How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Skb...
I haven't seen a full reset method that would prompt for a code without moving it to another truck

M² Mods.
I don't think there is honestly (just a shot in the dark). I was just hoping because the only other case of this compass issue I found was @cptwing and he said the compass heading disappeared immediately after entering the unlock code.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Seth Zubay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I’m pretty sure this question has been answered in this forum somewhere; however I can’t find it anymore. Doesn’t anyone know if it’s possible to get the back up camera button a 2015 or lower Ram 1500 after a UAS/UAQ upgrade? Or will the BCM have to be upgraded to one out of a 2018?

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m pretty sure this question has been answered in this forum somewhere; however I can’t find it anymore. Doesn’t anyone know if it’s possible to get the back up camera button a 2015 or lower Ram 1500 after a UAS/UAQ upgrade? Or will the BCM have to be upgraded to one out of a 2018?

I have a 2014 with a UAQ and I have the backup camera button.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any chance you can dump your BCM config via AlfaOBD?
Disregard my last, here is what you need I believe...

Rear View Camera:

Rear View Camera
Rear Camera Present
Rear Camera CSM
Rear View Camera Delay CSM
Trailer Hitch Camera
Rear View Camera Dynamic Gridlines Enabled - Or - Static Gridlines Enabled

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I modeled up a 3d printer file for the AUX + USB + Extra USB hub to use when cutting out the opening in center console trucks. If anyone is interested, there are 2 variations, 1 with a logo and 1 without.

I put it on thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4146837

the fitment is "ok", it might need to be trimmed a tiny bit on the inside. I'll update this post when the weather gets nicer and I can fiddle with variations on it so it's a better fit.

USB Adapters.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I modeled up a 3d printer file for the AUX + USB + Extra USB hub to use when cutting out the opening in center console trucks. If anyone is interested, there are 2 variations, 1 with a logo and 1 without.

I put it on thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4146837

the fitment is "ok", it might need to be trimmed a tiny bit on the inside. I'll update this post when the weather gets nicer and I can fiddle with variations on it so it's a better fit.

View attachment 194360
Good looking out. This will help a lot of folks...

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good looking out. This will help a lot of folks...

they've all helped me out, glad I could do something in return. For every mod, everyone who tried and got it to work, and even those that found out what not to do the hard way!

Wolfpup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think there is honestly (just a shot in the dark). I was just hoping because the only other case of this compass issue I found was @cptwing and he said the compass heading disappeared immediately after entering the unlock code.

maybe the compass module is not communicating properly with the UAS so it doesn't display when that radio is installed? maybe a newer one would work?

just brainstorming.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
maybe the compass module is not communicating properly with the UAS so it doesn't display when that radio is installed? maybe a newer one would work?

just brainstorming.
I thought that too. Apparently they stopped revising the compass modules early on. The revisions stopped a long time ago as far as I can see and I have the latest (AB if memory serves).

I tried two Compass modules, one with Homelink and one without. Same results.

I can get the compass heading to work and the radio can be installed but I have to connect power to the radio while the truck is running. Then everything will work until the first power cycle.

I'm told there are compass settings in the radio and/or EVIC but these customer settings don't show up for me in either place.

Seth Zubay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Disregard my last, here is what you need I believe...

Rear View Camera:

Rear View Camera
Rear Camera Present
Rear Camera CSM
Rear View Camera Delay CSM
Trailer Hitch Camera
Rear View Camera Dynamic Gridlines Enabled - Or - Static Gridlines Enabled

I appreciate you posting this, I had everything enable; however for some reason the 2015 model BCM does not have the Trailer Hitch Camera option in Alfaobd. I was able to get a button by activating the cargo cam and just switching from the cargo cam to back up cam with the toggle on the screen during that time. However, do to it being a bit inconvent compared to just put the truck in reverse, I am most likely going to disable it again. If anyone has any insight on how to get strictly the back up camera, I’d greatly appreciate it. I am looking into it more myself and will let everyone know if I find something.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I appreciate you posting this, I had everything enable; however for some reason the 2015 model BCM does not have the Trailer Hitch Camera option in Alfaobd. I was able to get a button by activating the cargo cam and just switching from the cargo cam to back up cam with the toggle on the screen during that time. However, do to it being a bit inconvent compared to just put the truck in reverse, I am most likely going to disable it again. If anyone has any insight on how to get strictly the back up camera, I’d greatly appreciate it. I am looking into it more myself and will let everyone know if I find something.
I'm not sure what your final goal is? Can you explain it a little more?

Seth Zubay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I'm not sure what your final goal is? Can you explain it a little more?

My final goal was to get the soft key in the control section of the radio to toggle the back up camera. However, I got it to work with the cargo camera soft key, but now that’ve used it more once it’s been activated, it for some odd reason keep cutting out and going back to the control screen. I have to look into it more for that option since the straight back up camera soft key isn’t available for my 2015 somehow. (No trailer hitch camera option in Alfaobd for 2015 body module)

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My final goal was to get the soft key in the control section of the radio to toggle the back up camera. However, I got it to work with the cargo camera soft key, but now that’ve used it more once it’s been activated, it for some odd reason keep cutting out and going back to the control screen. I have to look into it more for that option since the straight back up camera soft key isn’t available for my 2015 somehow. (No trailer hitch camera option in Alfaobd for 2015 body module)
I see. I believe that feature is only possible with 2016+ radios.

Seth Zubay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel

I did upgrade to a 2018 UAQ radio out of a Ram 1500. I am going to check the settings when I get off work. However, going from a different forum the “Trailer Hitch Camera” setting is not available on the 2015 BCM, and that is what needs to be activated for the soft key Reverse Camera, I will have to check all the Cargo Camera settings to make sure they are all one, to hopefully fix the cutting out. Unless anyone knows how to get the “Trailer Hitch Camera” setting on the 2015 BCM.

ss12108

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed

I might be misunderstanding, but I believe my 2013 has the soft key backup camera button on the UAS radio I installed. I'll double-check when I leave the office tonight.

If there's anything I can do to assist figuring this out let me know.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I might be misunderstanding, but I believe my 2013 has the soft key backup camera button on the UAS radio I installed. I'll double-check when I leave the office tonight.

If there's anything I can do to assist figuring this out let me know.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
A UAS Radio is a 2016+ radio (more specifically a 2018-2019 Classic radio)...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did upgrade to a 2018 UAQ radio out of a Ram 1500. I am going to check the settings when I get off work. However, going from a different forum the “Trailer Hitch Camera” setting is not available on the 2015 BCM, and that is what needs to be activated for the soft key Reverse Camera, I will have to check all the Cargo Camera settings to make sure they are all one, to hopefully fix the cutting out. Unless anyone knows how to get the “Trailer Hitch Camera” setting on the 2015 BCM.
If you just want and additional input you'll need to activate

VehConfig 1 - CHMSL Camera
CBC Features - LED CHMSL Lamp Present

This will give you the Cargo Camera button.

@Mpgrimm2 sells a harness for $20 that you can then use to plug in any RCA camera you choose and have it accessible by pressing the cargo camera button.

Does that answer your question?