Installing a v6 e fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Fowler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in the process of installing a v6 e fan on my 2014 Hemi. Im trying to test the fan before completing the install. My understanding is that without a tuner you can install the fan and have it kick on with the ac or it will otherwise kick on at 220f coolant temp automatically. I can't seem to get it to start with the ac. I let the coolant get up to 205 and the oil to 190. With the ac on I can't get it to kick on at all. Maybe I just have a faulty fan?

UPDATE: The fan does kick in with the ac but there's about a 90 second delay. I also let the truck get warm while iddling in the driveway, once the coolant hits 220 the fan kicks in and brings temps down right away.

Looking forward to getting a tuner soon to set the temp so the fan will kick in sooner.

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I thought the factory E-fan on the hemis only ran with the A/C, but maybe that 220F thing is also true? Other than that, like you say, you have to have someone do some programming for it to work with the pentastar fan.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I thought the factory E-fan on the hemis only ran with the A/C, but maybe that 220F thing is also true? Other than that, like you say, you have to have someone do some programming for it to work with the pentastar fan.

The factory e-fan (atleast on my truck with the 4.7) would run when the engine needed help before i installed my current 3.7V6 e-fan.

The 3.7 e-fan sucks so much air it’s unbelievable. I stuck my hand in front of the grille when the e-fan was on and it blew me away (no pun intended) with how much air it was pulling through. Best upgrade i’ve done so far, and not to mention my truck feels a crap ton quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The factory e-fan (atleast on my truck with the 4.7) would run when the engine needed help before i installed my current 3.7V6 e-fan.

The 3.7 e-fan sucks so much air it’s unbelievable. I stuck my hand in front of the grille when the e-fan was on and it blew me away (no pun intended) with how much air it was pulling through. Best upgrade i’ve done so far, and not to mention my truck feels a crap ton quicker.

Ah.. Sorry!

I thought we were comparing Ram 1500 hemi factory E-fans vs. Ram 1500 pentastar E-fans. The old Ram 3.7L V6 and 4.7 V8 are different animals.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm in the process of installing a v6 e fan on my 2014 Hemi. Im trying to test the fan before completing the install. My understanding is that without a tuner you can install the fan and have it kick on with the ac or it will otherwise kick on at 220f coolant temp automatically. I can't seem to get it to start with the ac. I let the coolant get up to 205 and the oil to 190. With the ac on I can't get it to kick on at all. Maybe I just have a faulty fan?

UPDATE: The fan does kick in with the ac but there's about a 90 second delay. I also let the truck get warm while iddling in the driveway, once the coolant hits 220 the fan kicks in and brings temps down right away.

Looking forward to getting a tuner soon to set the temp so the fan will kick in sooner.

My only gripe is when feeling the fan kick on I wish it could be pwm style. It's pretty instant on/off from a vibration standpoint.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You shouldn't feel air blow out of the grille. You should feel it go past your hand as it is being sucked into the grille - but the air should blow out of the back of the fan onto the engine.
Is this what you meant??

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah.. Sorry!

I thought we were comparing Ram 1500 hemi factory E-fans vs. Ram 1500 pentastar E-fans. The old Ram 3.7L V6 and 4.7 V8 are different animals.

It isn't possible to run the pentastar fan on the hemi as far as I know - the hemi efan gets replaced with the 3.7 fan.

The 3.7 fan is about 2" larger and has a better built in shroud vs. the hemi.
I don't know if it cools any better vs. the stock hemi efan w/stock shroud in place.
I didn't notice much of a difference in actual use - but didn't do any scientific measurements/tests.

There is a difference between grilles in regards to cooling efficiency though.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
You shouldn't feel air blow out of the grille. You should feel it go past your hand as it is being sucked into the grille - but the air should blow out of the back of the fan onto the engine.
Is this what you meant??

Yup, lol.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you crazy. I'm still not sold on an aftermarket controller. I will figure this out eventually using oem to do it with those 2019 fans. :angels25:
I was testing a module used in jeeps to add the pentastar fan to our trucks but that’s been going for 2 years now... the person I was dealing with doesn’t seem to care about it so I’ve given up and wasted around 700$ in trying to get it to work properly. The module will control the fan but we were having issues getting the module to communicate with the truck canbus system. I recently got the module back but haven’t gotten around to testing it again and really don’t care to since that controller I have works fine for the v6 fan and uses Pwm to regulate fan speed

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I was testing a module used in jeeps to add the pentastar fan to our trucks but that’s been going for 2 years now... the person I was dealing with doesn’t seem to care about it so I’ve given up and wasted around 700$ in trying to get it to work properly. The module will control the fan but we were having issues getting the module to communicate with the truck canbus system. I recently got the module back but haven’t gotten around to testing it again and really don’t care to since that controller I have works fine for the v6 fan and uses Pwm to regulate fan speed

I'm thinking just a straight 19 PCM and harness should do the trick. The PCM is what has that pwm function I want. Then to unlock it you see where I'm going with it but I don't want to waste money. I'll go methodically with time and research. I am in no rush to do it. The efan I have now works. I just want cake too :D:D

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the 19 pcm will work. Not sure it can be used. The 19 new body style security stuff may pose an issue. The 19 classic does not use pwm either. The 4th gen computer is capable of producing pwm as its used in the eco diesel and pentastar but in the hemi for some reason there has been the issue getting it to tell the fan to turn on. The pwm fans have constant power to them but require a special signal which is the module I have from the jeeps. I’m supposed to test it and if it works I’m selling it to a guy Mike on a group from Facebook High performance rams.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My biggest issue with the e-fan is increased operating temps without being tuned.

I don’t like having the engine up to 223°F before it does anything, so i’ll have to get a tuner soon and lower the temp the fan kicks onto to 180, and install a 180 thermo.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
My biggest issue with the e-fan is increased operating temps without being tuned.

I don’t like having the engine up to 223°F before it does anything, so i’ll have to get a tuner soon and lower the temp the fan kicks onto to 180, and install a 180 thermo.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend this mod without a tuner.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
If the 19 pcm will work. Not sure it can be used. The 19 new body style security stuff may pose an issue. The 19 classic does not use pwm either. The 4th gen computer is capable of producing pwm as its used in the eco diesel and pentastar but in the hemi for some reason there has been the issue getting it to tell the fan to turn on. The pwm fans have constant power to them but require a special signal which is the module I have from the jeeps. I’m supposed to test it and if it works I’m selling it to a guy Mike on a group from Facebook High performance rams.

And there is the other part of it. If it already exists we should be able to unlock the feature but how? If we copy the ecodiesel setup in theory what else is there?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Yeah I wouldn't recommend this mod without a tuner.

It’s fine for the time being, it cools very quick.

I’d only get worried if it hit 250.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And there is the other part of it. If it already exists we should be able to unlock the feature but how? If we copy the ecodiesel setup in theory what else is there?
I’ve contemplated that. As far as i know the only way to access the factory pwm fan controls is hp tuners but I don’t know if it worked out. The person I was talking to never got back to me. It all depends on if the hp tuners actually has the ability to change that setting properly and if the computer will respond. Also depends on what else the computer is looking for to tell the fan to turn on. I’m not sure.