Is it legal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Big bro is watching.... unrelated but somewhat in a global sense - I ran into an old neighbor in a pub recently and had a chat with him about his work selling security cameras, systems, etc. The advancement over the last few years is totally crazy. Overall, to me as a guy that is generally not breaking law, I don't care and am for it but it really does start to impinge on our rights.

Basically, everyone is being watched as though they are guilty. AI (Artificial Intelligence) is integrated into security systems and notices odd patterns of people moving through a venue and alerts security with video clips... things like that. This new tech probably would have caught people like the Boston Marathon bombers due to the way they walked around and then placed the bombs. Facial recognition, tracking through a venue with cameras handing off from one to another to track someone... it's pretty nuts. Again, to a point I'm happy if it keeps me safe but it does border on creepy overreach. In the end, it's not a good time to be a, "bad guy."

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was responding to the @18CrewDually post #5.
The story doesn't say the DEP deleted the trucks only GPS tagged them. No entrapment if they simply GPS tagged already deleted trucks offered for sale on the auction lot.

Since the dealership freely chose to offer the deleted trucks for sale to the public, the DEP agents are allowed to pose as buyers and purchase the trucks. Again, it does not say the DEP agents approached the dealer and got them to sell a deleted truck that the dealer had not already offered for sale to the public.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Big bro is watching.... unrelated but somewhat in a global sense - I ran into an old neighbor in a pub recently and had a chat with him about his work selling security cameras, systems, etc. The advancement over the last few years is totally crazy. Overall, to me as a guy that is generally not breaking law, I don't care and am for it but it really does start to impinge on our rights.

Basically, everyone is being watched as though they are guilty. AI (Artificial Intelligence) is integrated into security systems and notices odd patterns of people moving through a venue and alerts security with video clips... things like that. This new tech probably would have caught people like the Boston Marathon bombers due to the way they walked around and then placed the bombs. Facial recognition, tracking through a venue with cameras handing off from one to another to track someone... it's pretty nuts. Again, to a point I'm happy if it keeps me safe but it does border on creepy overreach. In the end, it's not a good time to be a, "bad guy."
So true. If anyone has ever shopped in a Target with a credit card in the past decade (or more) you're already identified and in their system, which they have shared with 3 letter acronym agencies before here in the states. We've been just catching up to many other countries that have had it for some time, but yes the AI is taking it to a whole new level. Just like parking lots and side streets. Camera systems that run your license to see if you have any violations in seconds as they just drive down the street. Some cities put a boot on your car when they find it. Around here, that's why some back into the parking spots going the wrong direction.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I have no need for children’s “tuck friendly” swimsuits or other such unseemly merchandise. I haven’t set foot in a Target for at least a decade.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
So true. If anyone has ever shopped in a Target with a credit card in the past decade (or more) you're already identified and in their system, which they have shared with 3 letter acronym agencies before here in the states.

At least 20 years. Target isn't the only one, but *may* have been the first mega retailer to get the software right that tied a transaction to a security camera. Enter a receipt number and you'd automatically get the footage of that register at that time, no digging through the files by a human required. Wal-mart was still doing it manually then, but I doubt they are now.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not just the dealers.

And one better, (last one) same state passed another law that any truck with a GVWR over 10k is considered commercial and is subjected to roadside inspections.
This means my passenger vehicle registered dually can be stopped at anytime and inspected for compliance. It's usually along a state highway with a large lot and they flag you in for the inspection of not only Emmissions systems but dip your tank to see if you're running dyed red off road fuel.
Yeah, it's rediculous.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
And one better, (last one) same state passed another law that any truck with a GVWR over 10k is considered commercial and is subjected to roadside inspections.
This means my passenger vehicle registered dually can be stopped at anytime and inspected for compliance. It's usually along a state highway with a large lot and they flag you in for the inspection of not only Emmissions systems but dip your tank to see if you're running dyed red off road fuel.
Yeah, it's rediculous.
Well, that would be because trucks over that weight are "self inspection".

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Well, that would be because trucks over that weight are "self inspection".
Nope, that's not why. DEP passed a statute that classifies the vehicle by weight, which then puts it in a "Commercial " category , which then in turn permits them to do roadside checks for the Emmissions. The primary stop has nothing to do with safety. None.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
At least 20 years. Target isn't the only one, but *may* have been the first mega retailer to get the software right that tied a transaction to a security camera. Enter a receipt number and you'd automatically get the footage of that register at that time, no digging through the files by a human required. Wal-mart was still doing it manually then, but I doubt they are now.
There is one guy who I am sure is very happy for this technology.
Story was on the news the other day about a guy who bought a lottery ticket at a convenience store he frequented. When the clerk saw him again she got all excited telling him he had a winning ticket. She pulled up video of him buying the ticket because he did not believe her. Turns out the guy lost the ticket. Days later he went to pick up a company car and there was the ticket on the floor between the seat and the door. $50,000 cha ching!

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Nope, that's not why. DEP passed a statute that classifies the vehicle by weight, which then puts it in a "Commercial " category , which then in turn permits them to do roadside checks for the Emmissions. The primary stop has nothing to do with safety. None.
My '17 had personal plates. No inspection required. My '20 had personal plates. No inspection required. Both because of the weight I registered them at.
When I got the '17 I even went to the inspection station and they told me the weight class is self inspection, they don't do inspections on them.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
My '17 had personal plates. No inspection required. My '20 had personal plates. No inspection required. Both because of the weight I registered them at.
When I got the '17 I even went to the inspection station and they told me the weight class is self inspection, they don't do inspections on them.

That is State Inspection. This is entirely it's own entity.

For your reading pleasure.
You can also view the state statute of the law giving the DEP the power. It has nothing to do and cannot interfere with regular motor vehicle inspections.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I am well aware that with self inspection you are subject to being pulled over and inspected on the side of the road. Since you know the area, they also used to flag trucks down on 206 in Bordentown where they had the Weigh Station in the median and do their inspections there. Nothing new. They have been doing this since I started driving 49 years ago. The authority has changed over the years. They used to have designated DMV inspectors on the roads, state police were also doing it.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
That sounds about right, 20 years. I know they also scan the parking lot for license plates as well so before you get to the front door they know who you are. Now with AI data collection is super crazy I'm sure.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I am well aware that with self inspection you are subject to being pulled over and inspected on the side of the road. Since you know the area, they also used to flag trucks down on 206 in Bordentown where they had the Weigh Station in the median and do their inspections there. Nothing new. They have been doing this since I started driving 49 years ago. The authority has changed over the years. They used to have designated DMV inspectors on the roads, state police were also doing it.
Correct, but again that is another entity that did those inspections there. And it was large obvious commercial trucks hauling trailers or box trucks. Never "Farmer Joe" just riding down 206 going home from Masturis Diner.
Read the info in the link I posted above. The DEP inspections are not ofr safety, they look for Emmissions violations.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
  • All Diesel-fueled motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial. The owner or lessee is required to inspected these vehicles.
  • All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 17,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
  • All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses