How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@jdip
- I believe someone in the thread successfully tried a xxxxx632 radio that ended up being a Canadian RAM 4c nav unit. Maybe it was in an email I received.

- what year is your truck?
I believe 16+ trucks are not seeing the limited text data on the Evic that has been confirmed on 13 & 14's. I personally thought the benefit of Android Auto/CarPlay out weighed the negative. @DeereGuy has a 16 ram and may confirm.

M² Mods.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014. I did just look back and @61N150W said he has a uas installed but he was the only one I found.

The radio I purchased is a US version UAQ so hopefully it won't be looking for that shark fin antenna or any of the hardware that doesn't exist. @Mpgrimm2 I know we discussed some of this via PM I'm just getting the pre "expensive mod" jitters hoping everything works out. I also spent the money on the infotainment harness so my heated seats and steering wheel soft button will work.

I am OCD as hell so it's the little things that bother me so hopefully that won't bug me. I wish I re read the entire thread earlier. I should have gotten a UAS and didn't even have to worry about the turn by turn feature entirely.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Pmd you my phone number if you'd like to call me now on my drive into work

M² Mods.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey guys...got an issue that I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a 2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman, and I took out my RA2 radio. Bought a 68831631AE UAQ radio from a guy that also had a 2018 RAM 1500, and I installed it this morning. Works great, but I can't seem to get CarPlay to work. I'm on an iPhone 8s. I can connect to it via Bluetooth and have no issue getting texts, dialing using the screen, navigation, SiriusXM...everything works good in that regard. I didn't know if I could connect to CarPlay wirelessly (Mike G informed me that I cannot), but apparently the USB needs to be used to connect. But even with the USB, it won't connect to CarPlay. I tried connecting another iPhone (an SE), and it doesn't want to connect either. I've tried all the tricks I could - I've forgot the phone on the radio and the radio on the phone, reset the phone, turned off Bluetooth and tried only to connect via USB (it will play music from my phone that way just fine), I disconnected the battery and reconnected it...nothing seems to want to work. I think I got all the settings on my phone correct, but I don't know.

My next step, I suppose, is to see if my buddy's Android works. If it does, maybe it's an issue with my iPhone. If not, then it could be the USB Hub. I've got a factory hub but I thought the 2018 hubs were okay and didn't need upgraded/swapping.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? I'm hoping it's something I've overlooked and I can get it working without too much trouble.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PN for Ram UAQ is 68331631AH. Which is different from what you have posted. Might just be a typo. I would say it is probably your media hub. There is a possibility. It is the media connector in the back of the radio. I would suggest first thing pull the radio and make sure the media connector is seated properly and then move to the hub. Is the hub itself getting power does it charge your phone? Can you use the regular media option when you phone is plugged in?

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
PS: 68331631AH AE AD AF etc all same
(Some AA units may be engineering samples)

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys...got an issue that I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a 2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman, and I took out my RA2 radio. Bought a 68831631AE UAQ radio from a guy that also had a 2018 RAM 1500, and I installed it this morning. Works great, but I can't seem to get CarPlay to work. I'm on an iPhone 8s. I can connect to it via Bluetooth and have no issue getting texts, dialing using the screen, navigation, SiriusXM...everything works good in that regard. I didn't know if I could connect to CarPlay wirelessly (Mike G informed me that I cannot), but apparently the USB needs to be used to connect. But even with the USB, it won't connect to CarPlay. I tried connecting another iPhone (an SE), and it doesn't want to connect either. I've tried all the tricks I could - I've forgot the phone on the radio and the radio on the phone, reset the phone, turned off Bluetooth and tried only to connect via USB (it will play music from my phone that way just fine), I disconnected the battery and reconnected it...nothing seems to want to work. I think I got all the settings on my phone correct, but I don't know.

My next step, I suppose, is to see if my buddy's Android works. If it does, maybe it's an issue with my iPhone. If not, then it could be the USB Hub. I've got a factory hub but I thought the 2018 hubs were okay and didn't need upgraded/swapping.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? I'm hoping it's something I've overlooked and I can get it working without too much trouble.
@gibbs was able to use the factory hub in his 2018 ram 2500 for the UAQ upgrade. This is all a bit strange.

Gibbs install thread

M² Mods.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I installed my UAQ in my 2018 1500, it was plug and play. The factory usb hub worked perfectly without any issue.

My buddy installed a different UAQRadio(Grand Cherokee) and he had to replace his usb hub cause it was not compatible. But it worked with the upgraded USB hub without a problem.

Also what firmware is your radio?

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

As usual, my money is on drivers if all the physical connections are good.

This happened to me with the very first RA3 I installed.

If you can read a standard USB drive formatted FAT32 with MP3 files on it from the hub, your drivers might be good. If not, try to get a copy of your current firmware and reflash it. If you can't find your current firmware, use the latest. If you can't use the media hub (because drivers), you can use an adapter to plug a USB drive directly into the back of the radio bypassing the hub and it's drivers to reflash the firmware...

Adapter: USB Host Cable Mini B Male To USB A Female OTG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JK1OFOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1Lo6Bb8D9S3V4

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. Just went through sort of the same situation today. I have an android and an iphone. I have a uaq that I installed and it came with a media hub. However instead of getting the right connector for the media hub the person soldered the wires to the connector. I was having some flakeness with it trying to connect automatically to the aux input when I hit a bump. I disconnected the media hub and problem went away. So I figured that was the problem. I picked up another one off the forum a couple of weeks ago it was supposedly from an 18 ram. Got the new wiring adapter from MPGRIMM2's counter part last week pluged the new hub in and I was golden. Android works flawlessly with the new hub. Well I went to try my iphone the yesterday and I could not get it to connect to save my life. Connects bluetooth flawlessly. Tried new cords and even my son's iphone. Nada no carplay at all. It was working with the other hub though. So I de-soldered the wires from my original hub and plugged it into the harness and bam works like a charm.

It sounds like it is a hub issue like I had. If an android works fine but carplay doesn't I would lean in the direction that there is something about that hub that the iphone doesn't like. I would theorize that if an android would work an iphone would work as well. Evidently that is not the case as i found out today. 68322813ac is the part number that only works with the android. I would need to go look in the previous posts for my working part number.

Just an fyi that I learned today.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for all the feedback, guys...much appreciated! Okay, I will update what I can right now:

1. The PN for Ram UAQ that I bought is 68331631AE. I think the current radio version is -AH, but -AE is a valid UAQ radio as well. My guess is (and anyone...please feel free to correct me!) is that those last letters are either a production run/batch or the installed firmware version...something like that (I don't know a lot about radios, but other products usually do something like that).
  2. My hub is a factory hub, and I'll include a picture of it below. It's in the front center fold down seat. It is not a dual media hub, which I understand might be the problem.
  3. The firmware of my radio is 19.9
  4. I put some music on a USB this morning. Plugged it into the media port and it automatically started playing the music.
  5. I'm meeting up with my buddy who has an Android this morning, so hopefully he can help me figure out if it's the hub or my iPhone that's giving me issues. I'll update the result of that in a little while.
Thanks for the feedback, guys, and appreciate your continued input and help!

image1.jpeg

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Another update...

My buddy downloaded Android Auto then plugged in his phone. Android Auto automatically started.

Stranger and stranger! Maybe icetraxx is on to something?

I can connect Bluetooth just fine. I cannot connect my iPhone via USB, though - the radio doesn’t see it. Strange thing...my wife’s iPod connects automatically via USB and starts playing music. But maybe that’s because
It’s a glorified MP3 player? But neither my iPhone nor my son’s iPhone connects via USB. It charges just fine, just not connection to to radio.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another update...

My buddy downloaded Android Auto then plugged in his phone. Android Auto automatically started.

I can connect Bluetooth just fine. I cannot connect my iPhone via USB, though - the radio doesn’t see it. Strange thing...my wife’s iPod connects automatically via USB and starts playing music. But maybe that’s because
It’s a glorified MP3 player? But neither my iPhone nor my son’s iPhone connects via USB. It charges just fine, just not connection to to radio.

What IOS is your IPhone on?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another update...

Hey. Just by chance. Go into your settings on your iPhone. Click on general then click on CarPlay........ select usb only and see if it works then.
78389cefc76481ab0daf16fb748fef4c.jpg

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
One more quick update....

I literally just bought an Apple cord, just to be certain (I’ve been trying to connect with an official Apple cord), but still no luck.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
iOS is 12.1

Here’s what I see when I go to Settings>CarPlay...

6B331899-7D04-4A47-ABAC-D7B78104FEE0.png

It stays this way indefinitely.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One more quick update....

I literally just bought an Apple cord, just to be certain (I’ve been trying to connect with an official Apple cord), but still no luck.

54e26d980c4a075eadfc0752b0087fed.jpg

458995603b9121f3fbb799fb6083186a.jpg

If your phone is recognizing the radio at all this should be an option in the CarPlay setting. Make sure you phone is unlocked also when plugging your phone into the radio. As seen on my phone I have it enabled to play when the phone is locked. Obviously the UConnect is My truck radio and the Sync 3 is my wife’s escape.

5a2577234a81f42129c73c311418611c.jpg

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for the pics Lawsuit.

I never get to my vehicle on the CarPlay screen, as it never shows up. And yeah, my phone is unlocked when I try to connect.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the pics Lawsuit.

I never get to my vehicle on the CarPlay screen, as it never shows up. And yeah, my phone is unlocked when I try to connect.

Try these tips to see if they help you out

https://www.imobie.com/support/fix-carplay-not-working.htm