How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes, it's definitely more. They want an extra $275 for the UAQ radio w/USB hub & hub harness ...

$1600 UAQ or $1200 for UAS
($1220 at AllMoparParts.com 'A.M.P'.)
($100 for UAQ hub at A.M.P.)
($40 for hub harness from us, M² Mods)

You could buy the actual 18 ram jumpseat insert for the correct hub and still have $175 left over. But you won't get their support/backing on the mod.

+ $500 if you also need to upgrade from a base radio via the 8.4 HVAC Conversion (bezel, module, harnesses). Which you can also get yourself via the 8.4 Conversion thread.

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458159]M² Mods.

Last edited:

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where can we get the 2018 center console non-jumpseat?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Where can we get the 2018 center console non-jumpseat?

The 2018 insert for the console hasn't been confirmed because no one is willing to spend @ $300 to order one to verify it yet.
But, your can contact forum vendor AllMoparParts (PoC: Benny) and he can see about identifying the correct insert for you. There are apparently several versions based on with/without CD player, color variations, etc. Whereas the jumpseat is just black. If your decide to pursue it, let us know the outcome.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tossed the UAS in today. Thanks to STecoD for selling me his HU and DeereGuy for the Media Harness (should be here tomorrow).
Nice upgrade from the 5.0 Uconnect. I have noticed a few things, such as headlight, door lock and a few other options are not available. I'll have to look into that but not a big issue as the settings are saved in the bcm from the old HU. Also, I don't currently have the 911 delete resistor attached and I believe that may be the cause for the current CEL after install.
Waiting anxiously for the Media hub to arrive as my main reasoning for the upgrade was use of Android Auto.aac1a7991c08201b9e7cd47089341fd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Tossed the UAS in today.
Nice upgrade from the 5.0 Uconnect. I have noticed a few things, such as headlight, door lock and a few other options are not available. I'll have to look into that but not a big issue as the settings are saved in the bcm from the old HU.

Keep us posted on this if you would. I've also go a '14 with the 5.0 and I'm considering upgrading to the UAS, but I'm not willing to loose any functionality to do it.

-K

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tossed the UAS in today. Thanks to STecoD for selling me his HU and DeereGuy for the Media Harness (should be here tomorrow).
Nice upgrade from the 5.0 Uconnect. I have noticed a few things, such as headlight, door lock and a few other options are not available. I'll have to look into that but not a big issue as the settings are saved in the bcm from the old HU. Also, I don't currently have the 911 delete resistor attached and I believe that may be the cause for the current CEL after install.
Waiting anxiously for the Media hub to arrive as my main reasoning for the upgrade was use of Android Auto.aac1a7991c08201b9e7cd47089341fd1.jpg

If you go into your settings menu and select themes you can take if off of the Uconnect default screen and select one of five Ram themes if you chose. I'm not sure if not having the 911 delete plug would cause a check engine light to set on these radios. Since this conversion is relatively new we don't have as much information as we do for the RA3 and RA4 radios. I have the full conversion and didnt get a check engine light when I installed the UAS or the UAQ. You are also the first person I am aware of who has installed the UAS or UAQ radio that hasn't done the full conversion. I am wondering if it posibly has something to do with that? If the light doesn't clear up on his own I would recommend plugging in a scan tool and seeing what the check engine light is for and work from there. You are going to enjoy the Android Auto. It works great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go into your settings menu and select themes you can take if off of the Uconnect default screen and select one of five Ram themes if you chose. I'm not sure if not having the 911 delete plug would cause a check engine light to set on these radios. Since this conversion is relatively new we don't have as much information as we do for the RA3 and RA4 radios. I have the full conversion and didnt get a check engine light when I installed the UAS or the UAQ. You are also the first person I am aware of who has installed the UAS or UAQ radio that hasn't done the full conversion. I am wondering if it posibly has something to do with that? If the light doesn't clear up on his own I would recommend plugging in a scan tool and seeing what the check engine light is for and work from there. You are going to enjoy the Android Auto. It works great!

If you don't have a scan tool, just go to your local auto parts store and have them scan it.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 2018 insert for the console hasn't been confirmed because no one is willing to spend @ $300 to order one to verify it yet.
But, your can contact forum vendor AllMoparParts (PoC: Benny) and he can see about identifying the correct insert for you. There are apparently several versions based on with/without CD player, color variations, etc. Whereas the jumpseat is just black. If your decide to pursue it, let us know the outcome.

I reached out to Benny at allmopar, he informed me the console top bin and lid would cost $500.... Which is pretty high for a HUB perfect fit fix lol.

I'm pending more info on other solutions and will advise when I find out.

Last edited:

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'll test it out tomorrow with the 911 delete and see if that makes any changes.
I really should do the full conversion, but with so many other mods recently (Did you guys know you can get Falken Wildpeak tires delivered to AK for free through Amazon?!), it's becoming difficult to hide the bills from the Mrs. If the HVAC conversion seems to be the CEL culprit, I'll have no other choice.
As for the infotainment bezel... I didn't go for the volume control version for $$$ reasons, but I gotta say for $150, it would have been nice if it didn't have the punch out visible for the volume control knob. Not super impressed with that.449612d7afd29d61d476d956d0c2d5b2.jpg

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll test it out tomorrow with the 911 delete and see if that makes any changes.
I really should do the full conversion, but with so many other mods recently (Did you guys know you can get Falken Wildpeak tires delivered to AK for free through Amazon?!), it's becoming difficult to hide the bills from the Mrs. If the HVAC conversion seems to be the CEL culprit, I'll have no other choice.
As for the infotainment bezel... I didn't go for the volume control version for $$$ reasons, but I gotta say for $150, it would have been nice if it didn't have the punch out visible for the volume control knob. Not super impressed with that.449612d7afd29d61d476d956d0c2d5b2.jpg

Well, strange development: All systems are go. I drove back to the office tonight to put some OT in (to pay for all of your inspirations) and all of the settings are populated along with no more CEL. Perhaps the BCM had some learning to do? Not 100% sure, but a happy camper here! [emoji106]

OP
OP
DeereGuy

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, strange development: All systems are go. I drove back to the office tonight to put some OT in (to pay for all of your inspirations) and all of the settings are populated along with no more CEL. Perhaps the BCM had some learning to do? Not 100% sure, but a happy camper here! [emoji106]

It takes a few key cycles for the radio to completely pair with the truck. You can tell when it has read the BCM and updated to the truck's settings when the SXM button appears on the Radio Page. As to why you got a MIL, I have never seen that before. At least it is all good now. Also the fact that you are not getting 911 error messages seems to confirm that the bypass plugs are not required on these new radios.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's good to hear. I haven't seen one of these radios turn on a CEL either. The Android Auto is a nice feature. You will have Google Maps and I recommend downloading Waze maps as well if you don't already have it. You can switch back and forth depending on which one you want to use.

rkstar188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is awesome work guys! I am planning on doing this on my 2017 soon! Keep it up!

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ECU 3 External Port Type is what Drives what Options are shown under media on the radio.Both usb ports will work yes, but the if you had a SD card reader before it'll still show under Media even if the SD card hub is not installed.

Options are:
Absent
AUX Only
AUX + USB
AUX + USB + SD
AUX + USB + extra USB
AUX + USB + SD + Extra USB
None Used.

They make a hub with AUX + USB + SD + Extra USB? Can we get a HUB with USB type C?

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They make a hub with AUX + USB + SD + Extra USB? Can we get a HUB with USB type C?

Just out of honest curiosity, in what situation would a female USB type C connection on the Media hub be used? My S8+ has the type C which I appreciate when trying to plug it in to charge at night (no orientation guessing), but most all adapters I see still have the type A male on the opposite end.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just out of honest curiosity, in what situation would a female USB type C connection on the Media hub be used? My S8+ has the type C which I appreciate when trying to plug it in to charge at night (no orientation guessing), but most all adapters I see still have the type A male on the opposite end.

Type C is becoming the new standard for USB. If you look at the 2019 Rams with the 12.1 screens, even they have the USB C standard. Many laptops use female USB C to charge, phone now have them, etc. Also, the data transfer rate and speed of charge is higher.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
E13ACF75-F755-4F5E-ADBD-68F2D8245BC6.png BFF06F15-CC10-4555-A596-577D2E4F99EE.png I tried a UAQ radio from a 2018 Durango in my UAS equipped 2018 2500 and it did not work. I have an 18 Durango with the 7” screen and it works in there with no issues. I’m wondering if the bcm has to be set to UAQ or something? I know others have installed in older trucks with no issues, I’m wondering if this is 2018 related. But on a side note, the tabs from the Durango radio don’t need to be cut. I put the radio in and put my bezel back on with no issues. I would get a self driller and catch the dash plastic for the top holes. There is something to catch in about 1/2 of the hole. Below are some pics of it in the ram, and powered up in the Durango.

82E8875C-4638-4508-874B-3EFDBE56848D.jpeg

629008F3-2610-4F07-A15A-FA7009F921D8.png

C2892F92-81B3-4C42-8C20-DFB7B768D5F9.png

y0rascal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm really considering this upgrade but I'm worried about functionality loss. I have a 2017 ram 1500 sport night edition with the ra4 8.4 now.

Will i not have the back up camera icon? Will I have issues with the ac/heated seats on the uaq? Any other issues i might come up with when switching?

Also what are the parts numbers for the usb hub, console tray to fit the new hub correctly to make it look like it belongs. I plan on purchasing lifetime warranty through Mopar for my truck so don't want issues down the road. I hate the navigation on my current ra4, and would like Google maps as my main nav option which is why I'm considering this.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
View attachment 123067 View attachment 123068 I tried a UAQ radio from a 2018 Durango in my UAS equipped 2018 2500 and it did not work. I have an 18 Durango with the 7” screen and it works in there with no issues. I’m wondering if the bcm has to be set to UAQ or something? I know others have installed in older trucks with no issues, I’m wondering if this is 2018 related. But on a side note, the tabs from the Durango radio don’t need to be cut. I put the radio in and put my bezel back on with no issues. I would get a self driller and catch the dash plastic for the top holes. There is something to catch in about 1/2 of the hole. Below are some pics of it in the ram, and powered up in the Durango.

View attachment 123069

View attachment 123070

View attachment 123071

Not sure why that one didn’t work. Current one in my truck is a Durango radio and works 100%