How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
5FE8959E-085B-461F-90BA-69CB294254BC.jpeg One last post before I stop pestering you all this morning...sorry for the flurry in posting.

Turned back on my BT and a few seconds later I get a message on my screen:

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That hub looks identical to the one that that only worked with the android. The one that does work for me has different symbols on the front and it also has a 3rd usb connection for another plug in the rear. The one that didn't work with carplay only has one.

That was the same error that I was getting as well

Another update...

My buddy downloaded Android Auto then plugged in his phone. Android Auto automatically started.

Stranger and stranger! Maybe icetraxx is on to something?

I can connect Bluetooth just fine. I cannot connect my iPhone via USB, though - the radio doesn’t see it. Strange thing...my wife’s iPod connects automatically via USB and starts playing music. But maybe that’s because
It’s a glorified MP3 player? But neither my iPhone nor my son’s iPhone connects via USB. It charges just fine, just not connection to to radio.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Is the consensus here to replace my hub? I worry that it’s going to be the same problem. In other words, why would a new USB hub work? And why should I have to buy one when this one is supposed to? :)

Right now:
  • USB with music is recognized in the media port and plays
  • iPod is recognized in the media port and plays
  • Android phone is recognized in the media port and starts Android Auto automatically
  • iPhone charges but is not recognized as a USB device
If all this is true, then it sounds like either UConnect that needs an update or my phone needs one (and both are allegedly up to date) to fix this issue. That’s where the worry comes in - if I get a new hub, will I still have the same problem?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I say reflash first. Not all drivers are loaded for all configurations.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say get the new hub replace it. If it doesn’t work return it lol. My buddy is supposed to be coming over tonight so I’m going to switch his back to the factory hub and see if android auto works because I know with his grand Cherokee radio iPhone only works on the upgraded hub. I’m going to see if I can get the original hub to work with android auto. I know it’s a different radio but the Radio drivers could read different with a different hub. Who knows lmao

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Seriously, flashing is free and no one has tried it. You can also do it NOW!

It would explain why that hub works for some and not others.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say reflash first. Not all drivers are loaded for all configurations.

See the problem with reflashing it is he will have to actually have the copy of his firmware. If it’s 19.9 it’s hard to get. I’m in the process of getting 19.9 for UAQ and UAS.

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion! MTC to ATC Mod almost

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Same or newer firmware should work just the same.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Chrysler has released publicly only to 18.xx.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Chrysler has only released publicly only to 18.xx.

The plot thickens...as you were.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Well shoot! I heard that 19.9 was a good one to have, and I certainly don't want to lose it if it's hard to get. That's a great idea, honestly, SitKneelBend...if someone has the 19.9 update they'd be willing to send my way first. :)

Another interesting note: I plugged my phone in and then turned on the truck. The radio recognizes my phone, as a generic device (it appears) and will play music through it. However, there's no controls on the radio that will work. I can pause, skip, etc. songs on my iPhone, but the controls on the radio will not control it. Weird.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well shoot! I heard that 19.9 was a good one to have, and I certainly don't want to lose it if it's hard to get.

Another interesting note: I plugged my phone in and then turned on the truck. The radio recognizes my phone, as a generic device (it appears) and will play music through it. However, there's no controls on the radio that will work. I can pause, skip, etc. songs on my iPhone, but the controls on the radio will not control it. Weird.
Sounds like it works like the older AUX connection. What does the other USB port do?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

And apparently these UAx Panasonic radios won't let you reflash the same update (or back to an earlier one).

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Nope.
Neither apple nor the dealer will be any help with this non factory installed equipment.

Edit: I've have seen and heard dealer's cutout & remove "Mods" as part of their troubleshooting steps... If it's not factory they don't want to deal with it. Sometimes the damage is worse than before.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well shoot! I heard that 19.9 was a good one to have, and I certainly don't want to lose it if it's hard to get. That's a great idea, honestly, SitKneelBend...if someone has the 19.9 update they'd be willing to send my way first. :)

Is the “auto show” box checked in your display settings on the radio?

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Is the “auto show” box checked in your display settings on the radio?

Yes, sir. It is checked.

And yeah, Mike, I certainly don't want to have a dealer start cutting out stuff from my vehicle!

So, unless there's something else that can be done/tried, it looks like the next step is to get one of these hubs.