Kooks Shorty Headers Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I decided to get ahead of the dreaded broken manifold bolts and just go ahead and replace the factory manifolds even though I'm just over 20k miles. I did tons of research on which brand to buy and ended up spending a bit more to get Kooks shorties. Yeah I know long tubes make more power, but I didnt want to go through the hassle of tuning and Colorado has strict emission testing so those weren't an option. I couldnt really find anyone who had installed the Kooks shorties before (https://kooksheaders.com/shorty-headers2238) but they were the only company I could find using 304 stainless instead of 403 or something cheaper. Unfortunately the only pic I took was the comparison shot below. These are some big shorties and I had a heck of a time getting around everything to get them onto the engine. The drivers side was standard installation (disconnect steering rack, bend dipstick around). The passenger side I actually had to unbolt the engine mount and raise the engine to clear the mount. I would say install took about 8 hours total over two evenings, and I could shave a couple hours off knowing what I am doing now. Kooks supplied Cometic gaskets which are the three layer metal type. I had a pretty good leak on the passenger side so bought some fel-pros which took care of the leak.

As far as sound/performance gain, if I gained any sound it was minimal. I'm still on stock exhaust though. Performance I can definitely feel some torque gains driving around town. Probably not a huge peak gain but definitely usable power.

IMG_20200518_175610.jpg

Wags68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im in CO too.... My truck is currently at shop getting JBA shorties installed. After 2 days, still not done, Passenger side is actually super easy to do with the JBA's. BUT big issue is gaskets! I have read TONS about "OEM gaskets" well my 2010 OEN gaskets have a heat shield attached, withoput cutting those off they dont work. So I retruned and tried 6.1/6.4 gaskets and was told the EGR port is missing on gaskets... so back to 5.7 OEM and cutting off shiels, hopew this works! Sure is difficult getting part # for whatever anyone is using other than these..

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for that price i would find a way to make LT's work for me.

Chris Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im in CO too.... My truck is currently at shop getting JBA shorties installed. After 2 days, still not done, Passenger side is actually super easy to do with the JBA's. BUT big issue is gaskets! I have read TONS about "OEM gaskets" well my 2010 OEN gaskets have a heat shield attached, withoput cutting those off they dont work. So I retruned and tried 6.1/6.4 gaskets and was told the EGR port is missing on gaskets... so back to 5.7 OEM and cutting off shiels, hopew this works! Sure is difficult getting part # for whatever anyone is using other than these..
Use OEM 6.1 gaskets

Wags68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried those was told the port for EGR addition on header was missing off gasket....so, went with the 5.7, cut off the heat shield, used 6.1/6.4 bolts. All is good No leaks! Definitely feel more punch to it...sound is a little different but not significant. Already have Flowmaster FX catback w/black tips...Best sounding Cat Back IMO....
Gonna do a tuner and CAI next. that will probably be it...maybe lol

Wags68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried those was told the port for EGR addition on header was missing off gasket....so, went with the 5.7, cut off the heat shield, used 6.1/6.4 bolts. All is good No leaks! Definitely feel more punch to it...sound is a little different but not significant. Already have Flowmaster catback Gonna do a tuner and CAI, then Im done...maybe lol

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I was going to try the 6.1 gaskets but I was working on Memorial Day and the parts department at the dealer was closed so I just grabbed some FelPros from Autozone. They looked exactly like the OEM gaskets, and I read they may even make the OEM gaskets. The three layer metal gaskets sealed on the drivers side but I had to replace the passenger side with the FelPro gasket. Kept the heat shield on as well with no issues. I need to re-torque after a trip this weekend I have the slightest tick. Now I need to pull the trigger on some exhaust.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are you liking these now that you have had them a while?

On the fence of having my pass side fixed under warranty or just doing these it’s 6.1 bolts/gaskets and being done

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to get ahead of the dreaded broken manifold bolts and just go ahead and replace the factory manifolds even though I'm just over 20k miles. I did tons of research on which brand to buy and ended up spending a bit more to get Kooks shorties. Yeah I know long tubes make more power, but I didnt want to go through the hassle of tuning and Colorado has strict emission testing so those weren't an option. I couldnt really find anyone who had installed the Kooks shorties before (https://kooksheaders.com/shorty-headers2238) but they were the only company I could find using 304 stainless instead of 403 or something cheaper. Unfortunately the only pic I took was the comparison shot below. These are some big shorties and I had a heck of a time getting around everything to get them onto the engine. The drivers side was standard installation (disconnect steering rack, bend dipstick around). The passenger side I actually had to unbolt the engine mount and raise the engine to clear the mount. I would say install took about 8 hours total over two evenings, and I could shave a couple hours off knowing what I am doing now. Kooks supplied Cometic gaskets which are the three layer metal type. I had a pretty good leak on the passenger side so bought some fel-pros which took care of the leak.

As far as sound/performance gain, if I gained any sound it was minimal. I'm still on stock exhaust though. Performance I can definitely feel some torque gains driving around town. Probably not a huge peak gain but definitely usable power.

View attachment 209391

i ordered these from summit almost a month ago, still waiting for them to ship from the manufacturer. looking forward to getting them.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
+1 on Remflex. The Doug Thorley's that I installed came with Remflex. Easy to use, no leaks at startup, and no leaks almost a year later.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
i ordered these from summit almost a month ago, still waiting for them to ship from the manufacturer. looking forward to getting them.

Hi @cityredneck. I ordered a set of Kooks Headers on 3 August. The first ship date I received from Summit was 21 September, when that date came and went, I asked again and was told the ship date is on 7 October. The latest ship date from Summit (shipping from Kooks) is 23 October. This is getting ridiculous!! I am going to hold out for these headers because it seems they are the best shorties, but it sure is taking a long time.

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How are you liking these now that you have had them a while?

On the fence of having my pass side fixed under warranty or just doing these it’s 6.1 bolts/gaskets and being done

Still really liking the headers. I have torqued them once or twice more since I swapped to the FelPro gaskets and I think the leak is gone, but they are quite a bit noisier than the OEM manifolds. I haven't looked up any videos or heard one in person, but it sounds like you simply hear more noise through the headers since they are thinner than the cast iron. The noise would be my only complaint. I think if I had aftermarket mufflers installed I wouldn't hear them at all, but I'm constantly second guessing if I'm heading header noise or a leak.

As for having the dealer fix it, I would say it depends if you have any broken bolts. If so, let the dealer do the bolt work and swap headers in later. It wasnt the most difficult thing I've ever installed, but it definitely was no cake walk. I would plan on a full weekend and another afternoon to retorque down the road.

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi @cityredneck. I ordered a set of Kooks Headers on 3 August. The first ship date I received from Summit was 21 September, when that date came and went, I asked again and was told the ship date is on 7 October. The latest ship date from Summit (shipping from Kooks) is 23 October. This is getting ridiculous!! I am going to hold out for these headers because it seems they are the best shorties, but it sure is taking a long time.

Mine only took about two weeks direct from Kooks at the end of April. They were the same price so I figured I would support them directly. I ordered some Bilstein shocks for my wife's WRX and I am almost to two month's of wait time for them to ship. The product listing showed a November 24th ship date last I checked so I'm not expecting them soon. I dont know if it is a Summit issue or on the manufacturers.

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

lol, same here! shoot, i ordered bilstein 5160s and 6112 from 4wheelparts on sept 7th, still waiting for those also.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still really liking the headers. I have torqued them once or twice more since I swapped to the FelPro gaskets and I think the leak is gone, but they are quite a bit noisier than the OEM manifolds. I haven't looked up any videos or heard one in person, but it sounds like you simply hear more noise through the headers since they are thinner than the cast iron. The noise would be my only complaint. I think if I had aftermarket mufflers installed I wouldn't hear them at all, but I'm constantly second guessing if I'm heading header noise or a leak.

As for having the dealer fix it, I would say it depends if you have any broken bolts. If so, let the dealer do the bolt work and swap headers in later. It wasnt the most difficult thing I've ever installed, but it definitely was no cake walk. I would plan on a full weekend and another afternoon to retorque down the road.

Good to hear, they are on the short list come spring it looks like. Truck is at the dealer for manifold leaks, let them deal with it under warranty, broken stud for sure on the pass side rear.

Did you notice any change to MPG or around town feel?

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Good to hear, they are on the short list come spring it looks like. Truck is at the dealer for manifold leaks, let them deal with it under warranty, broken stud for sure on the pass side rear.

Did you notice any change to MPG or around town feel?

MPG seems to be about the same. Seat of the pants feels like 5 hp/tq at most. Enough to make a difference but not appreciable. You can feel a bit more torque with normal driving. It seems a little less quick to downshift when going up a hill for example. I think with a full exhaust it would really open up and you would see more difference from the headers.