Lets see your NON OEM Fog Light Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So like the title says, I'd like to see what you're running for fogs that are non oem. I have a tradesman, I have a non fog bumper, so I'm curious to see some mounting ideas and switching setups and locations. If you have a picture of the lights on at night that'd be great as im looking for dot compliance that won't blind oncoming traffic, amber fogs would be a home run! Lets see what y'all got!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your bumper is the metal one does it have the cutout for the tow hooks? I know some people use the tow hook slots to mount some style of fog lights. A single row 6” DOT light bar should fit in each side

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If your bumper is the metal one does it have the cutout for the tow hooks? I know some people use the tow hook slots to mount some style of fog lights. A single row 6” DOT light bar should fit in each side
I do, but I need to keep my recovery points since I do go off the beaten path in this truck. I've considered drilling into the top plastic, behind the grill, cutting holes into the bumper itself. I'm not sure, so I'm looking for some motivation.

Pic to show my bumperScreenshot_20191126-212839.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can always mount behind the grill but the light will get chopped up some. How much is a chrome fog light bumper? Or get a brush guard with mounting points for light pods

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Agree,behind the grill is less than ideal. The plastic top is easy spot to mount, just not the sturdiest. I was gonna cut flush mounts in,but that leaves no adjustment. I could make for light buckets, but painting chrome and having it stick has never gone well for me...sooo yea.

If I buy a bumper its gonna be a winch bumper, just not a necessity for now.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree,behind the grill is less than ideal. The plastic top is easy spot to mount, just not the sturdiest. I was gonna cut flush mounts in,but that leaves no adjustment. I could make for light buckets, but painting chrome and having it stick has never gone well for me...sooo yea.

If I buy a bumper its gonna be a winch bumper, just not a necessity for now.

Yea I get the necessity thing. I’ve been eyeballing an iron bull winch bumper but it’s $$$. I think personally I’d just mount some pods or light bars on the top of the bumper at that point. The plastic is just a covering so easily replaceable. Or use some long screws and run through the plastic into the metal underneath.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do, but I need to keep my recovery points since I do go off the beaten path in this truck. I've considered drilling into the top plastic, behind the grill, cutting holes into the bumper itself. I'm not sure, so I'm looking for some motivation.

Pic to show my bumperView attachment 187299

Lots of choices! I DO have oem fogs but added to them.
LED in quads and fogs
40 watt flood Tow hook flush mount
40 watt 2 row spots behind honeycomb grill

Tow hook pods
20180107_170542.jpg

Tow hook and behind grill with oem head and fogs
20180509_051608.jpg

All LEDs
20180714_050900.jpg

Front shot

20180714_135100.jpg

Not up to sbaron's nuclear light output but its damn bright when needed..lol

20180714_050743.jpg

CoreySinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I found the Rigid sae fogs to be superb. They are fogs, not distance lights. Nice flat, wide beam.

2 pair in the factory holes. Had to buy a mount.. there are a few brands.. they all will work.

Wired to the factory plug for signal, but on a separate relay. Pwm had to be turned off or the relay buzzed like a dot matrix printer. Alfaobd for the win. They stay on with my high beams now too.

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I found the Rigid sae fogs to be superb. They are fogs, not distance lights. Nice flat, wide beam.

2 pair in the factory holes. Had to buy a mount.. there are a few brands.. they all will work.

Wired to the factory plug for signal, but on a separate relay. Pwm had to be turned off or the relay buzzed like a dot matrix printer. Alfaobd for the win. They stay on with my high beams now too.
I don't have anything oem. Truck came with a non fog setup. That's my whole point. You guys with your fancy alpha obd and stuff already there have it easy. Cheaters

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Lots of choices! I DO have oem fogs but added to them.
LED in quads and fogs
40 watt flood Tow hook flush mount
40 watt 2 row spots behind honeycomb grill

Tow hook pods
View attachment 187305

Tow hook and behind grill with oem head and fogs
View attachment 187306

All LEDs
View attachment 187307

Front shot

View attachment 187308

Not up to sbaron's nuclear light output but its damn bright when needed..lol

View attachment 187309
How'd you wire the extra lights up?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How'd you wire the extra lights up?

For a while I used a remote relay synced to my homelink buttons, now have aftermarket oem auxillary switchs

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
For a while I used a remote relay synced to my homelink buttons, now have aftermarket oem auxillary switchs
Aftermarket oem aux switches? That's a mouth full. I need to get on Google. I'm terrible at electronics

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Took some hunting to find the setup with the relay box. Alot of eBay stuff comes up. That's pretty slick. I'd love to do a setup like jb1 did with the AEV switch control, but I am not comfortable with my wiring circuits and pinning connectors. Nor do I have the patience for that. So this is perfect. I'll pay that for someone to do the dirty work for a clean setup.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize that i don't have any night visibility photos because i ordered an upfitter switch set from 4thgenramelectronics 3 weeks ago and am still awaiting delivery.

But i have installed two pair of PIAA 410 aux driving lamps and expect they will perform well. I went with those specifically because they are DOT/SAE compliant halogen lamps, built very well (grade of materials and hardware) and which fit physically in the limited space on top of my bumper below the forward-leaning grille.

I am on mobile so uploading photos isn't working for me but here is a thread i posted with a couple pictures so you can estimate size.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/got-the-lights-mounted-piaa-410s-on-1500-tradesman.152451/

Almost everything else in that approximate size seems to either be LED or swap meet quality or both and those don't interest me.

Hopefully the upfitter switches arrive soon so i can validate the lights' function :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I apologize that i don't have any night visibility photos because i ordered an upfitter switch set from 4thgenramelectronics 3 weeks ago and am still awaiting delivery.

But i have installed two pair of PIAA 410 aux driving lamps and expect they will perform well. I went with those specifically because they are DOT/SAE compliant halogen lamps, built very well (grade of materials and hardware) and which fit physically in the limited space on top of my bumper below the forward-leaning grille.

Almost everything else in that approximate size seems to either be LED or swap meet quality or both and those don't interest me.

Hopefully the upfitter switches arrive soon so i can validate the lights' function :)
I've been looking at halogen lights. Leds have their place, but I'm having a hard time finding something I'd be confident for inclement weather. I had a set on my Cummins and the glare was so bad I won't run leds without proper housings. Expensive as well.

I am after function, so if it works it works. I'm gonna try and mount a set on the top plastic of my bumler, but seems like it's not very sturdy and they might bounce. I'll have to see.

I'm surely goin with that switch setup, takes all the guess work out. I'm 100% not confident enough to wire and pin my own circuits and connectors so that setup is a home run for me.

I'll be adding aux back up lights, bed lights and A pillar ditch lights eventually, so it gives me room to grow. Biggest hang up is DOT compliant fogs I can run 100% without melting oncoming traffics eyes.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the steel bumper i think tou can get down to the steel for mounting bolts. I have an aftermarket bumper but i did have the steel tradesman bumper before.

Halogen lamps are a must have for me, both as a courtesy and safety factor for other motorists and for my own comfort because glare and blue light start to hurt after a few hours. The PIAA 410 use a 9005 style bulb so lots of low glare (or other color choices) are available