Level links made the ride too stiff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

titan12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
One of my favorite features of my Rebel is the air suspension. The ride is great! I love how it feels like i'm floating down the highway in Aero mode. Speed bumps, potholes and curbs are absorbed by the suspension in Normal mode much better than the trucks i've owned.

I have leveled three of my previous trucks and last night I installed new leveling links from CFT performance on my 2018 Rebel. I adjusted them so that all four corners were within 1/2". It looked good, but the ride was terrible. I felt every bump in Normal mode and Off-road mode was bone-jarring. Aero mode was like the old Off-road mode. I changed back to the stock links and just a heads up, CFT performance does not give refunds.

I'm sure plenty of you don't mind the ride quality, it's just not for me. I wish I had a better idea what to expect before I installed the links.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I found the same thing. At least if I decide to put in spacers like some of the guys on the rebel forum have I can still use them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That's one of the caveats of an air suspension. The higher you want the truck to ride, the more air pressure is required to lift the truck up.
Aside from relocating the bag mounts, the only way to lift a truck with airbags and not get a harsher ride is to increase the airbag diameter.

OP
OP
T

titan12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
Hopefully This helps illustrate how stiff the ride becomes after you level an air suspension.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have not paid any attention to the air suspension trucks at all, or any of the lift kits for them. So excuse my ignorance.

But why would you try to gain lift by simply putting more air in the bags? Why not just put spacers under or over the bags? Or use bigger bags?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
But why would you try to gain lift by simply putting more air in the bags? Why not just put spacers under or over the bags? Or use bigger bags?
The system in question is the factory air suspension, not only would the front and rear "airbag assemblies" need to be relocated but also the links for the suspension height monitoring be modified.
The OP was taking the a lot less invasive approach to leveling the truck using adjustable ride height sensor links, probably takes about 20 minutes to change all four and can be undone.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The system in question is the factory air suspension, not only would the front and rear "airbag assemblies" need to be relocated but also the links for the suspension height monitoring be modified.
The OP was taking the a lot less invasive approach to leveling the truck using adjustable ride height sensor links, probably takes about 20 minutes to change all four and can be undone.

Yea, Im aware of that.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The leveling devices all reduce suspension travel and make for a harsher ride. No real options with coil springs all the way around. My focus has always been on having the truck level even when I have a 3500 lb load in the bed so it is safe to drive and I am not blinding oncoming drivers with the headlamps at night.

FCAEMPLOYEE

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I would be curious as to how high the OP went with the links. Makes no sense to me that the ride would be extremely rough with minor height adjustments (1/2-1") (aka) "leveling" the truck with the links ??

Dice

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering the same thing. I have the front of mine leveled with the CFT links. Stock rear links. My ride didn't change at all, and hasn't in 20k miles . All the ride heights work. Literally the only change is the front came up a little.
The only way for it to act like the OP said is to crank up all 4 corners.

OP
OP
T

titan12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
I would be curious as to how high the OP went with the links. Makes no sense to me that the ride would be extremely rough with minor height adjustments (1/2-1") (aka) "leveling" the truck with the links ??

i don’t remember the exact height. I measured all the wheel arches at every height setting to ensure it was level. It felt like my suspension was made of bricks.

bigdave2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
After reading his post I want to know how his truck "absorbs" curbs so well. When I'm trying to turf my neighbors yards, those things always get in my way! Am I doing it all wrong?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dalvingl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of my favorite features of my Rebel is the air suspension. The ride is great! I love how it feels like i'm floating down the highway in Aero mode. Speed bumps, potholes and curbs are absorbed by the suspension in Normal mode much better than the trucks i've owned.

I have leveled three of my previous trucks and last night I installed new leveling links from CFT performance on my 2018 Rebel. I adjusted them so that all four corners were within 1/2". It looked good, but the ride was terrible. I felt every bump in Normal mode and Off-road mode was bone-jarring. Aero mode was like the old Off-road mode. I changed back to the stock links and just a heads up, CFT performance does not give refunds.

I'm sure plenty of you don't mind the ride quality, it's just not for me. I wish I had a better idea what to expect before I installed the links.
Aero mode is like Normal mode... I ride in Aero mode normally, Normal mode is to impress chick's, and Off Road road is for when I park next to Powerwagons. :)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45