Left side cylinder head replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Has anyone had to replace theirs and been denied warranty coverage? My number 4 cylinder is misfiring and the dealer said I need to replace the cylinder at $2800. This is a known issue on earlier 4th gen rams where the engine warranty was covered for up to 150,000 miles. Mine is a 2013 with right at 110,000 miles on it. I’ve called everyone that answers the phone at Chrysler and get a bs answer of the Vin doesn’t match that warranty extension. I’ve left the truck and the dealer and I’m refusing to take it back at this point until the repair is covered

Any advice or help would be appreciated

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What exactly did they say the problem with the cylinder head is? The most common problem with earlier pentastars is broken rocker arms. Even if the cam is messed up and needs replacement, pentastar parts are not too expensive, nor is the labor involved.

There was also some issues with cylinder head cracking on early pentastars. I want to say it was the left side for some reason. The problem cylinder heads had something like a K or W stamped on them. I'd search that. You might find it on later model jeep wrangler forums.

You can't pursue this at the 1-800 number level. You have to have a calm, cool conversation with a manager at a Ram/Jeep dealer. Preferably a service manager. NOT a service adviser. Tell them how you love the brand, how this dealer has been fair with you in the past.. How you'd buy from them again.... You get the picture. Ask them if they could cover a portion of the cost and you cover the rest. After all, it's a soon to be 9yr/old truck w/ over 100K miles on it. Demanding they pay 100% probably won't get you anywhere.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
When was your RAM built? FCA announced a change to head in August 2012. Vehicles built after July 25, 2012 are not covered by the extended warranty. The build date is usually on the VIN sticker in the door jamb area.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
What exactly did they say the problem with the cylinder head is? The most common problem with earlier pentastars is broken rocker arms. Even if the cam is messed up and needs replacement, pentastar parts are not too expensive, nor is the labor involved.

There was also some issues with cylinder head cracking on early pentastars. I want to say it was the left side for some reason. The problem cylinder heads had something like a K or W stamped on them. I'd search that. You might find it on later model jeep wrangler forums.

You can't pursue this at the 1-800 number level. You have to have a calm, cool conversation with a manager at a Ram/Jeep dealer. Preferably a service manager. NOT a service adviser. Tell them how you love the brand, how this dealer has been fair with you in the past.. How you'd buy from them again.... You get the picture. Ask them if they could cover a portion of the cost and you cover the rest. After all, it's a soon to be 9yr/old truck w/ over 100K miles on it. Demanding they pay 100% probably won't get you anywhere.

I’ve called all the 1-800 numbers available. I just got a phone call from the shops manager who was talking to the regional manager and still a no go with it being covered under warranty. The warranty issue with the powertrain extension covered my vehicles year but supposedly the engine wasn’t manufactured in Mexico. The warranty extension for the 3.6 was/is 10yr 150,000 for those 3.6l that have the left side cylinder failure. The 3.6 or any engine for that matter should last longer than 110,000.
There are currently some active lawsuits out there regarding this issue and I will join them in this.
I’m picking the truck up tomorrow where I’ll get my report then. Cylinder 4 won’t hold pressure past 120. It immediately starts dropping at that point. Other than that that’s all I know at this point because I had them stop digging into the engine further given the estimate for the repair.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
When was your RAM built? FCA announced a change to head in August 2012. Vehicles built after July 25, 2012 are not covered by the extended warranty. The build date is usually on the VIN sticker in the door jamb area.

2013. I’m getting the diagnostic report tomorrow. I had oil on the number 4 cylinders spark plug when I swapped them over a couple months ago. Along with a large amount of oil in the intake manifold but the truck drove fine up until two Thursdays ago. I’ll be looking at just sucking it up and replacing the whole engine with a Jasper. I have little faith now in the 3.6 where there are so many people out there that have had the same problem

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Oil in the spark plug tube isn't unusual on any engine where the spark plugs are deeply set into the heads. Oil pooling in the upper intake manifolds is normal too.

Again, I feel for ya man. I agree that no engine should have such problems at this age/mileage, but like anything mechanical, it happens.

Unfortunately a $2-3K repair bill isn't out of the ordinary anymore with shop rates at $120+ per hour. This job is probably $1000 in labor alone.

I personally wouldn't do a jasper engine. I'd replace the problem head.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Oil in the spark plug tube isn't unusual on any engine where the spark plugs are deeply set into the heads. Oil pooling in the upper intake manifolds is normal too.

Again, I feel for ya man. I agree that no engine should have such problems at this age/mileage, but like anything mechanical, it happens.

Unfortunately a $2-3K repair bill isn't out of the ordinary anymore with shop rates at $120+ per hour. This job is probably $1000 in labor alone.

I’ve found a shop that will replace the head for $1500. I’m debating on whether to replace both or just fix the one and move on from the truck in a years time. I drive right at 120miles/day. So I feel like it’s only a matter of time before the engine goes to ****.
The pentastar tick lawsuit has been settled. I did call the attorney about that case and he said his firm is moving forward with a class action lawsuit against Chrysler at the end of the summer where they will be pursuing getting Chrysler to settle with everyone who has had the cylinder head issue. I would suggest reaching out to them if you’ve had this issue as well. I’m forwarding them all my vehicles info and documentation over tomorrow.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l

Spark plug was saturated in oil. Not just a tiny bit. Oil also dumped out of the intake manifold as well. All my plugs were clean with the exception of having minor deposits on the tips. The number 4 cylinders plug like I said was covered in oil

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not to say it hasn't happened, but I've never heard of one loosing both cylinder heads. The specific problem you are having is not common on pentastar powered Ram 1500s. I may have read of one other instance over the years and there are a lot of pentastar Rams out there. It seemed to be more common on front wheel drive based pentastars and Jeep Wrangers.

Was the misfiring cylinder the one with lots of oil in the plug well? That can short out the spark. Plug wells can fill up if the tube O-ring seal doesn't hold. Some are integrated into the cam cover, others are replaced separately. You'll need to have that addressed along with the new cylinder head.

I've seen a good half quart of oil come out of upper intakes. It's from the PCV system. It's why people like to fiddle with catch cans and whatnot.

I'd have no worries having the problem head replaced and drive on. Make sure they get a good look at the oil filter housing while everything is apart. Any signs of leakage, replace it while everything is apart, that way it's maybe $200 vs $800+.

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
It’s only cylinder 4 on the left side. I’m looking at replacing both the right side and problematic left side to ensure that this issue doesn’t happen in a long time. I can’t afford to fix and ditch the vehicle for something newer because I would be extremely upside down. I need to ensure this truck will last longer than a year

OP
OP
C

Clay M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6l
Yes cylinder 4 was also the same cylinder that had the OE plug that was saturated in oil