How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright so I’ve been looking through the thread and read at least 50% of it. I think I’ve figured out what all I need to do the swap; I’ve ordered the hub, conversion harness, harness to get the soft keys working for heated/cooled seated and heated steering wheel from infotainment but I still need to find the radio.
I’ve got a 2014 2500 that came with the RA4 and 7 speed ATC...would I need anything else or am I just missing the radio?

@Mpgrimm2 Has anyone considered/tried swapping the heated seat module to a 2015+ for the 2014 trucks doing the conversion? The wiring between the modules is the same so they should plug right in and the modules are $70 new instead of the $170 for the conversion harness.

FYI the 2016 HSM part number is 68217268AF.

EDIT: If there is some interest, I can throw a 2014 HSM into my truck to see if I lose the heated seat controls on the UAQ. This would be a much cheaper alternative than the conversion harness since you can get the HSMs used for $40-50.

Last edited:

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
EDIT: If there is some interest, I can throw a 2014 HSM into my truck to see if I lose the heated seat controls on the UAQ. [/SIZE]

I appreciate it but I’ve already bought the conversion harness and I feel like they would’ve already thought of swapping in a 15+ HSM. I wouldn’t have even worried about getting the harness but my truck came with aux buttons instead so I have no hard keys.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate it but I’ve already bought the conversion harness and I feel like they would’ve already thought of swapping in a 15+ HSM. I wouldn’t have even worried about getting the harness but my truck came with aux buttons instead so I have no hard keys.

Either way I can check it today. If it works, then you can try to return the harness. I would not be surprised if they didn't consider that option. There are some wiring differences between years so that may be more messing around that they want to do.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@Mpgrimm2 Has anyone considered/tried swapping the heated seat module to a 2015+ for the 2014 trucks doing the conversion? The wiring between the modules is the same so they should plug right in and the modules are $70 new instead of the $170 for the conversion harness.

FYI the 2016 HSM part number is 68217268AF.

EDIT: If there is some interest, I can throw a 2014 HSM into my truck to see if I lose the heated seat controls on the UAQ. This would be a much cheaper alternative than the conversion harness since you can get the HSMs used for $40-50.

Great idea.
Roman... Is the 2018 Heated Seat Module the same PN for 2016-18/19 classic?

M² Mods.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure off hand but the GCs switched the cooled seat control in 2017ish where the vent fans had constant hot and the HSM only switched the negative side.

Not sure if the RAMs did the same thing but the 2014 GC and 2013/14 Rams have the same HSM. I have a 2014 GC at home that I can pull the HSM out of or toss the UAQ into to check.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I ended up finding a UAS radio out of an ‘18 2500 on car-part.com for an amazing price but the guy said another customer had bought it and returned it because they couldn’t seem to unlock it. I feel like they just had issues with the unlock code and gave up. The screen also shows heavy wear but I’m thinking it’s just the factory screen protector and if need be, I can invest in the Brotect screen protector.

So do I need anything more for the swap than what I’ve previously stated?
c2d1e1c5645d49e70bba3c291da7881a.jpg

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I ended up finding a UAS radio out of an ‘18 2500 on car-part.com for an amazing price but the guy said another customer had bought it and returned it because they couldn’t seem to unlock it. I feel like they just had issues with the unlock code and gave up. The screen also shows heavy wear but I’m thinking it’s just the factory screen protector and if need be, I can invest in the Brotect screen protector.

What is the part number on the tag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s 68331635AD

Can’t help with what else is required but for sure all the 2018 screens I’ve seen show weird wear patterns that are not as noticeable when powered on. On one of them there were scratches in the OEM protector so I peeled it and installed a screen protector Brotect.

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can’t help with what else is required but for sure all the 2018 screens I’ve seen show weird wear patterns that are not as noticeable when powered on. On one of them there were scratches in the OEM protector so I peeled it and installed a screen protector Brotect.

I felt the same way about it not showing up once it was on. I was going to see how it looked first before I tried replacing it with the Brotect screen protector. In that photo, it looks the worst because of the angle.

Here it is from about the angle I would be looking at it. c21348ac3d9d127a61ba29fe65ba12da.jpg

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0

Where is the junkyard you’re getting it from? I had one about a year ago that looked like that and it wouldn’t update so I sent it back. It was stuck on one screen and wouldn’t complete the update or do anything at all.

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Where is the junkyard you’re getting it from? I had one about a year ago that looked like that and it wouldn’t update so I sent it back. It was stuck on one screen and wouldn’t complete the update or do anything at all.

Says they’re out of Berrien Springs, Michigan. August Pohl Auto Parts

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Says they’re out of Berrien Springs, Michigan. August Pohl Auto Parts

I found my email from where I went it back and it was to a Diamond Auto Parts. I’m pretty sure it was in Wisconsin. Just wanted to check to make sure you didn’t end up with that one I had. I know they kept posting it on car-part and were trying to sell it still.

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I found my email from where I went it back and it was to a Diamond Auto Parts. I’m pretty sure it was in Wisconsin. Just wanted to check to make sure you didn’t end up with that one I had. I know they kept posting it on car-part and were trying to sell it still.

Thanks man, I appreciate you looking out. Luckily he said they would take it back without a restocking fee if I couldn’t get it working, just have to pay shipping. For $375 shipped I couldn’t pass it up though.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

It was Wisconsin...
Thanks man, I appreciate you looking out. Luckily he said they would take it back without a restocking fee if I couldn’t get it working, just have to pay shipping. For $375 shipped I couldn’t pass it up though.
I think someone on this forum may have had that radio recently. I think I remember a conversation about it here maybe?

I would try to put the bro-tect screen directly over that worn screen if it's not delaminating. The bro-tect is an amazing buy. It's almost like the oil from your hands finds that your fingers are more sticky then the screen so it just stays put. I've never come across a matte (see through) material quite like it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great idea.
Roman... Is the 2018 Heated Seat Module the same PN for 2016-18/19 classic?

M² Mods.

@Cmacks88 Can you check the part number of your HSM? It is under the drivers seat at the front left corner. If you slide the seat all the way forward, you will be able to read the label. If you have a 68217268xx it should work without the conversion harness.

I checked the HSM out of a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit in my truck but since it was produced in the second half of the MY14 run, it got things like auto collision braking and cross path detection for the blind spot sensors. As part of that it seems like it got it the newer HSM as well. The HSM part number is 68217268AA and it is confirmed to work with the UAQ. The 2014GCs fall into the same bucket as the RAMs as far as having HSM buttons not populating on UAQ retrofits.

The HSM in my 2015 Laramie is 68217268AB. So it is a newer revision of the same module as the 2014 GC Summit HSM I tested in my truck.

I think the HSM upgrade would work instead of buying the conversion harness and even when buying a new HSM it is still $100 cheaper.

EDIT1: I think I have one more HSM in the house that I can try to see if it works. I can also mail it to someone if they want to test it in their 2013/2014 retrofitted truck to see if it responds properly.

EDIT2: NVM it's a 2017GC HSM that has different vented seat wiring. I will toss into the truck to see if it works with the UAQ(it should). If it checks out for the heated seats and wheel, I can mail it to someone if they want to test it in their '13/'14 UAQ swapped truck. Good chance that it won't work as it looks for an Auto Start / Stop signal and without it, it does not turn the on the heating elements or vents. I will test it though.

EDIT3: The wiring for the 2015 HSM that works with the UAQ radio matches up on the wiring and connections for 2013 and 2014 trucks so it would be a direct swap with no extra modules.

EDIT4: Looking at the part numbers, 68217268AF supersedes the 680x HSMs found in 2013 and 2014 RAMs and the 2014/15 GCs. So now I am about 99% sure a HSM swap would work instead of buying conversion module from Infotainment. It pretty well covers all the gen 4 1500/2500/3500 and the 19/20 classic.

Last edited:

Cmacks88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Cmacks88 Can you check the part number of your HSM? It is under the drivers seat at the front left corner. If you slide the seat all the way forward, you will be able to read the label. If you have a 68217268xx it should work without the conversion harness.

I checked the HSM out of a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit in my truck but since it was produced in the second half of the MY14 run, it got things like auto collision braking and cross path detection for the blind spot sensors. As part of that it seems like it got it the newer HSM as well. The HSM part number is 68217268AA and it is confirmed to work with the UAQ. The 2014GCs fall into the same bucket as the RAMs as far as having HSM buttons not populating on UAQ retrofits.

The HSM in my 2015 Laramie is 68217268AB. So it is a newer revision of the same module as the 2014 GC Summit HSM I tested in my truck.

I think the HSM upgrade would work instead of buying the conversion harness and even when buying a new HSM it is still $100 cheaper.

EDIT1: I think I have one more HSM in the house that I can try to see if it works. I can also mail it to someone if they want to test it in their 2013/2014 retrofitted truck to see if it responds properly.

EDIT2: NVM it's a 2017GC HSM that has different vented seat wiring. I will toss into the truck to see if it works with the UAQ(it should). If it checks out for the heated seats and wheel, I can mail it to someone if they want to test it in their '13/'14 UAQ swapped truck.

EDIT3: The wiring for the 2015 HSM that works with the UAQ radio matches up on the wiring and connections for 2013 and 2014 trucks so it would be a direct swap with no extra modules.

Unfortunately I can’t check right now because I’m not home and I won’t be until the 23rd (disadvantages of my job). If no one else can check for you by that time then I will definitely look at it for you.

Come to think of it, I actually might be better off swapping the HSM because they have kinda been acting funny lately and I could kill 2 birds with one stone

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unfortunately, you do need access to both CAN lines. The reverse switch signal comes in over CAN-C but the messages to display the backup camera are spit out over CAN-IHS.
I'm glad have knowledge on this since it seems fairly difficult to remedy. I love my UAQ but, the reverse camera not automatically showing in my G56 is driving me to want to swap back to a RA4. Have you been able to find a permanent fix for this issue?

16' CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC