I'm not a millennial.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
I don’t know about millennials… I’m 64, i’ve had push button start for 15 years, and it took me a couple weeks to get used to the knob. For me the more tech in the truck the better. My only complaint would be, I like to downshift and the buttons Had to be put somewhere else so they’re on the steering wheel, and not a convenient location… Although I’ve also got used to those. It’s change dude, you don’t wanna sound like somebody who’s telling kids to get off the lawn ;-)

JG-Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Radioman16: As far as "100 yr old proven technology," I have a 1947 MOPAR woodie wagon and it has push button start. All the old cars had pushbutton start becasue it was direct, simple and reliable. Putting the ignition/start into a key twist / shifter interlocking system was a gadget. You can spend less money just buying my 2012 Power Wagon Laramie with super low miles than trying to retrofit your new model but I have to warn you, there was a recall on the manual column shifter interlock system. I had the recall work performed but it stil needs a jiggle sometimes to make sure its all the way in Park to get the key out so I don't think they did much to improve it. Oh, and the 2012 Power Wagon was the last year to have the low-tech, but proven, solid front axle, which sounds like it would be your front suspension of choice.

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck with your NON-RAM truck. Push button start is awesome and it's not that hard to get use to the shifter. I did change mine out because I didn't like the stock look.
Where did you get the replacement knob?

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I'm not a Millennial either, let's just say old enough to order off that "Special section" (senior section) of the menu...

I friggen LOVE the shift dial, push button start and anything they can do to upgrade driving to make it easier. I'd say if you don't like it, get a different truck.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been a Ram guy for 30+ years. My last Ram was a 2018 Rebel. For some stupid reason, Ram decided to install a stupid electronic gear shift knob in-place of the column shift lever, and a push-to-start button instead of keys. I decided to give it a try, but was so disappointed with the performance that I traded in my Ram for a Chevy. I was so excited to hear the 2022 Ram was gonna provide the option of a G/T package that would eliminate that stupid millennial gear shift knob. Unfortunately, they are staying with the push-to-start button, and supposedly they will be going to a push button parking brake as well.

My question to the group is: Is it possible to retrofit a millennial edition truck with 100 year old proven technology and replace the push buttons with keys, and a manual parking brake?
Actually quite like the shift knob instead of the old lever. Also much prefer the start/stop button, AND am No millennium I’m 75!!!! Do not know of anyone making a conversion for the shift or start button. Just as well anyway.

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why didn’t you just go with the 2500? I believe they still have the column shift and possibly having to stick the plastic key flob into the ignition to start. As far as the electronic shift knob and push button start, I believe it’s here to stay. Many if not most people find it easier to use. Especially those whom aren’t able to drive a standard transmission. Plus as a bonus the trucks were harder to be stolen since now in days standard trannys are very hard to find. I recall the days that it used to cost more for an automatic back in the 70’s and 80’s whereas now it’s hard to find a standard transmission in anything.

The few issues I’ve had to learn and still do at times is if your battery goes dead in your truck you can no longer have your buddy push the truck and you pop the clutch into first gear, most of the time it worked if your buddy pushed hard and fast enough. Lol. And lastly the other thing I’m getting used to is your not able to or at least I’m not able to figure it out, but I can’t put the truck into reverse with the door open like I did when I was a kid watching the rear tires when I got stuck or whatever. Old school so I’m hoping that qualifies me as not being a millennial. Haha.

Last edited:

Mike_D33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't want a vehicle without the push button start, it's 2021... I do not mind the rotary shifter but it did take some getting used to, keeps the steering column looking clean tho IMO.

duneop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do realize that the top couple of rows of the AC condenser in the Ram 1500 w/ZF 8spd transmission are the transmission cooler.
Yah, I just replaced mine and that's an all day job and easy $1000.
I also agree, I've been with Dodge for years and are well aware of the cost of ownership of these trucks. But not having a column shifter would push me towards the 2500. If it had *** by that time I might consider another brand.

Joe_Ram73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins 6.7
I think the only way you could retrofit is by installing an old transmission, but even then is not fully mechanical because at the transmission a sensor reads your input and command the different electric solenoids to activate in the gear you have selected. This is how my 2011 works anyway. I guess what I'm saying is that since 2011 or even earlier, they have been electronic transmissions. The difference now is that they use a knob instead of a lever or shifter. If you verify the mechanism on your current truck, the transmission will most likely have a sensor right where the cable from the shifter connects to it. You may not see the sensor but you'll see an electrical connector closed to it.

Mike_D33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with your NON-RAM truck. Push button start is awesome and it's not that hard to get use to the shifter. I did change mine out because I didn't like the stock look.
Where did you get that?

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do think in the owners manual there’s a section on how to start the truck without the key flob due to a dead flob battery etc.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My 2020 Limited is the second Ram 1500 i've owned with the selector knob and I got real comfortable with it after driving vehicles with steering column shifters most of my life. As for the push button start system, my 2016 Lonestar still used a key for starting and when I got my 2020 I was so happy to not have to fumble around my pockets for my key, struggle with finding the ignition slot on the column at night etc. Sorry you're "Old School" and had to trade in you Ram for a Chevy, cause I'm sure you probably took a pretty big hit$$$$$$.
Good Luck

aeromax4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been a Ram guy for 30+ years. My last Ram was a 2018 Rebel. For some stupid reason, Ram decided to install a stupid electronic gear shift knob in-place of the column shift lever, and a push-to-start button instead of keys. I decided to give it a try, but was so disappointed with the performance that I traded in my Ram for a Chevy. I was so excited to hear the 2022 Ram was gonna provide the option of a G/T package that would eliminate that stupid millennial gear shift knob. Unfortunately, they are staying with the push-to-start button, and supposedly they will be going to a push button parking brake as well.

My question to the group is: Is it possible to retrofit a millennial edition truck with 100 year old proven technology and replace the push buttons with keys, and a manual parking brake?
I hate the electronic gear shift knob. I have to be careful to make sure I'm not throwing the truck into park when attempting to turn the blower motor down. Bring back the proven gear shifter. The starter button doesn't affect me, I'm fine with it.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
The knob shifter is great, and I like it a lot. The push button start I think can change, but generally goes with the stop start system, which I dislike.

Vijo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the original OP. Old habits die hard. I spent a week with one and it drove me crazy. I think if the detent would have had more positive feedback it would have been better. For some reason on the HD series, they kept the shifter on the column -- probably for that very same reason that the HD crowd would be less accepting of the new setup. It seems to me they are trying to make the experience of owning a truck closer to that of an automobile. Many of the people who that would appeal to are automobile owners who want a truck but are on the fence and who would never get an HD so the 1500 series gets the knob. RAM is smart -- they know the market but even smart decisions sometimes don't work out. Time will tell.

BTW to the OP -- be careful. unless chevy changed the setup of the knobs, the 4 wheel drive knob is right next to the light know and both look identical, and both have an option that says auto. It's easy to engage the wrong one. Only happened to me once but it's worth a mention.