How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The radio should read the BCM and show the Ram theme after several key cycles. It usually goes to the generic Uconnect screen when its first installed. Did your truck come with the Auto Temp Control or did you add it with the Auto Engenuity tool prior to installing the radio and had you used the AE tool for any other changes? The AE tool will change your BCM to Chrysler when you change certain things in the BCM. We all had it change our BCM's to Chrysler when we added the ATC and it sounds like that's what it did with yours. It's not a stable tool and I don't reccomend using it. Several of us messed our trucks up and had to have them flashed by the dealer to start over. Your vehicle brand should say Ram. I reccomend getting the Alfa tool if your planning on making anymore changes. After the dealer flashed the BCM back to stock it should be showing the Ram themes so I'm not really sure what would cause it to still be showing Chrysler. I actually had to have mine flashed twice to get everything back to normal after using the AE tool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll have the dealer flash it again. I told them that all the settings didn't get flashed because my TPMS settings didn't change and the fogs with high beams still worked. Any chance my MM3 could cause an issue with the BCM flash? I unplugged it but didn't 'return to stock'. When I first got the AE software a couple years ago, I was going thru all the settings and accidentally changed the HVAC. I suspect that it caused the current issue but I had an aftermarket radio and never saw it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My current UAs as the button for back up camera
Which actually functions
Wow that is strange and kinda cool! I can tell you that it 100% is not in your BCM on a 2014 so it just must be some feature that the radio is somehow keeping. It's even crazier that it works. It also might explain why your having other issues with the radio backup cam. I have had two UAQ radios in my truck and one UAS for testing and none of them had the trailer hitch soft key. My 16 RA4 doesn't show it on the screen either when installed in my 14 even though it was an option in 2016. I can tell you with quite a but of certainty that you will not have the backup cam soft key on any RA3 or RA4 radio you install in your 14 because the feature is not in your BCM. I hope I'm wrong and your truck is somehow different but I have never seen it. We all jumped on the 16 RA3 and RA4 radios when we saw the (Trailer Hitch Camera) option on the 16 Rams before we had the Alfa tool to read the BCM but soon realized the trailer hich camera did not work in the 13 to 15 trucks.I installed the Cargo Cam and can acess my backup camera that way but I have to use the Cargo Cam soft key. I have noticed these UAS/UAQ radios are pretty glitchy in the 13 and 14 trucks. I tried the UAQ for a while and pulled it out. There were just to many little things it did that bothered me.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I'll have the dealer flash it again. I told them that all the settings didn't get flashed because my TPMS settings didn't change and the fogs with high beams still worked. Any chance my MM3 could cause an issue with the BCM flash? I unplugged it but didn't 'return to stock'. When I first got the AE software a couple years ago, I was going thru all the settings and accidentally changed the HVAC. I suspect that it caused the current issue but I had an aftermarket radio and never saw it.
I would say it's a pretty good bet that's what happened and your brand has been changed this whole time and you didn't know. I would recommend having the dealer Flash it again to make sure everything goes back and then you'll probably be set. After the dealer resets your BCM the radio should automatically start picking up the Ram themes after a few key cycles but it sometimes takes longer. You shouldn't have to touch anything else with any tools. I recommend staying away from the AE tool and strictly using the Alpha for any changes or monitoring. My buddy messed his truck up with the AE tool just by going in and doing system tests. It is not a stable tool.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm having a weird issue on my 2016 2500. I installed a UAS radio out of a 2018 3500. Everything works fine but the themes and closing splash screen are Chrysler. If I look at the 'Vehicle Brand' with the AutoEnginuity software, it shows Chrysler. Although dangerous, I changed it to Ram. That worked but then the HVAC changed itself to MTC. I changed it to ATC plus Dual zone and it changed itself to back Chrysler. I thought my BCM was jacked, so I had it flashed at the dealer but the issue remains. Any ideas?
Just to pile on here. I have a 2019 UAS installed in my 2014. It shows ATC controls initially and SXM is not listed. What works for me after power has been disconnected completely is

1. Plug in radio
2. Turn on truck
3. Turn off truck
4. Open and close driver door with keys removed.
5. Wait for all dash lights to go completely out.
6. Turn on truck again
7. Turn off truck again
8. Let the truck sit for AT LEAST 4 hours
9. Turn on truck (SXM button should be there and HVAC controls should show Correctly).

Edit: to be clear mine shows ATC even though I have MTC but that eventually reads correctly after the aforementioned procedure.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to pile on here. I have a 2019 UAS installed in my 2014. It shows ATC controls initially and SXM is not listed. What works for me after power has been disconnected completely is

1. Plug in radio
2. Turn on truck
3. Turn off truck
6. Turn on truck again
7. Turn off truck again
9. Turn on truck (SXM button should be there and HVAC controls should show Correctly).

this is exactly what I'm getting this afternoon. how long has it been in your 2014?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
this is exactly what I'm getting this afternoon. how long has it been in your 2014?
About a month. I had to order a new screen and the Compass heading doesn't work when the UAS IS installed but other than that it's awesome...

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a month. I had to order a new screen and the Compass heading doesn't work when the UAS IS installed but other than that it's awesome...

Do you have heated/ vented seats?

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my 2019 UAS from a 1500 classic in. Disconnected battery, installed radio, reconnected battery. Radio works! Some bcm Settings are not present yet (heated seats won’t stay on?) but it’s been said that takes a while to populate everything into the radio. Truck will sit overnight and in the morning the settings should be normal or mostly normal. I did notice the clock show up before I shut the truck down. So that’s maybe a good sign as it wasn’t there at first? Maybe I didn’t notice it.

SXM button was not present yet either, which is normal.
I’ve done the single zone atc mod, and the heated vented seats mod. Hopefully everything will show up properly.

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just checked because I’m impatient.

everything works as expected.
-Single zone ATC works, no anomaly with the fan control going past 7, so I’m thinking blend control works as well. I’ll know in the early morning if the cabin warms up normally.

-Heated vented seats work, but doesn’t display. (Expected without the module from infotainment)

-SXM works and displays in the 7” cluster fully. The cluster is from a 2016

-compass does not display yet. Maybe tomorrow? I don’t know.

-backup camera is crystal clear, even in the dark? I thought I’d have to replace the camera?

-text messages sound like they’re yelling at me. Volume defaults to 15 when it reads them to me. I turn it down but it goes back to 15 for next text message. I’ll figure it out, I think.

-screen is crystal clear, super responsive.

Can’t test carplay or android auto. I don’t have the hub yet, harness arrived today though, thanks Deereguy and M2 mods for all the harnesses. They all work great.

Last edited:

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
image.jpg image.jpg I’m surprise it displays in the cluster correctly most of them work but several XM stations don’t show up correctly
You can see how mine reads

I could never get the Compass to show up in there anyway but if you use alpha you can set it so it shows up in your evic anyway

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll check the station titles again to be sure. I thought that was normal, so I wasn’t expecting anything. The evic shows the compass heading.

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My evic looks like yours. It looked like that with the 2014 RA4 also. I thought it would have dashes when it didn’t display correctly, I thought I read that somewhere. Compass doesn’t show on the radio, it does on the evic. Single zone auto temp control works fine, no new hvac module needed... so far.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just checked because I’m impatient.

everything works as expected.
-Single zone ATC works, no anomaly with the fan control going past 7, so I’m thinking blend control works as well. I’ll know in the early morning if the cabin warms up normally.

-Heated vented seats work, but doesn’t display. (Expected without the module from infotainment)

-SXM works and displays in the 7” cluster fully. The cluster is from a 2016

-compass does not display yet. Maybe tomorrow? I don’t know.

-backup camera is crystal clear, even in the dark? I thought I’d have to replace the camera?

-text messages sound like they’re yelling at me. Volume defaults to 15 when it reads them to me. I turn it down but it goes back to 15 for next text message. I’ll figure it out, I think.

-screen is crystal clear, super responsive.

Can’t test carplay or android auto. I don’t have the hub yet, harness arrived today though, thanks Deereguy and M2 mods for all the harnesses. They all work great.
The text message and other voice controls will automatically go back to full volume even if you'veturned them down. It's a glitch in the software on many of the 2019 UAS/UAQ radios. I'm pretty shur there is a firmware update that is supposed to correct it. My buddy's does the same thing and it's annoying.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yes, is this a bad thing?
No that's good... Adding the mics (& phone buttons) is more involved on the 18+ 4th gens.

For your 19 classic you need 7 speed conversion with ATC Temp and Humidity Sensor wiring. Plus correct 18 HVAC module, a 13-18 8.4 bezel and 18/19 classic Ram radio ....

18/19 RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ 4c Nav)
or 68331635AH (UAS 4c)

18 Premium USB Hub (Supports Apple vs stock one which is AA only)
PN: 68328704AC (RAM)

* 18 HVAC module (vs 13-17)

* 14-18 ram 1500's have a variable displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 7 speed fan)
>> 14-17's w/RAx = 68268186Ax HVAC module
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366552AA HVAC module (you'd get this one)

* 13-18 ram 2500/3500's (& 13 Ram1500) have a fixed displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 4 speed fan)
>> 14-17's w/RAx = 68105017Ax HVAC module (ie RA4 Radio)
>> 18/19's w/UAx = 68366553AA HVAC module (ie UAQ Radio)

& the current thinking is to match the HVAC module to the 8.4 radio year, but there are HVAC Blend/Temperature issues with the UAx radio upgrade that are typically fixed with the ATC Mod.

M² Mods.

autumnwalker

Reaction score

1. Plug in radio
2. Turn on truck
3. Turn off truck
6. Turn on truck again
7. Turn off truck again

Edit: to be clear mine shows ATC even though I have MTC but that eventually reads correctly after the aforementioned procedure.

Is this something you had to do regularly or was this a "one time thing"?

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
update to my 2019 UAS install in my 2014.

everything remained the same as in my above post, however.

-compass still does not display on the radio, no big deal. it's on the evic.

-I somehow managed to get the "auto-on-comfort" to stay. It wasn't staying on originally last night, so i turned off the setting. this morning, I forgot the seats weren't turning on by themselves, so i turned the seats on with the seat switch. when i arrived at work, I turned on auto-on- comfort to "all starts". an hour later, i checked and the seats came on by themselves when i started it. someone said earlier, that they leave the setting on all the time (bcm enabled?), but the setting didnt show on their radio. mine does now, and works.

date code on the radio is march 2019, and had a "22.5" sticker on it. 63131635AJ, panasonic.

how do you check the software revision number on it? i can't find the setting like the RA4 had.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is this something you had to do regularly or was this a "one time thing"?
LOL...no this is just if you unplug the radio from the truck and/or somehow remove power from it.

On the flip side, you could just install it, make sure it works and walk away. Eventually everything will show up.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
update to my 2019 UAS install in my 2014.

everything remained the same as in my above post, however.

-compass still does not display on the radio, no big deal. it's on the evic.

-I somehow managed to get the "auto-on-comfort" to stay. It wasn't staying on originally last night, so i turned off the setting. this morning, I forgot the seats weren't turning on by themselves, so i turned the seats on with the seat switch. when i arrived at work, I turned on auto-on- comfort to "all starts". an hour later, i checked and the seats came on by themselves when i started it. someone said earlier, that they leave the setting on all the time (bcm enabled?), but the setting didnt show on their radio. mine does now, and works.

date code on the radio is march 2019, and had a "22.5" sticker on it. 63131635AJ, panasonic.

how do you check the software revision number on it? i can't find the setting like the RA4 had.
Holding HVAC temperature control "up" + "down" AND the defrost button for about 3-5 seconds will bring up the dealer menu...

As far as I know, your compass heading will never work on the radio itself outside of whatever CarPlay and Android Auto shows. It's good to know that it shows in your EVIC. So your truck is a 2014 that came with the 7" cluster right?