How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
91b91b06dd8512658e211193b57c5d22.jpg

It’s almost to the bottom of the options for cabin equalization curve number.

Try the standard cab 6 speaker base DS. You can always try the quad and crew if that option doesn’t work. Just stay with the options that say DS

The standard cab premium alpine 8 ch is another good option to try.

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

I’m adding the 12 channel alpine amp to my standard cab which came with the Alpine 8 channel amp. When I pull down “ECU configuration 3- cabin equalization curve number”, I am not getting a drop-down menu like is showing above . There is merely a box to enter a number into. Is there something that needs to be done to activate the drop-down menu? Thank you

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m adding the 12 channel alpine amp to my standard cab which came with the Alpine 8 channel amp. When I pull down “ECU configuration 3- cabin equalization curve number”, I am not getting a drop-down menu like is showing above . There is merely a box to enter a number into. Is there something that needs to be done to activate the drop-down menu? Thank you
One of the updates took it out. It still works on the windows version. He’s supposed to be fixing it on the next update. In the meantime, you could use the first version APK in the previous versions list in post 1 of the AlfaOBD thread.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, great information. Thought I was doing something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael Snyder

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l V6 flex fuel
For the 2018 model year RAMS, the 8.4 Radios were changed from the previous VP3/VP4 Harman radios to the 4C/4C-Nav radios made by Panasonic. The biggest advantage of these new 4C Radios is the support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The radios themselves fit the same mount as 2013-2017 RAMS and the radios require no special programming to work. They read the BCM of the truck just like the VP3s/VP4s. However there are some known issues and components that need to be changed to make it work 100%.

Thanks to MPGRIMM2, RICKS RAM, 00R/T, and STDECO for volunteering to test these radios in their trucks. As a result, we have had them working in a 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 trucks. We have tested seats, backup cameras, cargo cameras, android auto, apple car play, and most of the radio's standard functionality in these models.

WtHKo46.jpg

There are two distinct versions of the radio. The 4C (Sales Code: UAS) and the 4C-Nav (Sales Code: UAQ). The only difference between the radios is that the UAS does not have built in navigation and the UAQ does. Both units support CarPlay and Android Auto. However, unlike the previous VP3 radios, Built in navigation cannot be purchased and added to the 4C radio.

Components Needed

RADIO: 68331631AH (UAQ) or 68331635AH (UAS)
MEDIA HUB: 68328704AC (RAM) or 5XG28DX9AC (Compass)
MEDIA HUB CONVERSION HARNESS

RADIO
It is important that you get a radio that has the correct mount as the mount is now forged as part of the radio housing. Even though a radio out of an 18 Charger/300/Durango/etc will technically function the same as the RAM radio, the mount will not fit the RAM. Can these radios be modified to fit in a RAM.. Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it. I broke a screen trying to transplant a UAQ radio into an existing VP4 mount.

It is also important that you get a MY18 radio. All MY18 radio part numbers start with 683.... The RAM themes are only available on MY18 year radios and the firmware must be at least version 18. There is a round colored dot on the top of each radio that has a number in it that reflects the firmware version that the radio had on it when it shipped from the factory. Anything less than 18.7 may have functional problems. It is possible to upgrade radios with older versions of software (I have upgraded to 18.14 all the way from 15.5 on one radio) but I also had one fail the upgrade process. Be wary of "AA" revision radios as they are really a crapshoot of what you are actually going to get.

As of now the radio can be purchased brand new from FCA. The cost is around $1200 for the UAQ, and about $100 for the hub.

8TlCa7D.jpg

4BAkjBa.jpg

MEDIA HUB

The media hubs in pre 2018 RAMs will not work with the 2018 Radios. Unfortunately RAM changed the form factor of the media hub in the 2018 RAM Trucks. The 2018 hubs are oblong in shape compared to the square 2013 - 2017 hubs. The closest compatible hub that will fit the existing opening is the compass hub. It is not an exact fit, but it generally fits. Changing the hub in a center console truck is easier than changing it in a jumpseat equipped truck.

2018 RAM HUB

Zgu4bUn.jpg

gTDoBTE.jpg

The connector on the rear of the media hub is also different, so a conversion harness will need to be built to adapt the current 6 pin connector to the 8 pin on the new hubs.

Zimivm9.jpg

D8msyLr.jpg

So I have a Gen 4 2019 Classic with the smallest Uconnect radio known to man, will the radio and console you listed work in my truck, I already have the media hub, just want a bigger radio. and what else would I need to add the nav part

2019 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman Front Interior Picture.jpg

Capture.JPG

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Will find out soon enough about my back up camera issue I have done it I swapped in a 2018 BCM into my 2014
The only things that need attention is the ABS light is on and the speedometer is not working I’m assuming it just needs the tire size
Adjusted and ABS initialized
I’ve got a couple of light out scenarios where it had LED bulbs but that’s a simple fix
It hasn’t had time for the radio to update but once it does will know if we have a back up camera or not

100% I know the BCM was removed from a G 56 truck with a UAq

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I’m going to downgrade back to a ra3
It appears the only way I can get a back up camera to work reliably
I don’t use the Apple CarPlay very much

so my question is I have a 2014
Should I get a radio out of a 15 or 16 or 17 I am definitely going to get one out of a ram
I had one out of a jeep at one point and it just wasn’t right

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So I’m going to downgrade back to a ra3
It appears the only way I can get a back up camera to work reliably
I don’t use the Apple CarPlay very much

so my question is I have a 2014
Should I get a radio out of a 15 or 16 or 17 I am definitely going to get one out of a ram
I had one out of a jeep at one point and it just wasn’t right
Do you have a cargo cam and backup cam?

If so you need a 16+ RAx radio to support both... and I would strongly recommend a 17 RAM RA4/VP4-NA (68270661Ax AE AF AG AH, erc) to have the least possiblity of any issues (vs a 16).

If a cargo cam isn't an issue than any 13-17 RAx should work but I would never recommend a 2016 RAx radio in any 13-14 truck due to issues myself and others had with them (I tried 3 in my 13 ram and none worked correctly). 15+ trucks seemed to be ok with any 13-17 RAx.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I don’t have a cargo camera
The only thing I want to make sure that it has is the button to turn on the camera manually
So my only other question is when the software wire is updated on a 15 Does it get that ability

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t have a cargo camera
The only thing I want to make sure that it has is the button to turn on the camera manually
So my only other question is when the software wire is updated on a 15 Does it get that ability
The radio reads the BCM and that's how it sees the (trailer hitch camera) option and the soft key comes up on the screen to manually turn on the camera. You don't have the option in your 2014 BCM so you won't have the trailer hitch camera no matter what radio you install. It wasn't available until 2016. You will still have the backup camera but only when the truck is in reverse. I have a 2016 radio in my 2014 and it works fine. There used to be issues with the 16 radios not working well in the 13 and 14 trucks but that has been eliminated with the newer firmware they all take now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm having a weird issue on my 2016 2500. I installed a UAS radio out of a 2018 3500. Everything works fine but the themes and closing splash screen are Chrysler. If I look at the 'Vehicle Brand' with the AutoEnginuity software, it shows Chrysler. Although dangerous, I changed it to Ram. That worked but then the HVAC changed itself to MTC. I changed it to ATC plus Dual zone and it changed itself to back Chrysler. I thought my BCM was jacked, so I had it flashed at the dealer but the issue remains. Any ideas?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm having a weird issue on my 2016 2500. I installed a UAS radio out of a 2018 3500. Everything works fine but the themes and closing splash screen are Chrysler. If I look at the 'Vehicle Brand' with the AutoEnginuity software, it shows Chrysler. Although dangerous, I changed it to Ram. That worked but then the HVAC changed itself to MTC. I changed it to ATC plus Dual zone and it changed itself to back Chrysler. I thought my BCM was jacked, so I had it flashed at the dealer but the issue remains. Any ideas?
In the ATC thread, that seems to be the issue with using AE to activate the ATC- losing the ram theme on the radio. Seems like you’re in a “one or the other” situation. Do you have AlfaOBD to try it with, instead? You shouldn’t have to change any theme or brand settings, but once you get dual zone ATC set, it’ll take your radio about a day, and a few drive cycles to reflect everything correctly.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The radio reads the BCM and that's how it sees the (trailer hitch camera) option and the soft key comes up on the screen to manually turn on the camera. You don't have the option in your 2014 BCM so you won't have the trailer hitch camera no matter what radio you install. It wasn't available until 2016. You will still have the backup camera but only when the truck is in reverse. I have a 2016 radio in my 2014 and it works fine. There used to be issues with the 16 radios not working well in the 13 and 14 trucks but that has been eliminated with the newer firmware they all take now.

My current UAs as the button for back up camera
Which actually functions

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The radio should read the BCM and show the Ram theme after several key cycles. It usually goes to the generic Uconnect screen when its first installed. Did your truck come with the Auto Temp Control or did you add it with the Auto Engenuity tool prior to installing the radio and had you used the AE tool for any other changes? The AE tool will change your BCM to Chrysler when you change certain things in the BCM. We all had it change our BCM's to Chrysler when we added the ATC and it sounds like that's what it did with yours. It's not a stable tool and I don't reccomend using it. Several of us messed our trucks up and had to have them flashed by the dealer to start over. Your vehicle brand should say Ram. I reccomend getting the Alfa tool if your planning on making anymore changes. After the dealer flashed the BCM back to stock it should be showing the Ram themes so I'm not really sure what would cause it to still be showing Chrysler. I actually had to have mine flashed twice to get everything back to normal after using the AE tool.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
In the ATC thread, that seems to be the issue with using AE to activate the ATC- losing the ram theme on the radio. Seems like you’re in a “one or the other” situation. Do you have AlfaOBD to try it with, instead? You shouldn’t have to change any theme or brand settings, but once you get dual zone ATC set, it’ll take your radio about a day, and a few drive cycles to reflect everything correctly.

Actually I didn't use AE to set Dual zone ATC because my truck always had it. It works and continues to work. I do have Alfa so do I need to 'activate' Dual zone ATC to make the Chrysler stuff go away? I'm happy to post in the other thread if needed.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Actually I didn't use AE to set Dual zone ATC because my truck always had it. It works and continues to work. I do have Alfa so do I need to 'activate' Dual zone ATC to make the Chrysler stuff go away? I'm happy to post in the other thread if needed.
In that case, you shouldn’t need to do anything. My UAQ came out of a 2020 gladiator, and it took about a day for all the settings to settle in, and for the screen to change from Jeep to Ram. I never changed any themes from what they originally were in the BCM. But I did add dual zone ATC from originally having MTC.