Kicker Key 180.4 Amp install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@HTXRamExp @Graygoose @Ramm5.7
Well boys I got it to work. I needed to unplug the radio fuse like HTX said I did also add the KISLOAD which I don’t think I needed. I’m pretty sure it was the radio fuse.for future reference it does work with the 2020 RAM 5th gen in case anyone in the future finds this.
Sounds amazing! thank you all so much for the help you guys are awesome!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well boys I got it to work. I needed to unplug the radio fuse like HTX said I did also add the KISLOAD which I don’t think I needed. I’m pretty sure it was the radio fuse.for future reference it does work with the 2020 RAM 5th gen in case anyone in the future finds this.

Awsome!! Glad you got it working, they are GREAT little amps!!

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Good deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@HTXRamExp
@Graygoose @Ramm5.7
Started the truck today and the front bi-amped speakers had no output.I had to remove and put the radio fuse in for it to work again. So now every time I shut off the truck the radio fuse needs to be taken out and reinserted for the amp to power the speakers...anyone have this issue or any ideas? I tried removing the KISLOAD but when I did the speakers don’t work even after numerous attempts, tried like 10 times. So the KISLOAD is required for the 2020 5th gen RAM.Been trying things for over an hour my only thought left is take the RCA out of the equation and wire it in highpass frequency....did that same thing. But in my testing radio detect with the kisload is required. Out of ideas at this point except maybe more resistors??

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Maybe see a local Kicker dealer, see if he has ideas. If the radio is the same 8.4, shouldn't need all that. My 2020 Jeep with 8.4 only needed the KISLOAD4.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
Maybe see a local Kicker dealer, see if he has ideas. If the radio is the same 8.4, shouldn't need all that. My 2020 Jeep with 8.4 only needed the KISLOAD4.

spoke with kicker technical support. They want me to test the signal from the radio wires before and after the kisload when it’s not working to find out if maybe the amplifier is having issues or if no signal is coming. Goose did you have your radio detect button in the on position with the kisload or just the kisload??

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
just the kisload.
But you can try it either way.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@Graygoose @HTXRamExp @Ramm5.7
used my multimeter verified the kisload is putting out 24.9ohms of resistance on each channel.
The speaker wire going into the amp is getting a voltage reading between .5-3volts depending on the volume knob setting on the factory radio. This is both when the amped speakers are working and not working so the amp is getting the signal at all times.however I did find out that when the amp is not working it’s putting the emitter lights on and they stay on.
I don’t know much about this kind of stuff but I’m thinking maybe the amp is defective?

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Graygoose @HTXRamExp @Ramm5.7
used my multimeter verified the kisload is putting out 24.9ohms of resistance on each channel.
The speaker wire going into the amp is getting a voltage reading between .5-3volts depending on the volume knob setting on the factory radio. This is both when the amped speakers are working and not working so the amp is getting the signal at all times.however I did find out that when the amp is not working it’s putting the emitter lights on and they stay on.
I don’t know much about this kind of stuff but I’m thinking maybe the amp is defective?

What are all your dip switche settings and what are your gains for amp1 and 2 set at?

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
What are all your dip switche settings and what are your gains for amp1 and 2 set at?

As follows
Up,down,up,down,up,up,up invade its hard to see

A6FC95C9-F395-4AFE-B778-F1AE49F8D88A.jpeg

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
Those all look to be set correctly. I'd make sure your gain knobs are turned down all the way and see if you can get consistent sound. Hard to say...

They are set all the way down

Bigs99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just installed the kicker key 180.4 yesterday , and I'm having an issue. I'm running it in bi amp mode, had a custom harness made, with new speaker wire going to the dash speakers. Before doing the auto set up, the speakers were loud and clear, but I noticed I was getting mostly highs out of the door speakers, almost no bass. Ran the auto set up, and all of the speakers sound absolutely horrible, muffled like they're under water. Although the door speakers seem to be getting more bass now.
I called kicker support, and was asked what speakers I'm running .
Pioneer 6x9 3 ways in the doors
Kicker 3.5 2 ways in the dash.
Response from kicker support was that I cannot run those speakers in bi amp mode, I'll need to get component speakers. So thats my problem. Is this correct ?

Edit: the only thing I can thing of that might be possibly causing issues is I have all of the kicker key input harness wires connected to the Head unit output wires. All of the video/posts/diagrams I've seen regarding bi amp mode only connect half of the key input wires . Could that be the issue?
Edit: so I went ahead and cut the green and purple input wires. I'm getting more bass to the front doors, but all of the front door and dash speakers sound like muffled distorted crap with the tune

Last edited:

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
After testing all the input voltages from speakers power and remote wire I’m gonna get a new amp to see if the amp is defective. Out of options at this point.

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just installed the kicker key 180.4 yesterday , and I'm having an issue. I'm running it in bi amp mode, had a custom harness made, with new speaker wire going to the dash speakers. Before doing the auto set up, the speakers were loud and clear, but I noticed I was getting mostly highs out of the door speakers, almost no bass. Ran the auto set up, and all of the speakers sound absolutely horrible, muffled like they're under water. Although the door speakers seem to be getting more bass now.
I called kicker support, and was asked what speakers I'm running .
Pioneer 6x9 3 ways in the doors
Kicker 3.5 2 ways in the dash.
Response from kicker support was that I cannot run those speakers in bi amp mode, I'll need to get component speakers. So thats my problem. Is this correct ?

Edit: the only thing I can thing of that might be possibly causing issues is I have all of the kicker key input harness wires connected to the Head unit output wires. All of the video/posts/diagrams I've seen regarding bi amp mode only connect half of the key input wires . Could that be the issue?
Edit: so I went ahead and cut the green and purple input wires. I'm getting more bass to the front doors, but all of the front door and dash speakers sound like muffled distorted crap with the tune

Did they suggest which speakers you should install? I'm running infinity 3.5s in the dash and infinity 6x9 2-ways in my front doors.

After testing all the input voltages from speakers power and remote wire I’m gonna get a new amp to see if the amp is defective. Out of options at this point.

Yeah that's odd yours works after a radio reset and then stops working.

My configuration is the same except I'm not using the remote wire.

Bigs99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Component speakers(kickers, can't remember which model). From what I understand though, the speakers I have shouldn't be the issue. Not everyone is running component speakers with the kicker key and I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue. The dash speakers sound perfectly fine without the tune... then turn to crap with the tune

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
the tune is just detecting what freq response THAT speaker can reproduce.
I had midbass 6x9's in mine, but the amp will detect that, and adjust the tuning. I also had the Kicker 3.5" in the dash.

Bigs99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the tune is just detecting what freq response THAT speaker can reproduce.
I had midbass 6x9's in mine, but the amp will detect that, and adjust the tuning. I also had the Kicker 3.5" in the dash.

So it sounds like the speakers shouldn't be an issue, but kicker's answer was that the key can't be used in bi amp mode with those speakers. It sounds like more of a tuning issue to me rather than a speaker issue, but I really have no audio knowledge

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
See a local Kicker dealer, they may be able to "see" whats going on better and troubleshoot. Once its in, you will know its well worth it.

JP305R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 penastar Etorq
@Graygoose @HTXRamExp @Ramm5.7 well guys I got it to work tested it for a day now. Even though the remote wire was giving the proper voltage it was the issue. I changed the setting to DC and disconnected the remote wire from the fuse box. Thank you all for the help!