How to: V6 Efan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because I had to go to the dealer to have the clutch fan removed, the job only took me about 15-ish minutes to do. I am going to lay the steps out as if I removed the clutch fan myself so that way there is a whole sequence to follow and it should all go fairly easy.

Tools required for this job is a rechet, 13mm socket, screwdriver, and your hands.

Only part you need to order is the fan itself which can be bought from Amazon for a good cheap price here

Step 1: Remove lower fan shroud clip.

Referring to the picture below, I did not take a picture of the lower shroud inside the truck so here's one of it already separated outside of the truck. To take this piece off all you need to do is push the two grooved tabs on the center piece into the shroud with your thumbs and with your index fingers, pull the two off to the side down and pull the piece towards the back of the the truck and up towards the fan a bit. Once all 4 of the tabs are clear, pull down on the lower piece and it'll come right off.

IMG_0635.jpg
IMG_0636.jpg

Step 2: Remove the Clutch fan.

If you can remove the fan yourself, remember it is reverse threaded so it's lefty tighty, righty loosey. As stated, I went to the dealership to have it removed but I know most people that have access to a air tool and a chisel tap it a couple times and it'll break loose easy. Some other I guess have some good luck and can get it off with some good ol elbow grease.

This is what it'll look like without a fan
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0614.jpg

Step 3: Separate plastic sheet from bottom of shroud

While you're still under there, there is a sheet of plastic that goes from the forward part of the radiator to the forward part of the shroud, not sure what to call it but it's very simple to separate. Just pull down on the 3 push pins that connect it to the shroud and let it hang.

Driver side
IMG_0619.jpg

Center and passenger side
IMG_0620.jpg

Step 4: Disconnect upper rad hose clamp from shroud

The clamp for the hose is held in by 2 push pins so just put a screwdriver under it and pop it up real fast.

IMG_0615.jpg

Step 5: Separate A/c fan plug from shroud

I do not have a picture of this on the shroud as the tech at the dealership never pushed this back on but oh well, he saved me a step, lol. But I'll use this one twice, the white pins on the side of the connecter go into the shroud's driver side, pull it out and let it hang.

IMG_0621.jpg

Step 6: Unbolt the shroud

Use a 13mm socket to remove the two bolts on either side of the shroud

IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg

Step 7: Remove shroud

Once those two bolts are out, start lifting the shroud on out of there. It's a little tricky because you'll be rotating that shroud in a couple different directions as you are pulling it out, it is a pita btw. Once you have the shroud out, you're engine bay will look like this

IMG_0622.jpg

Step 8: Disconnect a/c fan

push the lever on this plug and separate

IMG_0621.jpg

Step 9: Remove the A/c Fan

First, at the 6 and 12 o'clock position, there are 2 metal clips that hold the fan to the radiator, simply take a screwdriver and pry these clips off. No picture of the lower one as I forgot to take one.

IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0627.jpg

Second, There are two tabs on either side of the fan, push them forward and start lifting the fan out.

IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0626.jpg

You will need to wiggle that fan around a bit to get it out because it's a little odd shaped.

And finally Step 10, install the V6 EFan

Pretty much just kick it into reverse. Take you're time lowering the fan in as it's a little more clumsy than the shroud and a/c fan. Once lowered into position, put the lower mount arms into the bracket that the a/c fan sat in and the upper mount arms in the push tabs at the top. Reinstall the two bolts, upper rad hose clamp, connect the connector, and don't forget to slide back under there and reattach that skirt to the new shroud.

A pretty quick and easy job, took me about 15-ish minutes not including clutch fan but if you're able to remove it yourself, I don't see it taking more then 20-25 minutes.

It has come recommended too that if you do this conversion to go ahead and replace your stock t-stat with a 180 t-stat.

If you are a 2009-2011 Ram then you have the luxury of being able to reprogram your fan to come on at a different temperature with either a Superchips, Bullydog, or Diablo tuner. I do believe bullydog now has 2012's available but Superchips and diablo are still working. The stock setting for the fan is set to 225 but since I went ahead and replaced my t-stat with a 180 one, I lowered mine down to 195.

Now here's some extra pictures of everything

Old trash pieces
IMG_0628.jpg

A/C fan
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0638.jpg

The little tab that holds the clips on the A/C fan to the radiator
IMG_0641.jpg

And the final product

IMG_0629.jpg
IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0633.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg

Last edited:

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Great writeup! As far as the clutch fan goes, it took me a while, but I was able to remove it with a large cresent wrench and some elbow grease. Having air tools would have made it a LOT easier though.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Great writeup! As far as the clutch fan goes, it took me a while, but I was able to remove it with a large cresent wrench and some elbow grease. Having air tools would have made it a LOT easier though.

As soon as I get mine I might need your help bud

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yea, I went to autozone and got a wrench that's made for clutch fans and with a breaker bar attached to it, I couldn't get that thing to break loose. I didn't ask what the tech used at the dealer but he even said it was on there, lol.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nice write up!

I've been wanting a pair of those shoes for a while now. My daughter is supposed to get me a pair for Fathers day

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Haha, yea I saw that as I was uploading to photobucket and I knew someone would say something about it.

if he didn't i would have...lol

Nice write up too.

671offroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Newbie with questions...

I got a couple of questions, hope you don't mind... Will the E-Fan work with a 4.7L from a 2009 1500 and will a check engine light turn on once the A/C switch for the fan clicks?

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the radiators are the same then it should drop right in I'd imagine. As for the a/c fan thing, I'm going to guess no because I haven't seen it. Reason being is most likely because the v6fan is acting as both, the a/c fan and the oh **** I'm hot fan.

bashby80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just did this mod, kept the stock T-stat. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on my temp just to make sure nothing is going to start cooking. Next up will be a tuner so I can change the temp and to just keep handy. Thanks for the write up!

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope im not asking a stupid question but... any chance this diy would work for 3rd gens...?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
totally different. no "plug n play" setup on the 3rds.