How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
I believe I have seen it mentioned somewhere in this thread as being an issue with the 4c upgrade.... and I believe a few have had success with replacing the camera with a newer PN version from a 2018/classic 4th gen. (Not sure what the newer camera pn is, vendor @AllMoparParts.com can assist with that).

The 2018 Camera # is 68274731AE however this is the same from 2016-2022. I did come across this tech tip as well

Tech Tip Part Description: Rear View Camera

Tech Tip Description: In the case for inoperative camera, radio screen unresponsive, blank or black in reverse mode. Before replacing the camera, update radio to latest software available, give radio a sleep cycle; (disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait 5 mins), log any DTCs, check for proper connections and reconnect camera before proceeding with replacement. If function is restored with camera replacement, re-install original camera to verify its non-functionality.

-Benny

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The 2018 Camera # is 68274731AE however this is the same from 2016-2022. I did come across this tech tip as well

Tech Tip Part Description: Rear View Camera

Tech Tip Description: In the case for inoperative camera, radio screen unresponsive, blank or black in reverse mode. Before replacing the camera, update radio to latest software available, give radio a sleep cycle; (disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait 5 mins), log any DTCs, check for proper connections and reconnect camera before proceeding with replacement. If function is restored with camera replacement, re-install original camera to verify its non-functionality.

-Benny

Thanks Benny!
It looks like the original 2013-18 4th gen camera PN was 56038978AL .

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

AllMoparParts.com

- Benny
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
All
Engine
All
Thanks Benny!
It looks like the original 2013-18 4th gen camera PN was 56038978AL .

This is a bit confusing, Here is what I show

Original equipment (OE, Factory Order) rear view camera equipped trucks replacement camera
2013 - 2015 56038978AL
2016 - 2023 68274731AE

Mopar accessory add on kit replacement camera
2013 - 2018 56038978AL

-Benny

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Well crap...

I cant seem to find that one on thingverse or other sites either.

This is the one I made and use in my truck. I tried to make it friction fit but with rough roads and temps changing sizes slightly I needed to add a bit of glue.

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is the one I made and use in my truck. I tried to make it friction fit but with rough roads and temps changing sizes slightly I needed to add a bit of glue.

Thanks!

martial210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge Ram 1500 Eco diesel 3.0 L V6

Thanks @deathbyburito

martial210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have two questions about Alfaobd.

I would like to change the configuration of the USB Hub from "AUX - SD - USB" to "AUX - USB - USB2".

I would like to display the backup camera icon, which I do not have on my 4C-NAV UGQ version. (I specify that I currently have an original backup camera that works).
Here is an image with the icon I would like.
Backup Camera.jpg

What are the settings to change ?

Thanks

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have two questions about Alfaobd.

I would like to change the configuration of the USB Hub from "AUX - SD - USB" to "AUX - USB - USB2".

I would like to display the backup camera icon, which I do not have on my 4C-NAV UGQ version. (I specify that I currently have an original backup camera that works).
Here is an image with the icon I would like.
View attachment 507238

What are the settings to change ?

Thanks

USB settings are under : "external port type"

13-15 trucks have this issue with the button.... You may be able to get out to show up by enabling the Cargo Cam input (extra button that won't be used).

Someone posted a thread about getting the buttons to work (for some) not I can't find it again.

Last edited:

martial210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
USB settings are under : "external port type"

13-15 trucks have this issue with the button.... You may be able to get out to show up by enabling the Cargo Cam input (extra button that won't be used).

Someone posted a thread about getting the buttons to work (for some) not I can't find it again.
Thanks @Mpgrimm2

I have made the change to the USB settings with AlfaOBD.
"Ecu Config 3 - External Port Type" --> Selected "Aux + USB+ extra USB"

For the backup camera icon.
That's what I thought from my other research.
Not possible to make it appear with the "Infotainment 4C Retrofit Interface" (By forcing the activation of the CAN messages of the BCM) ?

So if I only have this option, I have to activate with AlfaOBD.
"VehConfig 1 - CHMSL Camera" --> Selected Yes
"CBC Features - LED CHMSL Lamp Present" --> Selected Yes

I found an additional option to activate the backup camera at more than 10 mph that seems to work, has anyone tested it yet ?
"CBC Features - Trailer tow Present" --> Selected Yes

Thanks

Last edited:

HighShyGuy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I need some assistance on my conversion.

I have a 2018 tradesman (jumpseat) that i swapped in a 2017 center console.
So the 2018 media hub is a different shape (rectangle) and pinout than the 2017 (square), so obviously that won't work.
I did do the 8.4 conversion at the same time

The radio works great, no issues other than Media Hub not being supported (I know the 2017 hub won't work)

As the one I need is back-ordered till who knows when, I thought I'd get clever and pull apart my jump seat and use that harness and hub, even if temporarily, and just let it set inside the console so I can have AA back.

Well, I took apart my jump seat (thanks for the video Mike) and pulled my hub and harness
When I took apart the center console, I realized the harness has connectors behind the vents on the back of the console (behind rear seat vents), where it feeds up to the 2017 hub... So I can't just swap my 2018 harness over into the 2017 center console for now...

What's the easiest way to get AA going until I can get the correct hub from earlier in this post (68283703AA Chrysler 200 hub)?

I did order a 2017 jeep compass (i think that's the year, was like 35 bucks, 5XG28DX9AC ) but it is the wrong pinout, maybe just a conversion harness for now from Mike so I can use AA till the best option becomes available?

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thought this wasa private message... Oops. I'll send you an email
That cheap compass hub, if it's a new knock off is likely garbage vs genuine Mopar one & not recommended ... See prior posts.

A hub adapter harness is what you need.

Last edited:

Laramie 2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Help! Just got my UAS installed and there is no sound. It turns on as expected, but there is no sound (radio, usb or Bluetooth music). Changing the volume shows the volume level go up and down, but it does nothing in terms of sound coming from my speakers.

2016 Ram 1500 Laramie with factory VP4 (NAV) and Alpine audio. Please help!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Help! Just got my UAS installed and there is no sound. It turns on as expected, but there is no sound (radio, usb or Bluetooth music). Changing the volume shows the volume level go up and down, but it does nothing in terms of sound coming from my speakers.

2016 Ram 1500 Laramie with factory VP4 (NAV) and Alpine audio. Please help!

Go take a break and check back in 20 -30 mins... The radio likely needs to finish it's reset/configure....

" * Radio is not reset until SXM button displays again and/or Backup Cam works if installed) ..."

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Quick question i have a 2019 Classic UCONNECT 4C WITH 8.4" DISPLAY is there any way to put Nav in to it and if so what do i need to add and what do i need to do ?
sorry if this has already been asked !

Thank you everybody for the help and info !!!!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Quick question i have a 2019 Classic UCONNECT 4C WITH 8.4" DISPLAY is there any way to put Nav in to it and if so what do i need to add and what do i need to do ?
sorry if this has already been asked !

Thank you everybody for the help and info !!!!

Short answer, No. You would need to replace the entire radio with the NAV version, it's not "upgradable". Better off using the nav on your phone with carplay/AA anyway.

Laramie 2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Go take a break and check back in 20 -30 mins... The radio likely needs to finish it's reset/configure....

" * Radio is not reset until SXM button displays again and/or Backup Cam works if installed) ..."

You're totally right, thanks Mpgrimm2. I disconnected the battery, reconnected, started it for a minute, turned it off and let it sit for a bit. When I came back to it the sound was working.

The sound quality doesn't seem to be as good as the VP4 Harmann radio. Not to say the USA Panasonic is bad, but there is a difference.

As of now, only one of the two USB's is working on the Ram 68238704AC hub. Will this start working after the BCM cycles through a few times or do I need to do something?

Also of note, there is no backup camera button (not even greyed out) but it works in reverse. Also, the heated and cooled seats are greyed out on the screen. Really hoping the BCM just needs to cycle through...

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You're totally right, thanks Mpgrimm2. I disconnected the battery, reconnected, started it for a minute, turned it off and let it sit for a bit. When I came back to it the sound was working.

The sound quality doesn't seem to be as good as the VP4 Harmann radio. Not to say the USA Panasonic is bad, but there is a difference.

As of now, only one of the two USB's is working on the Ram 68238704AC hub. Will this start working after the BCM cycles through a few times or do I need to do something?

Also of note, there is no backup camera button (not even greyed out) but it works in reverse. Also, the heated and cooled seats are greyed out on the screen. Really hoping the BCM just needs to cycle through...

Sound: not sure what application version you're radio is running, but latest is v39.6.x which may help. Most people consider the sound quality better on the Harmon RAx radios also.

USB Hub: you will need to use AlfaOBD to change the "External Port Type" to USB+Aux+2nd USB in the BCM to get both ports active on the Ram xxxxx704Ax hub.

Cam Buttons: You may be able to activate the "cargo Cam" input to get both camera buttons to show up.

Seats: I would expect the seat menu controls to work on your 2016 EcoDiesel with factory 8.4... if your truck is deleted/tuned the tune file may be preventing the radio from updating it's configuration fully. .. or a radio SW update may help (application version??)... or possibly additional time needed or a swap of the driver seat control module with a newer one (CSWM) which I wouldn't think should be needed on a 2016.

Laramie 2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sound: not sure what application version you're radio is running, but latest is v39.6.x which may help. Most people consider the sound quality better on the Harmon RAx radios also.

USB Hub: you will need to use AlfaOBD to change the "External Port Type" to USB+Aux+2nd USB in the BCM to get both ports active on the Ram xxxxx704Ax hub.

Cam Buttons: You may be able to activate the "cargo Cam" input to get both camera buttons to show up.

Seats: I would expect the seat menu controls to work on your 2016 EcoDiesel with factory 8.4... if your truck is deleted/tuned the tune file may be preventing the radio from updating it's configuration fully. .. or a radio SW update may help (application version??)... or possibly additional time needed or a swap of the driver seat control module with a newer one (CSWM) which I wouldn't think should be needed on a 2016.
Thanks again Mpgrimm2. The harness works great!

The software version is 19.29.2a and application version is NN-CAN-ASO-8.4-JR-30.21.0-20190717-JOHM.

The backup camera icon has now appeared and the heated/cooled seats are no longer greyed out on the screen. I guess it just needed more time to update/pair with the BCM. My truck isn't deleted or tuned.

I noticed now that Android Auto seems to work on either USB outlet, but USB music will only work on the left outlet on the Ram 68238704AC hub. The second USB (on the right) isn't available on the screen, but SD Card is. This works for me, so I guess I won't bother with Alpha OBD.

Everything seems to be working correctly now... knock on wood.

Last edited: