Installing OEM backup cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I have mine installed this weekend thanks to mpgrimm2 everything as if it were from the factory the only thing I could not activate were dynamic gridlines a message comes out that shows that my vehicle does not support that option I will contact the alpha developer to see if the can help me even if it still works
778B3234-E9B2-47FA-BB09-AEE179F4EBF9.jpeg

6D25EDB0-475D-486D-A735-DE35D1A1FE62.jpeg

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I have mine installed this weekend thanks to mpgrimm2 everything as if it were from the factory the only thing I could not activate were dynamic gridlines a message comes out that shows that my vehicle does not support that option I will contact the alpha developer to see if the can help me even if it still works
View attachment 204686

View attachment 204721
Very cool!

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ended up purchasing an aftermarket back up camera with a RCA plug from a member as well as a connector to plug the RCA plug into the back of the radio plug. Had the the dealership flash the truck (with XAC) and now have a blue screen. I double checked my connections. My understanding from reading through this thread is that I may have a bad camera that needs replaced - does that sound right? Figured I'd ask before purchasing a new one.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ended up purchasing an aftermarket back up camera with a RCA plug from a member as well as a connector to plug the RCA plug into the back of the radio plug. Had the the dealership flash the truck (with XAC) and now have a blue screen. I double checked my connections. My understanding from reading through this thread is that I may have a bad camera that needs replaced - does that sound right? Figured I'd ask before purchasing a new one.
After market does not work with the factory radios as far as I know .
Best bet is to purchase the OEM kit and install it ....pretty easy to do and works 100%

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Well.... No completely correct... If they are getting a blue screen... The radio is programmed and looking for video on the backup camera input pins at 31,32,33.

Video can come from any analog video source properly connected.... Aftermarket would need an RCA pigtail connected to 31,32 ... So ... He either has a bad camera/wiring or his RCA video feed to the radio is not in the correct pins.

M² Mods.

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve double checked all connections and that I’ve got it in the correct pins and I do. I guess I’m ordering a new camera now.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I’ve double checked all connections and that I’ve got it in the correct pins and I do. I guess I’m ordering a new camera now.
Post a picture of the back of the radio connector where you installed the Camera Input pigtail for us to look/verifiy you have it in the correct pins.

PS: Where did you pull power from?
You can't use the pulsed 12v (PwM) power lines from the taillights!

M² Mods.

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I tied into the reverse wire in the trailer plug.

I’ll take a pic when I get home of the plug.

Thank you!

Cesar592

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 pentastar
just buy an oem camera from a junkyard and buy the chassis harness from mpgrimm and everything will be a cleaner installation and as if it were shipped from the factory

RTom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you guys for your help. Dawned on me this morning I had double checked everything but the fuses. I’m taped into the reverse wire for the trailer plug and that fuse was bad. Swapped it out and now have back up camera.

79DD0CC4-1EA8-4B15-A938-380D60A23AF4.jpeg

sambrian2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wanted to drop a line and say thanks to the people that built this thread and everyone that has shared their expertise. I haven't been on here in awhile (haven't been modding) but when I was having trouble with this install, I knew this was the place to come.

I finished this project up late last week. I "blew it" on the last step plugging into the radio harness. I skipped/missed the pin hole so I was in the harness 30,32,33 instead of 30,31,32. I was able to step back thru the connectors and verify using pics from here. Extremely thankful I didn't tear something up by missing the pin.

I'm attaching files of what it looks like (at least in my case) when you screw up. I've still got the gridlines connection to make but that is for tomorrow night.

Thanks again to the forum.

IMG_2172.jpg IMG_3796.jpg IMG_9943.jpg IMG_9290-1.jpg

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So im looking at the instructions and the wire colors dont match whats on the harness. Please help if youve encountered this problem. Starting to think i got the wrong kit.15890426105792178464849914832703.jpg 15890426635823669187917580473774.jpg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That kit bypasses the c322 connector completely, goes to the PDC and splits off/goes though the firewall v where 3-5 of the loose wires get installed into a loose connector assy that comes with the kit.

Free wire splices into the BCM at C5/e -45 I believe. 2nd harness with 3 wires and matching connector goes to the radio.

Go back and look at the links in Post 10 for the schematic and the Mopar kit directions for display in the radio.

M² Mods.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry if I've missed it, as this thread is directed more towards 13+ with stock headunit. But has anyone connected the Mopar camera to a 09-12 with an aftermarket headunit? It should be easy enough to splice in a RCA connector for the camera signal. But what I'm wondering is, the instructions tell me to tie the backup lamp feed into the TIPM. Would that cause any issues due to the aftermarket headunit? I assume I wouldn't need any codes flashed because of that (I do have Alfa as well if need be). Or would I be better off just tying the backup signal into the back of the radio like I currently have done (with aftermarket camera). Thanks.

Monsteroyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L v6 vvt
Just a very big Thank you for all the comments in this thread. I read and read and read, but with the pictures and taking my time I successfully got this installed and configured. I have only a few minor bits of advice to add.

1) Before you disconnect the battery, if you have a power drivers seat, move it back. Don't ask me how I know :)
2) Take out that panel under the drivers seat and tie it up to get more room for the body control panel connector. Especially if you need to splice the purple wire in.
3) I have a 32 gal tank, the body harness from the tailgate to the front runs above it. pretty tough to zip tie that to the body harness since you cannot reach above it. so I could not do the 150 mm thing there. I guess this is just a warning for those that have a big tank.
4) No where in AlfaOBD could I find 'Trailer Hitch Camera'.

That's all I can add.

Thanks again for this great thread.
Monty

Jeff Loven

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hello, first time post on this site. I am trying to upgrade my radio and add a back up camera to a 2014 Ram 5500. I swapped out a RA1 radio for a RA2 to get a display for the camera. Installed the camera on the back of the truck of course. Anyway, I used the ODBLink MX+ with JSCAN software to add the camera to the system, but no luck. Was curious how to check firmware on the radio to make sure it was up to date. Called UConnect support but they could not assist since my VIN shows the RA1 radio. Any idea how to get the correct firmware and update?
Thanks for the help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank