If you are going to add the Factory Remote Start to a 2018 Ram 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m posting this in case someone else googles it. It seems that the 2018’s are slightly different than the 2017’s and earlier. 82215553 is the part number and what’s involved is replacing the hood latch with another and running a wire to the BCM. Lastly, you have to get the dealer to add the XBM Sales code. I did the physical install and just needed them to add the sales code.

THAT was the issue.

They messed with it for a few and came out and told me that it can’t be added to my Laramie. They said I was missing a few things and proceeded to show me the instructions...which I immediately noticed were for a 1500. After I gave them the proper instructions he came back out and said the kit will only work on a 3500 or a 4500, that when trying to add the sales code they were getting an error telling them that the receiver module is not compatible with that sales code. He did in fact show me where the other models are for both the keyless entry AND remote start and that mine was only showing keyless entry. He says in fact if someone asked them for a remote start kit for a 2018 2500, He has no part number to order it. This is just for 2018’s.

I asked him as long as we are here does he have a number he can call like a tech line and he replied it wouldn’t do any good because those guys that answer don’t know anything. I convinced him to at least give it a try. Lo-and-behold....the instructions didn’t tell you that if it is a 2018, you have to trick it into thinking you replaced that receiver module as well and once you do that, THEN it will take the XBM sales code. Took 10 minutes (of course they charged me a full hour). Remote start worked fine. If I hadn’t got him to make that call we would have ordered the receiver that shows to work with it and HOPED that it was in fact the cause! Persistence paid off. Also Mopar said the reason they didn’t show a remote start kit for 2018’s was simply because they haven’t updated the system yet. Of course.

The RFHM module that my truck has that supposedly would not accept the XBM sales code is part number 68363202AC. The RFHM that will accept the XBM sales code is part number 68363199AC.

I just added those in case someone winds up in the same boat I was in. Fact is we were able to add the sales code as stated above.

I hope this post helps someone.

Last edited:

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m posting this in case someone else googles it. It seems that the 2018’s are slightly different than the 2017’s and earlier. 82215553 is the part number and what’s involved is replacing the hood latch with another and running a wire to the BCM. Lastly, you have to get the dealer to add the XBM Sales code. I did the physical install and just needed them to add the sales code.

THAT was the issue.

They messed with it for a few and came out and told me that it can’t be added to my Laramie. They said I was missing a few things and proceeded to show me the instructions...which I immediately noticed were for a 1500. After I gave them the proper instructions he came back out and said the kit will only work on a 3500 or a 4500, that when trying to add the sales code they were getting an error telling them that the receiver module is not compatible with that sales code. He did in fact show me where the other models are for both the keyless entry AND remote start and that mine was only showing keyless entry. He says in fact if someone asked them for a remote start kit for a 2018 2500, He has no part number to order it. This is just for 2018’s.

I asked him as long as we are here does he have a number he can call like a tech line and he replied it wouldn’t do any good because those guys that answer don’t know anything. I convinced him to at least give it a try. Lo-and-behold....the instructions didn’t tell you that if it is a 2018, you have to trick it into thinking you replaced that receiver module as well and once you do that, THEN it will take the XBM sales code. Took 10 minutes (of course they charged me a full hour). Remote start worked fine. If I hadn’t got him to make that call we would have ordered the receiver that shows to work with it and HOPED that it was in fact the cause! Persistence paid off. Also Mopar said the reason they didn’t show a remote start kit for 2018’s was simply because they haven’t updated the system yet. Of course.

The RFHM module that my truck has that supposedly would not accept the XBM sales code is part number 68363202AC. The RFHM that will accept the XBM sales code is part number 68363199AC.

I just added those in case someone winds up in the same boat I was in. Fact is we were able to add the sales code as stated above.

I hope this post helps someone.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but are those PNs for all 2018’s or just the 2500?

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion!

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Thanks.

JUST now looking into this feature. Picked up a 2018 yesterday and I can see from the kits - some of them, some places - they‘re supposed to fit 2018s, too.

So to summarize, you‘re saying the STOCK BCM will, WILL accept the XBM sales code, someone just needs to go the extra step to program?

The kit you referenced is listed at

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...572&Filter=()?Vin=3C6UR5DL4JG215572&Filter=()

and on amazom dot com for about the same price.

Mopar site has instructions which show step by step instructions.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/resources/installation/MPG/18_82215553.pdf

This what you took to the dealership?

I have a friend with an off-road custom shop who says he has all the doo-dads necessary to reprogram, flash, update, etc.

Just nice to have a backup plan and I LOVE telling “professionals” how to do their job when they don’t know themselves what they’re capable of.

Norm

OP
OP
B

BuggyMasters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might try SteveWhiteParts.com they might have it cheaper. Might now..but they are typically pretty cheap.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
You might try SteveWhiteParts.com they might have it cheaper. Might now..but they are typically pretty cheap.

Sent him a message yesterday w/ my VIN, asked about compatibility/availability.

Thanks.

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
Update: I'd bought the kit shortly after buying the truck, finally got around to installing it a few weeks ago. Man, what a pain. I think there's a special hell for mechanical engineers who design these trucks and the locations for things like the BCM/C1 plug. And hey, MOPAR, can you do something about taking the razor-sharp edges off all that metal under the dash? I cut myself more on my Ram than I ever have on my HMMWV - and that's a LOT.

So, I had special instructions on hand from this forum as well as the OEM instructions with the kit, had my truck in the dealer's shop 3 days ago to get a bad battery replaced and some recall/update for passenger seat sensor. Had all that done in about twenty minutes. Dead battery's a dead battery, bad cell, easy exchange, had one on hand, no charge (factory warranty 3/36 or something).

While there, I asked if they could code the fobs to the truck and enable the remote start.

Sure, no problem, $125. Dammit.

I had spoken with a tech friend about doing this at his house, but it was an hour and a half round trip, I was there, so okay.

No dice. Even showed them hard copy of this forum thread. Pointed out the pertinent parts of the OPs comments:

" Lo-and-behold....the instructions didn’t tell you that if it is a 2018, you have to trick it into thinking you replaced that receiver module as well and once you do that, THEN it will take the XBM sales code. Took 10 minutes (of course they charged me a full hour). Remote start worked fine."

TWO hours later, THREE techs looking at the problem, one who'd installed a unit last week and thought I was the same guy having a problem with his, HE couldn't get it working. Fobs worked to open truck, tip start worked, just no remote start.

Yeah, I paid the $125. Ouch. But you still pay your vet even though your dog died from the procedure, right? Like I was going to argue at that point and they'd put three different techs on the thing, said if I could come back next week...

Um, no thanks. My dodge died on the table [see what I did there?]

SO, last night I went to my MOPAR tech friend's house where he had a secure line, the codes for my truck VIN, and he went through the exact same instructions (OEM) the dealer did and...

NOTHING. No remote.

I'd pointed out the hard copy from the OP and mentioned it when I arrived - I confessed I'd had the dealer try this and the failed. He was surprised they charged me anyway but admitted they DID program the FOBs and even his dealer charges $40 each for this service.

At this point, I mentioned the OP post AGAIN.

[an aside: if you do something as routine, do it pretty much the same way, have trained on the system, just KNOW how to do things, anything that is even mildly different, even overtly different, you're likely to miss over and over again. Henry Ford discovered very early on that assembly line workers doing quality assurance would let bad parts through again and again. Best anyone could figure out is, if you're looking for normal, and see a thousand normals, your brain's pattern-recognition sometimes fails to see irregularities. This is called "normalcy bias" in psychology/politics. I've seen it in medicine for decades with radiologists missing OBVIOUS details like a metal cross stuck at the gastroesophageal junction and issuing a report of "No acute cardiopulmonary process or foreign body identified" when it was right there]

My tech friend read and re-read the paragraph, said, "huh... well, lets give it a try."

He did, it worked. Over and over again no problem.

I paid him the $40 he'd asked for, we chatted, and I headed home.

Went outside this AM and truck remote didn't work. Read this on the display: "Remote start disabled. Restart engine to reset."

WTF?

I tipped the fob, let the preheat cycle run up, started the truck, ran it for a minute, shut it down, locked it up and hit remote twice.

Vroom!

For anyone considering this option, know that the dealer will ONLY do what the dealer has knowledge and experience doing. Thinking outside the proverbial box is frowned on in corporate America (tell me one valid reason MOPAR prevents end-users from changing the tire pressure settings when they KNOW those high pressures will prematurely wear out the centers of the tires and make for a harsh ride - techs no longer have access to this option, we tried last night, it's not even in the software they use). TAKE THE OP's instructions with you, BEG them to read the second paragraph again and again until they get it.

Good luck.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If you have alphaobd you can do all the programming for the remote start and program the keys. The install took me about 30-45 because the bcm location is not fun to get too. Another ~5 minutes to program the truck and keys. Although I did some trouble shooting because the initial process worked just no start, but ended up just needing a couple key cycles and a drive to let the truck adjust to the programming. If you haven't heard about alphaobd I'd definitely recommend reading the thread on it. It allows you to do pretty much everything the dealer can and sometimes more. With 2018 truck's you will need a security bypass cable that @M2Mods sells. Also with I believe 2017/18 trucks the original fobs have the same board as the key fobs that come with the kit. So all you have to do is buy replacement skin's with the remote start option and you'll have 2 extra remote start fobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have alphaobd you can do all the programming for the remote start and program the keys. The install took me about 30-45 because the bcm location is not fun to get too. Another ~5 minutes to program the truck and keys. Although I did some trouble shooting because the initial process worked just no start, but ended up just needing a couple key cycles and a drive to let the truck adjust to the programming. If you haven't heard about alphaobd I'd definitely recommend reading the thread on it. It allows you to do pretty much everything the dealer can and sometimes more. With 2018 truck's you will need a security bypass cable that @M2Mods sells. Also with I believe 2017/18 trucks the original fobs have the same board as the key fobs that come with the kit. So all you have to do is buy replacement skin's with the remote start option and you'll have 2 extra remote start fobs

Are the instructions for doing this on the google drive document in the Alpha thread?

Do these replace the key you already have or are they an addition? In other words do I have to carry my key and my remote start fob? Yes I have a key not push button start. Or is there a different kit that comes with keys with remote start on them?

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Are the instructions for doing this on the google drive document in the Alpha thread?

Do these replace the key you already have or are they an addition? In other words do I have to carry my key and my remote start fob? Yes I have a key not push button start. Or is there a different kit that comes with keys with remote start on them?

Yes the instructions are in this Google drive folder

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xQvdHVTgRwKQRKSBh1K2rkCqg5dlpSi0

I wrote these instructions based off of others postings and made as close to a step by step instructions with pictures as I could.

The keys that come in the kit are designed to replace your current keys. They look exactly the same as what you have just with the remote start button.

For the "baseline" fobs

32ddc9a7405d3b944e0358e3ba76561a.jpg

For the "highline" fobs

cffe66568fed1f42b2a536bb30601d3c.jpg

I believe it was @Jimmy07 discovered that the keys that came with your truck already have provisions and are programmed to work with the factory remote start you just need the cover with the contact for the remote start. ( I believe that it's only for 2017 and 2018 truck's, maybe 2019's)

I went with these
QualityKeylessPlus TWO... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MVAO6Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And work perfectly. I now have 4 fobs for my truck that will operate the factory remote start.

There is also a cheaper way of getting a factory remote start. Buying the new skins (if I can find either the thread or the pin part numbers) take a short piece of wire and the correct pin, insert it into the same slot (11 I think it was) and ground that wire ( that's all the hood latch in the kit does) program everything (except for the keys) the same as the instructions in my link says and you'll have a working factory remote start.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the look of those keyfobs better than the one I just bought for my 1500. Is that weird? :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I wrote these instructions based off of others postings and made as close to a step by step instructions with pictures as I could.

The keys that come in the kit are designed to replace your current keys. They look exactly the same as what you have just with the remote start button.

For the "baseline" fobs

For the "highline" fobs

I believe it was @Jimmy07 discovered that the keys that came with your truck already have provisions and are programmed to work with the factory remote start you just need the cover with the contact for the remote start. ( I believe that it's only for 2017 and 2018 truck's, maybe 2019's)

I went with these
QualityKeylessPlus TWO... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MVAO6Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And work perfectly. I now have 4 fobs for my truck that will operate the factory remote start.

There is also a cheaper way of getting a factory remote start. Buying the new skins (if I can find either the thread or the pin part numbers) take a short piece of wire and the correct pin, insert it into the same slot (11 I think it was) and ground that wire ( that's all the hood latch in the kit does) program everything (except for the keys) the same as the instructions in my link says and you'll have a working factory remote start.

I definitely can’t take credit for discovering about the fobs. I first heard about it here https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-add-remote-start-to-2017-ram.99849/

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I like the look of those keyfobs better than the one I just bought for my 1500. Is that weird? :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not exactly sure what year the "highline" fob I posted is from I just Googled ram key Fob to post the different styles. The "highline" is for push button start equipped trucks

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not exactly sure what year the "highline" fob I posted is from I just Googled ram key Fob to post the different styles. The "highline" is for push button start equipped trucks

The one I have doesnt have the nice silver inserts between the rows of buttons.

Stupid, I know, but it does look better with them :)

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

For the "baseline" fobs

For the "highline" fobs

I went with these

So it just may be a matter of grounding 1 pin, changing faceplates and programming?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So it just may be a matter of grounding 1 pin, changing faceplates and programming?

Yes. That's all you have to do.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. That's all you have to do.

So I went to the dealer today to get my pin, first they told me $50 to get it, I told them you have to give it to me it’s part of my truck, that I own. Finally the gave it up.
I then asked for a quote to install remote start. $625 wow!!!! I wound up spending $107 on Amazon for the wiring kit, the latch and the fob faces.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Most dealers don't know that you have a right to it and will either just plain deny you or toss out a number to charge you. On my 2015 I had the dealer install a factory remote start (way more involved than 2017+) and I paid just about $300 for labor. Other than getting to pin 11 the install is really easy on 2017+

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most dealers don't know that you have a right to it and will either just plain deny you or toss out a number to charge you. On my 2015 I had the dealer install a factory remote start (way more involved than 2017+) and I paid just about $300 for labor. Other than getting to pin 11 the install is really easy on 2017+

I’m counting on that lol. Parts are ordered. Thanks for your help BTW you saved me some $$$ I did order the latch and harness on Amazon so it was more “oem” but still only $107 total, more than 50% off the kit price.