Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillH4th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to level my ram 1500. I have a ‘17 hemi quad cab. Honestly just looking too level it and run the largest tire I can on stock 20s without doing spacers. I was checking out the bilstein 5100’s but seen previous years talk about ball joints popping out unless you change upper control arms. Anyone have any insight on whether or not ram changed anything for ‘17 and up or if I would be able to safely do the bilsteins? Also up for other suggestions as well. Just want to level and put on bigger tires with maintaining close to factory ride quality. Thanks!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can safely do the 5100's. ball joints may still wear out a bit quicker and but they wont be popping out especially if its going to stay on the street. I do recommend that when you need ball joints your then go with aftermarket UCA's. If you plan to off road you may want to look into them sooner if you are going to the 2.8 setting.

Let us know if we can help with any of this. We offer just about everything and offer great pricing for the members here

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Welcome, a low percentage of users have angle issues with 5100 shocks at their highest setting of 2.8. Since you only want to "Level" with the factory rear height, you'll be using the 1.4 or 2.1 clips to accomplish that and are easier on ball joints and CV axle angles. Every truck has a different amount of rake, so you'll need to measure the difference front to rear and determine which groove to use. If you do a decent amount of towing or have bed payload, you'll want to use the 1.4 setting or 2.1 with a rear spring assist to prevent squatting and a light front end.

OP
OP
WillH4th

WillH4th

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses guys! I wanted to run the 2.1 setting. Seen a lot of good feedback on that setting. I have the stock 20s. Do you know what size tire I can run without rubbing? I don’t want to use any spacers.