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 25
  • E7D90EAD-6867-4983-9F9A-D7F1464DA69C.jpeg
    E7D90EAD-6867-4983-9F9A-D7F1464DA69C.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 27
  • F9EA8497-8F7B-45A6-985F-37C6EFF3F268.jpeg
    F9EA8497-8F7B-45A6-985F-37C6EFF3F268.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 6D9EF7A9-E7B6-4C54-9CEB-04E3E3BED204.jpeg
    6D9EF7A9-E7B6-4C54-9CEB-04E3E3BED204.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 27

Luisp22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m trying to do the same . I have a 15 express single cab. Want to add heated/ventilated seats . But also I want the memory seats . Does mine will have the required harness? Also up to what year I can get the seats ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I’m trying to do the same . I have a 15 express single cab. Want to add heated/ventilated seats . But also I want the memory seats . Does mine will have the required harness? Also up to what year I can get the seats ?
Great pictures!
You must already have power adjust driver seat and inverter outlet?

* You have all the wiring for heated and vented seats/wheel (minus the clockspring?).

* You don't have the wiring for memory function to work (at the yellow driver seat connector) but it can be added without much hassle.

* You can use 2013-18/19-21 classic 4th gen seats.( 09-12 & 5th gen seats aren't compatible).

> If you don't already have the 8.4 radio, expect to add it via 8.4 HVAC conversion to get full functionality.

Luisp22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great pictures!

* You have all the wiring for heated and vented seats/wheel (minus the clockspring?).

* You don't have the wiring for memory function to work (at the yellow driver seat connector) but it can be added without much hassle.

* You can use 2013-18/19-21 classic 4th gen seats.( 09-12 & 5th gen seats aren't compatible).

> If you don't already have the 8.4 radio, expect to add it via 8.4 HVAC conversion to get full functionality.
Thank you. I did my best to take decent pics. That sounds freaking awesome.

*yes I need the new clock spring. I do have my outlet.

*once I get the seats then I will contact you to get the extra wiring for the memory seats/mirrors. I have sent you a message regardless the HVAC conversation before but I didn’t reply back on a final answer plus im a truck driver and im not home often and I just be getting parts and try to get everything. My apologies on that.

*I got the mirrors as well 68231243AF-42AF

*I will get the Oem harness from a Laramie and the black leather dash pad that im still looking for. Regardless to the harness. Does the year changes or will I have to be stuck between 14-18?

Im doing a Limited interior on my single cab. Im on the search for limited seats . I have the rest of the interior pieces . From cluster/ steering wheel /Center console with the CD player/ bezel/ door panels with the led light on it with Oem wiring/ leather Handles/ air vents / door sill guards / upper glove box/ limited rims.

Also if anyone knows the part number to get the chrome door Knob would be great!

Thank you a lot to for checking out and telling all this info .

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Great pictures!

Hey Mike.....for the Memory Seats I had to add the Memory Mirrors (besides adding the wiring harness you made for me). I know it has been awhile, but IIRC, you need the specific memory mirrors for the memory seats to work? What is a bummer is that my truck already had power adjustable, power folding, and with the lights under the mirrors but no memory in them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey Mike.....for the Memory Seats I had to add the Memory Mirrors (besides adding the wiring harness you made for me). I know it has been awhile, but IIRC, you need the specific memory mirrors for the memory seats to work? What is a bummer is that my truck already had power adjustable, power folding, and with the lights under the mirrors but no memory in them.

I was fairly certain but was looking for confirmation that you don't need memory mirrors to get memory seats to work as long as you get the 13-18/classic Laramie/limited memory seats....

Found Ricks post....
Yes I just looked and it's not there on the 17 either. I'm honestly not sure why it's not present. I had a hard time getting mine to work also and then it just worked. Do you have the 7" speedometer? I know the instructions in my manual to link to the the key fob were incorrect.
You don't need the memory mirrors in order for the memory seats to work.

Oldfarmer just enabled the memory seats in his 17 and they work fine. I sent him the 3 codes to enable it and he never mentioned one not being present when I talked to him. I will give him a call and see what I can find out. Sorry...I have to ask are you 100% sure you pinned the wires correctly? It's extremely easy to get one in the wrong slot,especially the one in the door harness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I was fairly certain but was looking for confirmation that you don't need memory mirrors to get memory seats to work as long as you get the 13-18/classic Laramie/limited memory seats....

Found Ricks post....
Thanks for the info. And now after reading your post it refreshed my memory (pun intended) of what happened for me. I first installed the Laramie seats in my SLT but did not have memory yet because I was missing the CANBUS wiring which was the harnesss you made for me. I added the wiring at the same time as adding the memory mirrors. I never attempted to just do memory seats alone but did the seats and mirror memory together. Ironically, its this older guy who's memory needed the re-wiring. Thanks for that!......lol

Luisp22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great pictures!

I forgot to ask. Until what year I can get the VP4 radio? Does it have to be on a 15 or I can go high as of 17.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I forgot to ask. Until what year I can get the VP4 radio? Does it have to be on a 15 or I can go high as of 17.
13-17 will work. Message me if you want a full 8.4 kit

Luisp22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
13-17 will work. Message me if you want a full 8.4 kit
That works! I keep seeing issues with the UAS radios on the posts and I don’t want to have the grey ish icons for the heated/ventilated seats or the rest of the features.

Dkloven34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know what pins are used in the yellow connector to power and ground the driver and passenger seat ? So I don’t have to splice into the wiring just make it like factory and add in the pins to the connectors.

rblock916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have read through the first 130 odd pages of this thread and have most of the information I need to get most of the features on my '16 Laramie seats to work in my '17 Express, kudos to the pioneers that worked all of this out years ago. What I am looking for is a schematic to include required wiring for memory and the heated rear seats. The schematic Deereguy made back in 17' only includes power/heat/vent for front seats, no memory or rear seats (P/Ns for related pins/connectors would be super helpful too). I can handle running wires and making connections, but I would prefer to run everything at once and just be done with it. Any help that you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Biggie705

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You 100% don't have the wiring for heated/vented seats or power seats. You can purchase a conversion harness at M2mods in the vendor section of the forum. It is plug and play and installs exactly the same as the factory harness. You would also need to purchase the Alfa tool to enable the codes for the heated/vented seats and heated wheel to work. The dealer cannot enable these codes. You can make the power adjust work by running a fused wire from the positive battery post to the solid red wire in both yellow seat connectors if that's all you want to work.
Hello Rick,

Great Thread! Lots of Info. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, Regular Cab, Express, 5.7, w/o heated seats. I ordered the truck and had the dealer install leather katzkin seat covers on the factory seats. I have the yellow plug with the pink wires under the drivers seat. I have purchased a heated steering wheel, steering wheel harness for audio controls (and the audio buttons and trim themselves), the center console push buttons, the heater control module, and passenger and driver seat cushion and back seat heating elements. The seats however do not have the correct wiring harness on them since heated seats was not an option. I believe that I just need the passenger and driver seat cushion wire harnesses and seat back wire harnesses to finish my mod. So basically 4 wiring harnesses. I'm having trouble trying to locate these part numbers and items on all the mopar parts websites. I was hoping you could provide me with solution options since I've gotten this far and would like to use the seats that I have in the vehicle now instead of trying to source a donor pair. Thanks!

carbonfiber1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5,7 Gas
Hello, a short question,

at connector i401 I have at pin 13 a ground. According to the hook up chart this should be post mod hosting the CAN IHS pin.
What shall I do with the ground? Remove?
Thanks for the advise.
IMG_3897.jpeg