i got a tick/knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
ok here is the issue. i have a 2000 ram 1500 5.9L with a tick/knock. im thinking (hoping) its just lifters. this noise is there most of the time most noticeable on start up and at low rpm and keeps pace with engine speed. On ocassion it does go away but it allways comes back. Does my truck have hydrolic lifters or rods and how do i check to see if im right and fix it ? Im hoping if im right the trk has rods cause there cheaper and i have a tourq wrench i just dont know how to go about the repair and the correct tourq lol.

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Sounds like lifters to me . A knock would be really noticeable as in u wouldn't want to run the truck if it was a rod or crank bearing . As stated lifters and valve adjustment

If you can't dodge it RAM it !

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
might be a good time to upgrade to roller rockers as well

OP
OP
P

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
ok how would i find out if i have hydrolic lifters simply take off the valve covers and see if there are push rods or hydrolic lifters ?

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Google it . I'm not sure on that question but I believe they are maybe some motor guru can chime in soon

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Pitbull I just did a little research and yes the motor has hydrolic lifters and rollers . That came from several site I found on google .

TexasCornBread

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
All I can find is hydrolic lifters and rollers . I hope someone else can chime in and help also

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds to me that there is a chance at 2 issues. One there isn't enough oil being pumped up to lube it properly therefore causing the clacking. Or there is a loose lifter. The 5.9 has rods that go to the cam and 1.7 RR's are a nice upgrade.

Here is a link to the service manual. That has all the specs and breakdown you will need.
http://www.ramforum.com/f77/2nd-gen-service-manual-986/

OP
OP
P

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
BigTman thanks if im undersatnding you correct there is no hydrolic lifters in my truck then its all push rods ?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It is more of a hybrid. Here is a link to an article on the valvetrain for magnum engines. I thought when I had my valvcovers I seen pushrods. Which doesn't make it hydrolic.

Magnum Engine Features