How To: Fogs on with the High Beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just got done with this mod on my truck and it worked, but not for the passenger side. When I switch to low beam, the driver's side fog stays on, but the passenger side kicks off. What did I do wrong in my install?

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Just t-tap the passenger side like the drivers side.
I've heard of a few people having to tap into both sides to get both sides to work.

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just t-tap the passenger side like the drivers side.
I've heard of a few people having to tap into both sides to get both sides to work.

I just ran a short wire from the passenger's side fog + wire to the blue wire coming from my relay. All good now!!

surfnturf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
This will work on 2012s? No way to turn fogs off in HiBeam without adding switch? (why do I care). Anyone figure out anything new? I sure like that 2nd gen mod I saw in my search but it does not apply to 2012s.

RamRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Black Ram express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this mod yesterday and i can say its definately an improvement. Although the directions were kind of a pain in the ass. I was all over the front of the truck tryin to find the blue power wire for the fogs... then i realized it didnt exist on the 12's, you just have to run a jumper from the power wire off the relay to BOTH power wires for the fog lights and it works fine. I found that you can do everything you need right in the headlight opening, I mounted the relay to the Fender/bumper bolt and used a star washer to ground it to the same bolt then i tapped into all the wires right there using quality crimps and heat shrink to prevent corrosion... I would set aside a good hour to do this if its your first time and you dont wanna half ass anything thats for sure.

surfnturf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
RamRod, Did you use a kit or just buy the parts? Which instructions are you using?

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i need to do this before i put my hids in. what relay are you using ?

ATOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
gonna have to run to Oriellys and see if they got one. going to ram headlights from silverado headlights is brutal

RamRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Black Ram express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i ordered the kit from mrtaillight.com, the link on the first page of this thread, the instructions that came with the kit were a little confusing. I believe that they are for a 3rd gen because the 4th gens have seperate power wires for each fog lamp, atleast in the specific area specified in the directions.

OP
OP
Musclemckeester

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
i ordered the kit from mrtaillight.com, the link on the first page of this thread, the instructions that came with the kit were a little confusing. I believe that they are for a 3rd gen because the 4th gens have seperate power wires for each fog lamp, atleast in the specific area specified in the directions.

Correct, they are for up to 2011. 2012s you have to run to the positive on both fogs.

irally

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried this with a Canadian version truck with the DRL?

The DRL are the high beam with a lower voltage. Will this cause the relay to chatter applying a second source of voltage to the fog lights, when not wanted? The fogs and DRL can/are both be on when the light switch is in the park position.

Dave

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So for a 2012 you just run a wire from the positive on the passenger fog to the relay wire connecting the drivers side fog to the high beams? Nothing else on the passenger side?

mrtosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What size inline fuse are you using as well? Thanks in advance!

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Perhaps some one can verify this for me but I believe that running your fogs/lows continuously while your Highs are on puts to much power through the module causing it to over heat and melt, or even start a fire. I know on some of the older vehicles it was this way. It actually happened on my old GMC, I'm not quite sure if that was the reason but that's what the shop was saying. Has anyone had any trouble sense applying this mod?

Also, keep in mind that yes you have more visible light but if you live in remote areas or do long distant night driving you would definitely want a switch on them to have it optional. As a fact the Fog lights shine just in front of your rig so it actually impairs your night vision, especially if you have HIDs. Making the more light actually less effective for distance. Now, putting that aside, I can't wait to do this mod.

Cascade

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the mrtaillight kit on my truck which is a 2010 canadian ram, went off without a hitch. With the DRL I was worried that it would trigger the relay, but the fogs stayed off. With high beams on, both fogs lit up and I only had to tap into the drivers side fog yellow wire (no blue wire like instructions said)