How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crookedmosquito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe this is just my truck, and not going through enough key cycles/waiting long enough, but I just tried installing the new 68331631AM deck into my 2015 2500 Laramie. The biggest issue was that there was no audio from any source that was working unless I tapped the screen; so I could get a snippet of the radio (FM) station to play when I touched the preset, but it would go silent within a couple seconds. I didn't leave it connected long enough/perform enough key cycles to get to the point where the SXM button appeared. Also, the USB hub I got didn't seem to do anything. The hub is supposedly a new Compass hub, PN: 5XG28DX9AC, though it appears used- it seems to be OEM. The USB hub didn't illuminate (I have the KAOdtech harness), and connecting my phone didn't enable Android Auto that I could tell.

My truck has the Alpine premium audio system and was running an RA4 radio (that's back in for the moment) and has the dual zone ATC stock. Could the Alpine setup require some more "learning" for the UAQ to work properly?

One other problem I am having is that the USB port that was stock with the truck doesn't read USB devices: I can't read any files off a flash drive, nor will it start the 18.45.01 update (the RA4 is at 18.43.01) - though the SD card reads and music can be played from the SD card. When the stock 2015 hub was plugged into the UAQ, I got a "Hubs not supported" error. And weirder: my manual says that fuse F65 is the USB Interface...but the PDC box states that F65 is "Spare", and the fuse sitting there just drops into place with no resistance. I have to believe that the USB port on the original 2015 hub must be bad, and the Compass hub I have didn't appear to function with the RA4. I don't know where any other connector for the USB would be: the connection at the front of the console is tight, and both the hub and radio plugs were seated fully.

I'm waiting to hear from a salvage yard about a 2017 Chrysler 200 hub because of the current national backorder on that part, but I'm at a loss on the USB issue. One other oddity: I can't pull a build sheet for my truck on the Chrysler website. I have the original sticker, but I get a message to contact customer service when I try the "equipment listing".
Did you get yours working? I just put in a radio and have no sound as well.

2014 ram 1500 sport with premium audio

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you get yours working? I just put in a radio and have no sound as well.

2014 ram 1500 sport with premium audio

I DID. I gave it a week between efforts, then disconnected the battery and reinstalled the unit along with the Chrysler 200-sourced USB media hub.

Once I reconnected the battery (I had it disconnected for at least an hour while I worked at a nice slow pace), the radio was working: I had audio. I then pulled the extra fuse (by the brake booster) while I fit the USB hub into the console, and reinstalled that once the hub was in place...though that wasn't the problem that prevented my USB from working. The fuses for the USB in my truck were my issue there: my truck's supposed "USB" fuse (F65) is a blank- for my USB hub to work correctly, I had to make sure F67's (Bluetooth/Hands Free Module) fuse was inserted properly. It also didn't take long for the SXM button to appear this time around...I had the button before I got done setting up my WirelessAA module.

I can't speak to fuses for your model: my truck is a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited, so I'm sure there are differences. But either pulling the extra radio fuse or the negative cable would likely help.

crookedmosquito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I DID. I gave it a week between efforts, then disconnected the battery and reinstalled the unit along with the Chrysler 200-sourced USB media hub.

Once I reconnected the battery (I had it disconnected for at least an hour while I worked at a nice slow pace), the radio was working: I had audio. I then pulled the extra fuse (by the brake booster) while I fit the USB hub into the console, and reinstalled that once the hub was in place...though that wasn't the problem that prevented my USB from working. The fuses for the USB in my truck were my issue there: my truck's supposed "USB" fuse (F65) is a blank- for my USB hub to work correctly, I had to make sure F67's (Bluetooth/Hands Free Module) fuse was inserted properly. It also didn't take long for the SXM button to appear this time around...I had the button before I got done setting up my WirelessAA module.

I can't speak to fuses for your model: my truck is a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Limited, so I'm sure there are differences. But either pulling the extra radio fuse or the negative cable would likely help.
I ended up getting my audio working by disconnecting the negative battery cable. My issues are below right now:

1. Only driver side heated/vented seat are showing up on radio. (I did end up buying the infotainment harness)
2. Rear backup camera isn’t showing up
3. Unable to pull up dealer mode/menu
- tried driver side heat and cool along with defrost buttons at same time but nada

I haven’t been able to troubleshoot anything else at the moment. Still waiting on the usb hub too. I’m going to give it sometime this week for things to start coming in.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I'll give that a try and report back. Doesn't concern me too much as now I use the left side when I want to charge and keep my Motorola MA1 plugged into the left. Just wish the truck was smart enough to turn off the power to usb when the truck is shut off.
I thought you had gotten this to work already before.. all 4 of my ports work with AA. Aux works and auto switches on the radio when plugged in. I haven't tested ACP as I do not have apple devices.

crookedmosquito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything showed up when i got in the truck this morning. Only thing I can't do is get into Dealer Mode, any ideas on why that isn't feasible?

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Based on what I have read, you hold the drivers side temp up/down plus defrost buttons all at the same time for like 10 seconds.
hmm.. that is what worked for me. I just tested again this morning and it worked
To Enter Dealer Mode
To find this, have the truck on or acc on, hold driver side temp up, driver side temp down, and front defrost buttons at the same time for 5-7 seconds and you’ll see the menu go to “dealer mode”

I still wonder if your radio is not fully sync'd/set up.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I thought you had gotten this to work already before.. all 4 of my ports work with AA. Aux works and auto switches on the radio when plugged in. I haven't tested ACP as I do not have apple devices.

Never really tried as I only have one phone to plug in at any given time.

NateNateNate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I’ve been reading a lot on this thread. I just have a question. The attached picture is my current hub which I know I need to swap out in order to use Apple CarPlay when a I upgrade to an 8.4. Has anybody ordered and used the hub from nismopar? Will it work in my 2020 Classic? 98B41BBF-2947-4CD9-9597-C1E3B3A86E5A.jpeg72C4F207-3EC2-4AA8-A049-5FF0D2E868A1.png

kingofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel Crewcab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lots of really good info here and looks like i am ready to pull a trigger on upgrade from VP4 to 4C-Nav !!
For some time i have been trying to ****** a 68331631AH (UAQ) radio mentioned on page 1.. so far no luck..
While i do so, can someone confirm that the are not any updated P/N's on 68331631AH (UAQ)?

Maybe there is another PN that can do the job? ( trying to get apple/carplay )

I have a 2016 Rebel ( dual zone hvac, nav, H&K Speakers, heated seats and steering wheel)
my current radio PN is 68258675AH

Cant wait to put an order through once i get all the ducks in the row!!!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Lots of really good info here and looks like i am ready to pull a trigger on upgrade from VP4 to 4C-Nav !!
For some time i have been trying to ****** a 68331631AH (UAQ) radio mentioned on page 1.. so far no luck..
While i do so, can someone confirm that the are not any updated P/N's on 68331631AH (UAQ)?

Maybe there is another PN that can do the job? ( trying to get apple/carplay )

I have a 2016 Rebel ( dual zone hvac, nav, H&K Speakers, heated seats and steering wheel)
my current radio PN is 68258675AH

Cant wait to put an order through once i get all the ducks in the row!!!
Last 2 letters don't generally matter on Mopar PNs. Think of them as production runs. But with the Panasonic UAx radios, stay away from the 'AA' units as they can be early engineering samples that won't run production software.

2018/19 -21 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)

68331631Ax (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68331635Ax (UAS 4c non-nav)

2020 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)
68461699AB (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68461703AB (UAS 4c non-nav)

---------------------

2018/19 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (Canadian)
68331632Ax (UCQ 4c Nav)

2019/2020 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (Canadian)
68340153Ax (UCS 4c non-nav)

---------------------

You will also need a hub adapter harness and compatible USB hub for your particular truck's setup.

kingofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel Crewcab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Last 2 letters don't generally matter on Mopar PNs. Think of them as production runs. But with the Panasonic UAx radios, stay away from the 'AA' units as they can be early engineering samples that won't run production software.

2018/19 -21 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)

68331631Ax (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68331635Ax (UAS 4c non-nav)

2020 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (USA)
68461699AB (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68461703AB (UAS 4c non-nav)

---------------------

2018/19 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (Canadian)
68331632Ax (UCQ 4c Nav)

2019/2020 classic 4th Gen Ram Radio: (Canadian)
68340153Ax (UCS 4c non-nav)

---------------------

You will also need a hub adapter harness and compatible USB hub for your particular truck's setup.
Thank you @Mpgrimm2 for such a quick reply! I was just sorting through all of your replies xD

One detail i failed to mention, I am in Canada. Should i steer clear from the USA models and go after canadain only ?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thank you @Mpgrimm2 for such a quick reply! I was just sorting through all of your replies xD

One detail i failed to mention, I am in Canada. Should i steer clear from the USA models and go after canadain only ?
They will both work for you... May be harder getting Canadian radio fw though. Need a vin of similar year/equipped truck as radio you use for updates unless they are already shared by the community here.

NYMustang50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey guys,
I got a question for those that are doing the swap now. I have a 2017 Laramie 2500 with the Cummins motor. Its already got the 8.4 with NAV. I ordered the 68461699AC so I can gain Android Auto due to the whole 3G Sunset, etc.

What is everyone doing for the USB Media Hub now a days? I tried to order the 68283703AA due to reading many pages here and it looked to be the easiest to fit as a replacement to my current. But I'm being told by numerous sources that its on National Backorder for the foreseeable future.

I already got my Hub conversion harness from Mpgrimm2.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys,
I got a question for those that are doing the swap now. I have a 2017 Laramie 2500 with the Cummins motor. Its already got the 8.4 with NAV. I ordered the 68461699AC so I can gain Android Auto due to the whole 3G Sunset, etc.

What is everyone doing for the USB Media Hub now a days? I tried to order the 68283703AA due to reading many pages here and it looked to be the easiest to fit as a replacement to my current. But I'm being told by numerous sources that its on National Backorder for the foreseeable future.

I went onto Car-Part.com, and did some searches for Chrysler 200 consoles; specifically, I looked for posts where the vehicle had the 8.4" screen and possibly a VIN so I could run the VIN for the equipment that the car had, then I reached out to the yards to see if they'd pop the media hub out. Took me a few tries, but I managed to find a wrecking yard that did pull just the module. $60 shipped was all it took- but some places I called said I'd need to buy the whole console (usually around $100-$120).

crookedmosquito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

I bought this one, 68397098AE, off of eBay for about $40 along with the adapter harness from mpgrimm2. 3D printed the surrounding and it works like a champ. Plus I can use usb-c or regular usb.

Jsne0244

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the 2018 model year RAMS, the 8.4 Radios were changed from the previous VP3/VP4 Harman radios to the 4C/4C-Nav radios made by Panasonic. The biggest advantage of these new 4C Radios is the support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The radios themselves fit the same mount as 2013-2017 RAMS and the radios require no special programming to work. They read the BCM of the truck just like the VP3s/VP4s. However there are some known issues and components that need to be changed to make it work 100%.

Thanks to MPGRIMM2, RICKS RAM, 00R/T, and STDECO for volunteering to test these radios in their trucks. As a result, we have had them working in a 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 trucks. We have tested seats, backup cameras, cargo cameras, android auto, apple car play, and most of the radio's standard functionality in these models.

View attachment 397333

There are two distinct versions of the radio. The 4C (Sales Code: UAS) and the 4C-Nav (Sales Code: UAQ). The only difference between the radios is that the UAS does not have built in navigation and the UAQ does. Both units support CarPlay and Android Auto. However, unlike the previous VP3 radios, Built in navigation cannot be purchased and added to the 4C radio.

Components Needed

RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ) or 68331635AH (UAS)
MEDIA HUB: 68328704AC (RAM) or 5XG28DX9AC (Compass)
MEDIA HUB CONVERSION HARNESS

RADIO
It is important that you get a radio that has the correct mount as the mount is now forged as part of the radio housing. Even though a radio out of an 18 Charger/300/Durango/etc will technically function the same as the RAM radio, the mount will not fit the RAM. Can these radios be modified to fit in a RAM.. Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it. I broke a screen trying to transplant a UAQ radio into an existing VP4 mount.

It is also important that you get a MY18 radio. All MY18 radio part numbers start with 683.... The RAM themes are only available on MY18 year radios and the firmware must be at least version 18. There is a round colored dot on the top of each radio that has a number in it that reflects the firmware version that the radio had on it when it shipped from the factory. Anything less than 18.7 may have functional problems. It is possible to upgrade radios with older versions of software (I have upgraded to 18.14 all the way from 15.5 on one radio) but I also had one fail the upgrade process. Be wary of "AA" revision radios as they are really a crapshoot of what you are actually going to get.

As of now the radio can be purchased brand new from FCA. The cost is around $1200 for the UAQ, and about $100 for the hub.

View attachment 397334

View attachment 397335

MEDIA HUB

The media hubs in pre 2018 RAMs will not work with the 2018 Radios. Unfortunately RAM changed the form factor of the media hub in the 2018 RAM Trucks. The 2018 hubs are oblong in shape compared to the square 2013 - 2017 hubs. The closest compatible hub that will fit the existing opening is the compass hub. It is not an exact fit, but it generally fits. Changing the hub in a center console truck is easier than changing it in a jumpseat equipped truck.

2018 RAM HUB

View attachment 397336

View attachment 397337

The connector on the rear of the media hub is also different, so a conversion harness will need to be built to adapt the current 6 pin connector to the 8 pin on the new hubs.

View attachment 397338

View attachment 397339

Jump Seat Insert Replacement
Trucks that have a jump seat can order part number 68376066AA which is the insert with the correct cutout for the 18 RAM USB Hub. The cost is around $95. MPGrimm2 has recorded several videos showing how to change the insert.

See his full post here: Jump Seat Insert Replacement.

Known Issues

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats and Heated Wheel will not work on 2013 and 2014 trucks (They will be on the screen but will be grayed out).

Radio Soft Keys for the Heated/Vented Seats will be missing on trucks that added factory heated/vented seats.

Settings menu may not reflect correct setting options on 2013 trucks.

Backup Camera button may be missing on 2016 and 2017 trucks. (Camera will work when in reverse, button on radio is missing).

There is no way to factory reset a radio.
I have a 2017 Ram Sport 1500. I just put a UAQ in my truck from a 2020/21 jeep wrangler. Everything works except car play because I am waiting on the USB hub and harness adapter. Heated seats and steering wheel soft buttons even work. Here is the info.

Attachments

• C3F0F22F-8233-4361-BA5B-82A23E4794F1.jpeg
    C3F0F22F-8233-4361-BA5B-82A23E4794F1.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 0006C994-1B9C-414F-A42A-709D44C3C3E5.jpeg
    0006C994-1B9C-414F-A42A-709D44C3C3E5.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 7BF88EC6-C252-49E6-8AB6-0853BA3B4F9D.jpeg
    7BF88EC6-C252-49E6-8AB6-0853BA3B4F9D.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 29

Jsne0244

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought this one, 68397098AE, off of eBay for about $40 along with the adapter harness from mpgrimm2. 3D printed the surrounding and it works like a champ. Plus I can use usb-c or regular usb.
How much would you charge to do it again and can you post a picture of it?