How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
This is the part number off a UConnect 8.4'' in a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic. (Canada Truck).

68461704AB
Is that confirmed off your own personal 2020 Classic Canadian truck?

2018-20 classic uCq pn I have is 68331632Ax

M² Mods.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Per AllMoparParts (Benny) the build sheet/vin for..
2020 Ram 1500 Classic
(USA market to FL/Hertz rental )
VIN: 1C6RR6TT7LS134378
4c Nav UAQ PN: 68331631Ax

Build sheet shows 4c Nav
https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6RR6TT7LS134378.

vs what salvage yard sent....
2020 classic Ram 4c UAQ: 68461699AB ??
Edit: running Cherokee/compass application version JR 30.24.x

That was confirmed from a 2020 Ram Classic Truck that I just about bought the radio off of.
Got a vin to pull the build sheet (market)/& check PN info?

Dwhutch's 4c Nav with that PN came from a USA/FL market truck (rental)

M² Mods.

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a VIN unfortunately.
But I did see them pull it from the truck and I have a photo of the part number.
I backed off on the deal because the part number was funny to me.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I recently installed the Customtronix Enzo into my truck that I have an 18' UAQ 8.4 Ram radio retrofitted in to. I have installed the keypad and rebooted the radio 4+ times after enabling dip switches 1,2,7, & 8. The radio reboot works when holding the #1 button on the keypad but when pressing any of the keypad buttons to display cameras the front camera screen does not display and the factory installed reverse camera does not work when pressing button 4. I do not yet have a front camera installed. However I have the factory installed backup camera and cargo camera. Do anyone have any idea what I may be experiencing or how to resolve the issue? Also, since my truck came with the cargo camera from the factory does the cargo camera dip switch need to be set to the on position or should I leave it off? I'm also wondering if the park pro will work and if the front camera will automatically come on when shifted into gear because my truck has a factory manual transmission instead of the more common automatic. I've sent Magnus an email and sent a detailed question on their contact section on their website. There is a before & after picture of the harness from me cleaning it up by wrapping it on Tesa tape to help make it look more factory. I would appreciate any input. Also used HD velcro to mount the dip switch box under the radio along with the video & aux inputs to avoid having to remove the radio for future cameras added or multimedia. b8fa1960065c615f9104fe6637389332.jpg270aaa421b21cde9b27dd000cb0ff686.jpg24322bb2063e7796676a1f030718a79a.jpg

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT CTT tuning, UAQ, Single Zone ATC

Ssampson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unfortunately, you do need access to both CAN lines. The reverse switch signal comes in over CAN-C but the messages to display the backup camera are spit out over CAN-IHS.

I swapped the larger display into my truck a few months ago and am experiencing the same issue. No reverse cam when swapping to reverse with my truck. (g56). I read through the posts and it sounds like you've made great progress here. Any updates on how it is going?

Ssampson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Being that you have a 13 you’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place do you need a 16 or newer cluster for the song title to show up correctly but if you run any year different then a 2013 you’ll have problems with your tpms
That’s why I simply turn it off on 13s

I also swapped a premium cluster into my truck. The song titles read fine except for a handful of Sirius station won't change while I'm cycling through the channels. Is that what you were mentioning? I also do not have TPMS and would like to look into enabling it somehow. Is this something that can be done? I've not seen any info on this in my searching.. Had the cluster for over a year now.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Second UCQ 4C arrived from salvage yard, sigh... this one is missing the Fakra B white plastic locking socket and 2 scratches in the screen. I was able to call the dealer and get unlock code and everything came up ok.
Anywhere I can source the Fakra B plastic locking socket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Second UCQ 4C arrived from salvage yard, sigh... this one is missing the Fakra B white plastic locking socket and 2 scratches in the screen. I was able to call the dealer and get unlock code and everything came up ok.

See this post in the DiY 8.4 upgrade thread for a pigtail adapter you can use to make the connection (can't get the clips on their own).

M² Mods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

How bad are the scratches?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How bad are the scratches?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Pretty deep, I can definitely feel the divots.
Also this is the second 4C screen I get and both showed greyish wear patterns although they don’t show up when powered on.
My old 4RA does not have any wear marks after 3 years.

5a967f836694616c3971939dc7bf1f68.jpg

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Does anyone know if the media hub out of a 19-21 will work with the 4th gen 8.4? I've been looking at them and they seem to have the same plug ins on the hub. Was wondering if that would be a viable way to get the USB-c as well. Worst case scenario I'll pick one up and give it a shot lol

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Does anyone know if the media hub out of a 19-21 will work with the 4th gen 8.4? I've been looking at them and they seem to have the same plug ins on the hub. Was wondering if that would be a viable way to get the USB-c as well. Worst case scenario I'll pick one up and give it a shot lol
I believe someone tried it already earlier this thread and it worked.

Trade off is that it doesn't come with any front face/mounting flange whatsoever and they had to 3d print a housing to hold it. Looks back through the thread (last 6mos, maybe 5-10 pages) and I'm sure you will find the pictures.

M² Mods.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I bought the dual USB-c hub when I installed my 2018 radio since I got it much cheaper and all my devices are USB-c. I 3d printed an adapter for it since it didn't have a face. It works great. I just needed the cable from M2 Mods to install it.

I got the radio cheap from a salvage yard and the screen did look pretty bad like it had been cleaned with some chemical. I was able to carefully remove the factory screen protector using information from this thread (heat gun, razer blade, and aircraft residue cleaner). The glass screen below the protector looked like new. I put a new screen protector on the glass.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I bought the dual USB-c hub when I installed my 2018 radio since I got it much cheaper and all my devices are USB-c. I 3d printed an adapter for it since it didn't have a face. It works great. I just needed the cable from M2 Mods to install it.

I got the radio cheap from a salvage yard and the screen did look pretty bad like it had been cleaned with some chemical. I was able to carefully remove the factory screen protector using information from this thread (heat gun, razer blade, and aircraft residue cleaner). The glass screen below the protector looked like new. I put a new screen protector on the glass.

Thank you @Mpgrimm2 and @deathbyburito for the information! I've been looking at it for a few weeks thinking "that really looks like it would work" lol

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Update: After sending Magnus @ Customtronix an email I was able to get some information on the issues I'm experiencing. He stated that it will not work because the canbus message is different for auto vs manual. I was informed that they don´t trigger on manual. He also stated that the keypad (used for manually & quickly viewing video inputs) will not work with a manual transmission as the back button triggers differently than the keypad. It's unfortunate that the keypad doesn't work as I could live with the front camera not automatically engaging when the corresponding dip switch for park pro is set to the on position. Due to my truck being a G56 and having the factory installed cargo & reverse cameras I have to cycle through the media inputs with either the back button or mute button on the radio bezel. The navigation address in motion lockout disabled feature still works correctly which is also nice. So until I find a way to easily view my front camera with me not being able to use my cargo camera input on the radio I will have to deal with utilizing the back and or mute buttons on the radio to view my front camera.

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I have installed my UAS radio about a year ago thanks to help from this forum and am hoping to find some more help. I got in my truck today and had no radio, no screen, no audio or anything from the radio. It seems like it just suddenly died. It was working like normal yesterday and now nothing. Has anyone had anything like this happen? Or have any suggestions on how I can fix it? Thanks

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Pull/check the fuse near the brake booster for a few minutes. I had that happen to me, pulling the fuse for a minute solved my issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply. Can you be more specific on where this fuse is. I’m looking at the break booster under the hood and there is a rectangle box with 7 fuses in it that are either PTC Heater or Glow Plug Mod