How to disable deployable running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marusho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
The only issue I ever had with my running boards was that when I was washing the truck or cleaning the windshield I wanted the boards deployed with the doors closed. Once somebody explained that I only had to step on the board when it attempted to close to defeat this retraction, I was a happy camper.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The only issue I ever had with my running boards was that when I was washing the truck or cleaning the windshield I wanted the boards deployed with the doors closed. Once somebody explained that I only had to step on the board when it attempted to close to defeat this retraction, I was a happy camper.
In the controls setting you can also click deploy before you open the doors and they will stay deployed until you put the truck in gear and move again. You can open and close the doors as often as you want. I do this in the parking lot to cut down on door dings and when washing the truck.

tm757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t have deployable running boards. I couldn’t justify the added expense to install them so I put fixed boards on. The one benefit of the fixed running boards is when I scraped a low concrete pole around a sharp curve on vacation. I didn’t realize it was there until I heard the awful sound and knew my truck was jacked up. I got out and the running board took all the damage. My paint didn’t even get scratched. It definitely would have without that protection. So now I am a fan of the fixed running boards. I doubt the deployable running boards would have provided that much protection because they are tucked in. I believe the fixed boards also provide extra protection from rocks.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One item to be aware of for those in climates that include salted winter roads and such. When the floor boards go into failure mode it is wise to go after a fix rather than just leave them alone. It may depend on the system in use, but.... If the boards fail in the 'Up" position when parked...the truck may continue to put power to the operator to attempt to force them down. It may not give up in it's attempt to deploy the boards. Power may always be there until you drive again. Worse case is you find your battery dead come morning as the "auto" logic tried tirelessly to deploy the boards.

TC Retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
I think it is in the "Apps". When I test drove the salesman showed me but was distracted by all the Bling and forgot. I was just pulling the 30 amp fuse (F-21 on my Truck) to disable but then stumbled across the setting.

It is a major pain in the A$$ when you wash the Truck. Those power steps collect a lot of winter crap and you can't get it washed off unless they are deployed

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I think it is in the "Apps". When I test drove the salesman showed me but was distracted by all the Bling and forgot. I was just pulling the 30 amp fuse (F-21 on my Truck) to disable but then stumbled across the setting.

It is a major pain in the A$$ when you wash the Truck. Those power steps collect a lot of winter crap and you can't get it washed off unless they are deployed
Owner's Manuals are Awesome

POWER SIDE STEPS — IF EQUIPPED
The Power Side Steps will extend a step for
easier entry and exit of the vehicle.
When configured for “Auto” mode, the Power
Side Steps will deploy when any of the doors are
opened, or when the deploy setting is activated
through the touchscreen. When configured for
“Store” mode, the steps will not deploy unless
the setting is selected manually through the
Controls menu within the touchscreen.
If the vehicle speed exceeds 5 mph (8 km/h), or
if the retract setting is selected within Uconnect
Settings Ú page 258, the steps will retract

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have driven trucks for years and always had static/fixed boards. When I bought my 2500 I considered fixed ones again because of the cost. I showed my wife some automatic/deployable boards and she told me to get those.

I evaluated the benefits of each and found the deployable boards drop down lower, are further away from the truck so you can get more of your boot on it, and tuck up nicely so you get more ground clearance. In comparison the fixed boards are tucked up almost to the bottom of the rocker panel and I could never get the toe of my boot under the rocker. This means you get a lot less of your boot on the step and when it’s wet that might matter. For my wife, who is shorter, she had to lift her foot much higher with the fixed steps.

I went with the deployable steps and I’ll never go back to the fixed steps.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have driven trucks for years and always had static/fixed boards. When I bought my 2500 I considered fixed ones again because of the cost. I showed my wife some automatic/deployable boards and she told me to get those.

I evaluated the benefits of each and found the deployable boards drop down lower, are further away from the truck so you can get more of your boot on it, and tuck up nicely so you get more ground clearance. In comparison the fixed boards are tucked up almost to the bottom of the rocker panel and I could never get the toe of my boot under the rocker. This means you get a lot less of your boot on the step and when it’s wet that might matter. For my wife, who is shorter, she had to lift her foot much higher with the fixed steps.

I went with the deployable steps and I’ll never go back to the fixed steps.
This seems to be the consensus of almost everyone who has power steps. Much like the rambox and MFT, most of the people who complain about them are those who have never had them.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red

simple fix open the door but dont completly close (cracked ) after they will stay deployed when done push the door closed

Last edited:

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
simple fix open the door but dont completly close after they will stay deployed when done push the door closed
If the steps are the AMP brand, or probably even the Ram brand, you can open the door to deploy the step and stand on it when you close the door and it will stay in the down position for washing etc. That's how I wash mine.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
If the steps are the AMP brand, or probably even the Ram brand, you can open the door to deploy the step and stand on it when you close the door and it will stay in the down position for washing etc. That's how I wash mine.
it would work but im not going to do it just my luck it would fail in the open position my way the computer is keeping them deployed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My wife and I love our retractable running boards. She's 5'2" and I'm 6 ft. When we bought our truck it had no running boards and was really hard to get in and out.

Stacylynn2204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My truck unfortunately came with the OEM Mopar running boards. I hate them.. Saving up to add the retractable ones I love the sleek looks of them. I am adding the 3.5 Readylift next week so I will be keeping old standard running boards for now. I would rather have my lift first.. HAHAHA Priorities right :33:

OP
OP
jejb

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
See the first post of this thread.

I didn't post this to start an argument. I'm glad most of y'all are happy with the auto boards. And I may be too. Just want to know what my options are to keep them deployed in case I don't like them.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I absolutely love my 2500 Limited with deployable running boards. I had them on my 1500 as well, they were aftermarket, I loved them too. The truck lines look so much cleaner when they are up. They work smoothly and I have no complaints. As far as I know you can not leave them locked in the down position. You might need to deploy them and then cut the power to them and I imagine they would stay down. You might get a CEL or something.