How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtrem714

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks to Mike for all the help.

He was able to answer all my questions and also found me a radio on ebay that I got a killer deal on new.

Went with the UAS radio and Installed it in my 2015 2500 Outdoorsman.

Also converted to Single-Zone Auto Climate Control.

Found out that I had the wiring for the Temp sensor after the fact and Mike was kind enough to take the harness he made back.

Before I had the sensor installed my AC would only work on MAX and heat on High. Nothing in between.

I would suggest if you have an HD truck thats a mid trim (In my case Outdoorsman) to pop the lower driver side kick panel to see if you have the wiring for the temp sensor.

My biggest complaint after the install was the back up camera quality.

The updated part number for the "newest" camera for the 4th gen trucks was 68274731AE.

However, after getting the updated camera and installing it. I noticed no difference in picture quality. Looking at the date it looks like this camera was very old stock 2017.

From what I have read on here the 2018+ Cameras of that part number are different and will have a cleaner picture. I have not been able to test this theory yet.

I will return the camera I got and see if they have another with a 2018 plus part number and see if it's better.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
While it likely will as far as an AA/CP upgrade, I believe it's a version intended for rest of world, other countries & not for North America. May use a DaB tuner vs fm, No SxM radio, etc. But again I can't confirm that.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will the UJQ 8.4" from a 2018+ Compass work for this application, I can get them fairly cheap.
Where do they come from? I thought a UJQ was a Panasonic with Nav out of 2018+, as Mike says for South America, Australia etc. What firmware is on them (off the sticker on the top)?

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Austen I have interference lines on my factory 2015 backup camera with the Customtronix Enzo and my Canadian UAS. I was working with Customtronix on it ... but honestly I got lazy / tired of taking my dash apart to troubleshoot. I've kind of learned to live with the interference lines.
So sorry as I just caught this again. I’m curious if there is something the Customtronix module caused that can be reverted, but not sure how we can pinpoint the location. With me Customtronix module removed and only factory installed equipment I still have the interference lines to this date. Odd though because when I first bought the truck 2 years ago it had 22k miles and no issues with the cameras until I got to installing Customtronix modules and swapping radios. Funny because I’ve done this 6+ times with both my ‘17 & ‘16 without any issues until the Customtronix Enzo in my ‘16.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, i believe there is an intermittent short. Doesn't need anything plugged in for it to happen. It "may" also be causing the camera interference you are having.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I have confirmed that the random freezing and rebooting has either been resolved with 28.3 update or because my SXM subscription is activated due to the holiday. I’ve read in the last week about several other people experiencing the same freezing/rebooting when their subscription ends. If that’s the case that’s some BS and will need to be resolved. I get the error on startup that some get after update stating device not supported but it did eliminate the camera system not available message when toggling on my factory installed cargo or back camera and now says check entire soundings. I’m still aware that it’s due to my truck being a ‘16 G56 trans with the UAQ but I’m dealing with it for the CarPlay & better radio IMO.

kingofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel Crewcab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, finally found a radio and a hub for my truck. install went well and radio is functional with nav and everything.

On to the wiring harness.. does any one have a pin to pin diagram from the old 6 connector to the new 8 connector that fits the new hub?
i have tried matching wire colours ( minus the ornange that is for the usb lights ) but it doesnt seems to work.
any help appreciated!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey all, finally found a radio and a hub for my truck. install went well and radio is functional with nav and everything.

On to the wiring harness.. does any one have a pin to pin diagram from the old 6 connector to the new 8 connector that fits the new hub?
i have tried matching wire colours ( minus the ornange that is for the usb lights ) but it doesnt seems to work.
any help appreciated!
I will have a few more of the hub adapter harnesses ready tonight/tomorrow.

hntndawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I may be missing this answer but I want to verify something before I waste money on parts. I have a 2018 2500 Tradesman. I want to upgrade to the 8.4 with carplay, but I want to stay with my knobs for the AC. If I order the 8.4 bezel adapter that infotainment makes can I just order a new 8.4 uaq radio and swap it in without any other parts or does using the manual knob style AC cause problems with the new uaq radios? I assume my media hub will be fine.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I may be missing this answer but I want to verify something before I waste money on parts. I have a 2018 2500 Tradesman. I want to upgrade to the 8.4 with carplay, but I want to stay with my knobs for the AC. If I order the 8.4 bezel adapter that infotainment makes can I just order a new 8.4 uaq radio and swap it in without any other parts or does using the manual knob style AC cause problems with the new uaq radios? I assume my media hub will be fine.
Pretty sure the stock 2018 media hub will only work with Android not Carplay.
imho and that of others who have used it, the volume control on the Infotainment bezel is know to fail on a regular basis and there is no known replacement.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That is exactly what I just did, EXCEPT I ordered the bezel from Infotainment without the volume knob. It means you only have steering wheel controls (if you don't have them you have to add them which isn't hard to do other than actually getting the steering wheel off).
The other downside is you cannot get into the Engineering menu of the UAS/UAQ as you need the canbus buttons of the ATC bezel to press to access it.

I'll update my 4th gen thread over the next few hours so you can see it finished.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do the whole conversion you will be able to use your radio touch screen hvac controls also.infotainments no volume knob bezel used to be solid now I think it has an indention or plug where the knob would have been.their solution for a volume knob is very cheap and wonky especially for the price they charge you are better off spending a little extra and doing the m2 mods full conversion.in my opinion anyway.

hntndawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That is exactly what I just did, EXCEPT I ordered the bezel from Infotainment without the volume knob. It means you only have steering wheel controls (if you don't have them you have to add them which isn't hard to do other than actually getting the steering wheel off).
The other downside is you cannot get into the Engineering menu of the UAS/UAQ as you need the canbus buttons of the ATC bezel to press to access it.

I'll update my 4th gen thread over the next few hours so you can see it finished.
I have the steering wheel controls, so was not planning on having the knob as well. Glad to hear it will work, I really only want for nav and a larger backup screen so not sure I would miss the eng functions. Just figured it would be nice to have CarPlay while I was at it.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the steering wheel controls, so was not planning on having the knob as well. Glad to hear it will work, I really only want for nav and a larger backup screen so not sure I would miss the eng functions. Just figured it would be nice to have CarPlay while I was at it.
I just updated the thread:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know with the older RA3/RA4, you could just use the RA2 bezel (the opening works for 8.4 screens. Does anyone know if this still works for the UAS/UAQ? It will allow you to live with less function and upgrade later without further cost.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$150 for the bezel with no volume knob. Wait until a sale weekend and pay less. Not a huge expense, but as stated a waste if you can live with the old bezel which doesn't quite fit but works.

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Huge thanks to @Mpgrimm2 for all of his help on this. It’s been a few months but he walked me through every step of upgrading my 2017 RAM w/RA3 to a new unit with Apple Carplay. Couldn’t be happier with my investment and very grateful for the help. If you’re on the fence about this, just do it, you’ll be thankful you did every time you drive your truck.

That being said, I have my stock RA3 and stock hub adapter from my truck for sale if anyone is hunting.

Radio: 68270657AE
Hub: 68096426AD

Best offer gets them.

Attachments

• 801FCE3B-6561-410B-B1FC-17F5689C76AF.jpeg
    801FCE3B-6561-410B-B1FC-17F5689C76AF.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2BEDA51D-1469-4C05-BE98-D20E3FD3C57C.jpeg
    2BEDA51D-1469-4C05-BE98-D20E3FD3C57C.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 10

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I know with the older RA3/RA4, you could just use the RA2 bezel (the opening works for 8.4 screens. Does anyone know if this still works for the UAS/UAQ? It will allow you to live with less function and upgrade later without further cost.
When I got my UAS and was testing to see if it fit it fit just fine behind the standard bezel. As usual you'd have to do some slight cutting to make it perfect but it would have been perfectly functional in the meantime

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357