How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, sir. It is checked.

And yeah, Mike, I certainly don't want to have a dealer start cutting out stuff from my vehicle!

So, unless there's something else that can be done/tried, it looks like the next step is to get one of these hubs.

Try this. It’s a shot in the dark make sure your phone is connected by bluetooth

4d79503e86ca0cce5fcbfabd0e784925.jpg
33054e8f16f58a4617737fbb8400b76c.jpgmake sure this is checked smartphone device mirroring
6e078b7b803ae323b9a855ff579fa6b7.jpgclick on your phone and make sure enable CarPlay is checked

Then plug in your phone by the USB port. If one of mine are not checked it doesn’t go into CarPlay automatically

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my radio in. Just FYI looks like it has a different part number. 68396531AC Date code 2628 and manufacture date of September 2018.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my radio in. Just FYI looks like it has a different part number. 68396531AC Date code 2628 and manufacture date of September 2018.

By that part number and a quick search. Looks like it came from a Charger/Challenger. Can’t promise you it will work but you might get lucky. All you can do is instal it and hope for the best. What we have seen. If it’s not an exact Ram radio you will possibly need the new hub for anything to work.

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes sir, both of those are checked. When I click the "Connect Device" button below, there's a few second delay then I get this:

View attachment 146402

Now that we have gone through all that I would suggest getting the new hub. PN 68328704

At worst of it doesn’t work just return the radio and look for another one.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is a factory reset still an option on these UAS/UAQs?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is a factory reset still an option on these UAS/UAQs?

No. That menu disappeared with one of the updates. Cause I’ve tried to access it like everyone did on the RA3/4 with no success.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Who does UConnect think they are locking everything down...Apple?

No. That menu disappeared with one of the updates. Cause I’ve tried to access it like everyone did on the RA3/4 with no success.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who does UConnect think they are locking everything down...Apple?

That would be my assumption too.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Now that we have gone through all that I would suggest getting the new hub. PN 68328704

At worst of it doesn’t work just return the radio and look for another one.

Yeah, that's where I think I'm heading towards. But I don't see how that's going to fix the issue, unless there's something different on a hardware level that will make it work.

The radio was bought on Craigslist for a very, very good price. So returning is not an option.

You don't suppose there's a 19.9 firmware floating around anywhere, do you? I might try to update to the latest firmware - even though that's not the preferred one - but I don't know if that would fix it or not.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that's where I think I'm heading towards. But I don't see how that's going to fix the issue, unless there's something different on a hardware level that will make it work.

The radio was bought on Craigslist for a very, very good price. So returning is not an option.

You don't suppose there's a 19.9 firmware floating around anywhere, do you? I might try to update to the latest firmware - even though that's not the preferred one - but I don't know if that would fix it or not.

I know no one on our forum has the Firmware. I’ve been working with Mpgrimm2 trying to get 19.9 UAQ/S firmware from a friend that works at FCA. I don’t have it yet nor can I confirm I will have it. See it wasn’t with a Ram radio but with different radios. One from a Grand Cherokee the original hub does not work for some reason. It seems like it’s a compatibility issue with the actual radio drivers. The Dual USB hub is the latest hub and it has worked for everyone that has had a hub problem. Apple as I’m sure you’re aware of is a pain in the ass with their security on their products. It could possibly be something with their security that is messing stuff up also with the older hubs.

The very very good price could be why he got rid of the radio for that price cause of the Apple CarPlay problem. I paid $800 for my radio and it was one of the few I could find.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I think the hub or firmware will work. To explain, the guy you bought it from probably has the hub you don't have and those drivers are what are currently in the radio. "If" it were possible to flash your firmware, the correct drivers "should" load for the hub that's currently connected and likely fix your issue.

I could be wrong though if they have changed more than just the hardware substantially but also the firmware flashing process too...

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
So...and this has probably been answered a hundred times...is there a way for me to get the current firmware? I know I can't get over the air updates. Is it impossible in the current environment?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So...and this has probably been answered a hundred times...is there a way for me to get the current firmware? I know I can't get over the air updates. Is it impossible in the current environment?
It was mentioned these newer radios will not let you flash the current firmware. Only newer...which is very dumb of UConnect in my opinion.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
It was mentioned these newer radios will not let you flash the current firmware. Only newer...which is very dumb of UConnect in my opinion.

Okay, sir...so let me ask you this - what's the current version and can it be downloaded? And should I? I have 19.9 and I'm certain that's not current (though it's supposed to be very good!).

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, sir...so let me ask you this - what's the current version and can it be downloaded? And should I? I have 19.9 and I'm certain that's not current (though it's supposed to be very good!).
21.9 is the next version which has the garbage sound quality. There is no know 21.9 firmware that we know someone has(I don’t think you would want it anyways)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know he gave you the VIN, did you try putting that in UConnect's site to see if there is a download available?

Lawsuit and MPGrimm2 have a firmer grasp on what is and is not working/available on these UAQ and UAS radio's then I do and I think they may have answered that.

I was going to eventually upgrade my 8.4 to a UAQ but ended up with a Tesla style radio from another member here who REALLY hooked me up on the price. It took A LOT of tinkering and lurking around a Russian forum called 4PDA but the Tesla style radio is now a great alternative to this upgrade for me now ( I would not however recommend it over this upgrade by any means)...

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I know no one on our forum has the Firmware. I’ve been working with Mpgrimm2 trying to get 19.9 UAQ/S firmware from a friend that works at FCA. I don’t have it yet nor can I confirm I will have it. See it wasn’t with a Ram radio but with different radios. One from a Grand Cherokee the original hub does not work for some reason. It seems like it’s a compatibility issue with the actual radio drivers. The Dual USB hub is the latest hub and it has worked for everyone that has had a hub problem. Apple as I’m sure you’re aware of is a pain in the ass with their security on their products. It could possibly be something with their security that is messing stuff up also with the older hubs.

The very very good price could be why he got rid of the radio for that price cause of the Apple CarPlay problem. I paid $800 for my radio and it was one of the few I could find.

No, I don't think the guy got rid of the radio for that reason. At least I don't believe that to be the case. Maybe I'm wrong. He seemed like an upstanding guy.

I think that it's either the firmware or the hub, as SitKneelBend (and others) said. It's nice to know that most issues like this has been solved with the hub change.

I just talked to an FCA customer person, and she said that 21.9 should be out for this radio soon. Odd thing is, that 19.9 is the version I have and Drive UConnect says the radio is up to date. But I thought there was a more current version?

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I know he gave you the VIN, did you try putting that in UConnect's site to see if there is a download available?

Lawsuit and MPGrimm2 have a firmer grasp on what is and is not working/available on these UAQ and UAS radio's then I do and I think they may have answered that.

I was going to eventually upgrade my 8.4 to a UAQ but ended up with a Tesla style radio from another member here who REALLY hooked me up on the price. It took A LOT of tinkering and lurking around a Russian forum called 4PDA but the Tesla style radio is now a great alternative to this upgrade for me now ( I would not however recommend it over this upgrade by any means)...

Yeah, the UConnect site says I'm up to date.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you find this? Not doubting you just hoping I didnt get screwed. I googled and all the parts sites didn't list a fitment.
I bought it from the seller on eBay and it's supposed to be for a Ram. They sell multiple UAQs so maybe they gave me the wrong one. I've asked the seller to confirm. The mount looks exactly as it should compared to the photos on page 1

By that part number and a quick search. Looks like it came from a Charger/Challenger. Can’t promise you it will work but you might get lucky. All you can do is instal it and hope for the best. What we have seen. If it’s not an exact Ram radio you will possibly need the new hub for anything to work.

Last edited: