Is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Looks like OP got some new toys!

Be sure to post your compression status - you will still want to do the leakdown test to help isolate out any valve or valve seat issues vs. Compression rings...Your new boroscope will also help in a significant way.

Your note about injector noise...I'm not sure I'd go down that road yet. @Burla is right about the approach, but I'm not convinced you have an issue there to review. Check compression, review the valve condition and let's go from there.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L

Can use the fuel trim to diagnose, but odd there isnt a misfire or rough idle?
I think he should take a pause and nail down compression or any valve issues..I’m with you that without some sort of external indication that fuel is wonky, likely a waste to go down this road.

The buildup on his spark plug to me screams pickup ring or a blown valve. I’m looking forward to his update.

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@Burla @KoboldTaco so, after doing a compression test on a cold motor, my reading out of cylinder 4 was dead nuts 100psi. Tested twice. I’m at a confusing stand still right now as I did seafoam and through the intake, hot soak for 10 min and was ready to hit the road when my oil pressure gauge read zero and low oil light popped on. I was half way down the road when this happened and had to come back on a limp, worried and confused, I am not sure what to make of that and what to do from here. Never had an issue with the pump or anything no light ever came on. Very confused right now and worried I messed something up just driving it.

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I just kinda gave up and re cranked the truck just to see. Started off sounding dry as hell. But oil pressure built according to my gauge and it started sounding somewhat normal. Not too sure what to think.. what else may be now complete ground to shreds. I’m going to take it for a spin after a walk around and undercarriage check to see what what I can find. If nothing, I’m going to drive it hard and fast to dump the waste. If the light comes on again, I might not let up and just drive her till she sh!ts the bed.

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you get on the other cylinders?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Burla @KoboldTaco so, after doing a compression test on a cold motor, my reading out of cylinder 4 was dead nuts 100psi. Tested twice. I’m at a confusing stand still right now as I did seafoam and through the intake, hot soak for 10 min and was ready to hit the road when my oil pressure gauge read zero and low oil light popped on. I was half way down the road when this happened and had to come back on a limp, worried and confused, I am not sure what to make of that and what to do from here. Never had an issue with the pump or anything no light ever came on. Very confused right now and worried I messed something up just driving it.
Was it still semi quiet after the gauge read 0.If it lost all oil pressure the lifters would be noisy as hell,before panicing to much try a new oil filter if it still has no pressure,try screwing a master mechanical gauge into the oil pressure port.Don't let it run any longer then needed though,just in case you do have a pump issue.I wouldn't use it to go to work in the morning though,at least not till you've had a chance to see if it still has oil pressure. What were the other cylinders reading for psi on the compression test,if all are reading with-in 10% of each other,usually you're okay

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@Wild one @Spsully when I get back from a trip I will check the other cylinders. Give me roughly and hour and I’ll when some details. Can y’all tell me the fuse I should pull to give it the 5 second crank without start. The damn compression test I bought i sketchy and cyl4 left the piece that scews into the spark plug hole screwed in. Took 30 min to get that out. I’m going to use some pliers and crank that piece down on the gauge hose for the next ones. What fuse and process to I need to use to check cylinders?

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oil pressure could just be the sending unit. I would stop all driving of the truck until problems are identified. DON'T BE LIKE ME20230211_105903.jpg

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuel pump. I forget the specific number

Spsully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will still try to run on what's left so you may need to bleed off the extra fuel so you don't cause issues with lack of oil

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@Spsully @Burla okay so the truck cranks up and oil pressure is normal. It idles with oil pressure avg. 30psi. Drive for about 15-20 seconds and the digital oil pressure starts dropping rapidly. Turn truck off wait a sec, re crank and oil pressure builds like normal, drive 15-20 seconds and same thing, pressure drops. Ever seen that or have an explanation for it? SOS

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
@Spsully @Burla okay so the truck cranks up and oil pressure is normal. It idles with oil pressure avg. 30psi. Drive for about 15-20 seconds and the digital oil pressure starts dropping rapidly. Turn truck off wait a sec, re crank and oil pressure builds like normal, drive 15-20 seconds and same thing, pressure drops. Ever seen that or have an explanation for it? SOS
Sounds more like a oil pressure sensor issue,if it starts and runs with-out the lifters rattling big time. Pull the starter relay and jump it,that way you can do everything from under the hood,with-out the key being on,and the truck trying to start.Hook a battery charger to it,so it'll spin over decently while you check all 8 cylinders. A remote starter switch is handy,but in a pinch you can use a short piece of 12G wire to jump the starter relay

OP
OP
Shtty6point4

Shtty6point4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sounds more like an oil pressure sensor issue,if it starts and runs with-out the lifters rattling big time. Pull the starter relay and jump it,that way you can do everything from under the hood,with-out the key being on,and the truck trying to start.Hook a battery charger to it,so it'll spin over decently while you check all 8 cylinders. A remote starter switch is handy,but in a pinch you can use a short piece of 12G wire to jump the starter relay
Why would the pressure sensor randomly take a **** on me? Is there any connection you can think of between the oil pressure and the compression test, Seafoam through intake work. I’ve got work in 6 hours ._.