I need a new battery....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The factory battery for the Hemi is 730 CCA(regular flooded lead acid battery), even the EcoDiesel rolls off the assembly line with only a 800 CCA (AGM) battery, not sure where you came up with the Hemi requiring an 850 CCA.

Not requiring 850, I said he was in good shape with 850. I see the word that, meaning good ccs amps, not the number as in 850, I see why that was confusing. I believe I said hemi requires more then other engines. I know the CCS for hemi was in the 700's, as I just did mine recently.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you need a little extra the H8 fits in the Ram once you remove the plastic spacer in the housing. Not sure if this helps. I stuck with the H7 AGM from Advance with a 25% off coupon.
Just looked this up and it seems to be a common mod for Jeeps. What spacer do you remove?

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Look at the battery end nearest the firewall. You’ll see a gap 1.5-2” and follow it to the base. There will be a small plastic clip that sets against the end of the battery. Just pop that out and you can now use the extra space.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have used these for years . I started using them in my Jeeps for winching and just for the quality of the battery in my trucks and any one in my family's vehicles. Thats is a high price in the add but I found Auto Zone can have it in a couple days . It is a very impressive battery . They used to make a gray colored one for Sears called a Platinum which naturally isn't available anymore.
check out en

B9D13337-A5CF-4839-A30C-D6A1D2953E36_1_201_a.jpeg

31ACFA0F-A955-45B1-B38D-A3CC11B704A7_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Can you just unhook these batteries and re-connect like the old days, or are there "tricks" because of all the electronics nowadays?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can you just unhook these batteries and re-connect like the old days, or are there "tricks" because of all the electronics nowadays?
Yeap, start with the ground of course. Asked my mechanic buddy about this before I replaced mine, he said every once in a while you might get a CEL that come up some module loss comm. There isn't a problem just reset the CEL.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I needed a battery for my 2015 2500/6.4. Interstate fixed me right up. We have an Interstate store nearby.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any knowledgeable battery people out there? I need a new battery for my truck....

b8a0fa7ead32ede59cde07eacb7dfade.jpg

I have a lot invested in high end lighting (just over $2,500) and, since the lights draw power right off the battery, I want something quality. Thank for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whats the lighting you have? asking cause i like lights and have mine lit up as well.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any knowledgeable battery people out there? I need a new battery for my truck....

I have a lot invested in high end lighting (just over $2,500) and, since the lights draw power right off the battery, I want something quality. Thank for the input.

I bought that battery for mine, works great.
There are plenty of 20% coupons out there, plus I had a rebate card from them and the battery had a rebate.
Ended up costing me ~$120 in the end.

bankshot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
Just bought the diehard at autozone H8. 17 model with 41000. No worry about losing any settings, at least I didn’t. Broke the tab on the spacer. 199.00 with core exchange. That SOB is heavy, get your wife to put it in.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long are yall getting out of your stoxk battery, I've got 60k on my 16, 4.5 year old battery.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question.... that "blanket cover thing" that's on the stock H7 size battery, does it fit the new/larger H8 battery? If not, is it needed?

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I bought a new 2013 RAM Longhorn in December 2013 and had battery issues with the OEM just 2 weeks later ... the dealer replaced it with a new one and still had issues with low battery problems ... I went out and bought a $400 (Canadian) NORTHSTAR AGM battery (made in USA) from a local battery shop and I never had any problem with it ... I traded my 2013 Ram in for a new 2017 and had the dealer put my Northstar battery in my new truck ... I traded the '17 in on a new 2020 in February but unfortunately I forgot to have the battery changed ... In any event it was still going strong, never had any problems with it even in our cold winters here in Canada ... I would highly recommend ... If I ever need a new battery, I would purchase another Northstar without question ... Well worth the money ...

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like many others, I have tried just about all of the name brand batteries out there, from most retailers - Costco, Walmart, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc........I have found no real difference in life span yet - I get 4-5 years out of an automotive battery.

Manufacturing has changed a lot in the last several years. I used run the Optima series batteries in off-road vehicles, but about 10 years ago, Optima moved its main manufacturing to Mexico, and the quality and durability/longevity went South in a flash. Interstate batteries used to be the benchmark, in my opinion, but their quality has gone done as well...

My current experience and recommendation is this - find the battery size for your vehicle and then shop that size (H7 or whatever) - ignore brand names for the most part, and compare price and warranty, and choose the best value price, WITH the longest no hassle “replacement” warranty. The main area I have noticed a difference these days is the warranty - some are in fact better than others, 36-48 months full replacement, and some are seriously short.....90 days.....

I put 2 batteries in my wife’s previous car. The first, I opted for the 20% higher cost AGM battery, at the time.....still got the exact same time use = just over 4 years.....the next battery I put in her car was the Costco Interstate branded lead acid bath battery, for 20% less than the cheapest AGM battery I could find....

My Dodge Magnum - I got 4.5 years almost to the day on the last 2 batteries - the older came from Walmart, and the last one came from Autozone, and both were AGM.

As some have said, look for the 20 or 25% off coupons from the national auto parts stores....

AGM batteries are, for the most part, the current standard battery type from most retailers. The Costco Interstate branded batteries can be the best value, but not always, given the coupons available from auto parts stores.

The best battery life I personally have experience with = my 2008 BMW oem battery - just replaced this one a few months ago = 12 years on the oem battery! Most replacements were $250-$400.......I found a 20% off online coupon at Pep Boys, and they installed the AGM battery in it, for $180.00......I am betting I will get 4-5 years on the new one.

Shop around, and get the proper class of battery for your vehicle, slightly bigger is generally no big deal, and get the best/longest warranty for the battery, without paying extra for it.

good luck

Last edited:

reborn55

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My factory battery shot craps in just over 3 years--22k miles--put NAPA battery in as I have used them for years in ambulances--Got a good deal--happy so far