Kooks Shorty Headers Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On queue, thanks Rich!

So if I understand correctly, if a guy (me) just wants a hot daily driver or still have the ability to tow, you just leave the factory cam alone? You put in a Hi Po Cam, sure you get much better top numbers for racing but you lose the torque since you are locking/minimizing VVT and therefore losing low end torque? That was my interpretation anyways, could be mistaken....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So if I understand correctly, if a guy (me) just wants a hot daily driver or still have the ability to tow, you just leave the factory cam alone? You put in a Hi Po Cam, sure you get much better top numbers for racing but you lose the torque since you are locking/minimizing VVT and therefore losing low end torque? That was my interpretation anyways, could be mistaken....

They are hi-po cams out,that still use the full VVT sweep.Jay Green has a couple cams that don't require a phazor limiter .Jays .5 and 1.5HL cams don't require limiters,and his little .5HL cam has a rep of being a torque monster.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
With the 8 speed and 3.92 gears, our headers are ideal CFM for the best balance top to bottom in the OEM cam. We can get more out of our eagle heads with a higher lift grind though.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah if a lifter ever goes for me. I’d probably do a .5HL with the stock converter. The 8 speeds really keep you in the powerband unless you go crazy.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah if a lifter ever goes for me. I’d probably do a .5HL with the stock converter. The 8 speeds really keep you in the powerband unless you go crazy.

So would the .5 Cam be another kick in the pants kinda like the Headers (with JG tune) were over the JG Manifolds tune or be more of a subtle upgrade?

I like to get bang out of the buck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So would the .5 Cam be another kick in the pants kinda like the Headers (with JG tune) were over the JG Manifolds tune or be more of a subtle upgrade?

I have a buddy who's running the little .5 cam on his lifted 4X4 with long tubes /cold air etc,and Jays tune,and his truck is actually pretty surprising,considering it's a 6 speed truck with 3.55's and the stock convertor.It's not gonna beat up on Hellcats by any stretch,but the truck does pull pretty good for a big assed lifted crew cab on 35's.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4

It’s not going to have the neck snapping torque that LTs/custom timing tune bring, but if you let the RPMs tach out often that’s where you’d see noticeable differences.

Rick has that cam, maybe he recalls the knee jerk reaction.

This is the non-VVT block, but I’d imagine Jay’s .5HL between 260-268 as far as gains.
upload_2020-11-8_9-4-58.jpeg

Last edited:

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I t

I think I will adopt your strategy. Good info on this string, no need to throw money at close to perfection;)

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not notice any power increase on the short (15 mile) drive home last night. It did seem quite responsive, but that may just be my anticipation. Kooks claims a 25 HP increase at 5,000 RPM, I maybe got to 3,000 RPM last night. We'll see how it goes.

Can you update us on how are they performing? Worth the upgrade?

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Can you update us on how are they performing? Worth the upgrade?

The main reason I installed shorty headers is to stem the broken exhaust manifold bolt issue. In that regard, these are definitely worth the upgrade. I did just tow my 9k pound trailer a hundred and fifty miles. The route included some freeway and some hilly portions. The truck did seem to have a little easier time making it up the hills. There was a definite difference in sound when loaded in the 3 to 4 thousand RPM range. When shifting down to help with compression braking there was also a different sound. Personally, I like the new sounds. I may be old(er), but I still like the muscle car (truck) sound.

Another picture...
IMG_20201106_122413246.jpg

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to get ahead of the dreaded broken manifold bolts and just go ahead and replace the factory manifolds even though I'm just over 20k miles. I did tons of research on which brand to buy and ended up spending a bit more to get Kooks shorties. Yeah I know long tubes make more power, but I didnt want to go through the hassle of tuning and Colorado has strict emission testing so those weren't an option. I couldnt really find anyone who had installed the Kooks shorties before (https://kooksheaders.com/shorty-headers2238) but they were the only company I could find using 304 stainless instead of 403 or something cheaper. Unfortunately the only pic I took was the comparison shot below. These are some big shorties and I had a heck of a time getting around everything to get them onto the engine. The drivers side was standard installation (disconnect steering rack, bend dipstick around). The passenger side I actually had to unbolt the engine mount and raise the engine to clear the mount. I would say install took about 8 hours total over two evenings, and I could shave a couple hours off knowing what I am doing now. Kooks supplied Cometic gaskets which are the three layer metal type. I had a pretty good leak on the passenger side so bought some fel-pros which took care of the leak.

As far as sound/performance gain, if I gained any sound it was minimal. I'm still on stock exhaust though. Performance I can definitely feel some torque gains driving around town. Probably not a huge peak gain but definitely usable power.

View attachment 209391
I ordered the same headers I haven't installed them yet did you wrap your headers how is the underhood heat and do you feel any noticeable gains

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are your headers and underhood heat

sadly i have been super lazy and still havent gotten any of my goodies installed yet. when i do get them put on ill update, hopefully i can find the time to use a little bit of this years vacation time that i havent even touched yet to get everything put on within the next month.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sadly i have been super lazy and still havent gotten any of my goodies installed yet. when i do get them put on ill update, hopefully i can find the time to use a little bit of this years vacation time that i havent even touched yet to get everything put on within the next month.
I hope you find the time

OP
OP
joesstripclub

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered the same headers I haven't installed them yet did you wrap your headers how is the underhood heat and do you feel any noticeable gains

I did not wrap the headers. It seems the consensus is that wrapping them holds in moisture and can make them rust faster, and that you are better off with ceramic coating on the headers. Not sure how you measure underhood heat other than engine temps, and the headers seemed to make no difference there. I did not notice significant power gains with headers. I'm also in Colorado so I'm down a bit of power due to altitude anyway.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After reading info from all over I think having the 304 SS with a single wrap with 2in wide and 1/4 in over lap will not over heat metal and dry itself to not affect the 304SS as it does not corrode as fast as 409SS or mild steel as in what old header where built with that may be a problem with rusting

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not wrap the headers. It seems the consensus is that wrapping them holds in moisture and can make them rust faster, and that you are better off with ceramic coating on the headers. Not sure how you measure underhood heat other than engine temps, and the headers seemed to make no difference there. I did not notice significant power gains with headers. I'm also in Colorado so I'm down a bit of power due to altitude anyway.
So you installed them with no ceramic coating or wrap