leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
I started to put this on another post, but there were so many on leveling I didn't know where to put it!

I'm one of those irritating people who always want to do something different. "I'd do it this...." "What about"..." I think". Yea, irritating. It doesn't stop me though.

I don't mean this as sarcasm or making fun of leveling pickups. I think they generally look nicer leveled.

That said if I were going to level my truck I would get a bunch of 50lb sandbags, fill them up with water put them in the bed. That ought to level the truck! Place them where they wouldn't keep me from hauling most of what I haul. Not hard to take out if needed. Amazon says a 14"x26" bag holds 50 lbs of sand. That's That seems low to me. That size would be a little over a cubic foot. One gallon of water is 8.3 lbs. 8 gallons is 1 cubic foot. One cubic foot of water is 66 lb. So maybe 75 lb. per bag.

Gas consumption would increase, but it would anyway if the front end were raised. It would take a long time to buy enough gas to make up the difference in cost between plastic bags filled with water and a leveling kit. Should ride great also. Better on wet or snow-covered roads.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you wanted to reverse level a truck, cutting a coil off is cheaper then sand bags

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
$free.99 to cut them lol. But only a handful of people reverse level anyways, lifting the front to level it is much more practical as it improves clearance and the awful approach angle.

OP
OP
Y

yrraljguthrie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
etorque5.7
How does it improve clearance if the axles and differentials are at the same level? Raising the front by 2" does not raise the level of the transmission by the full two inches. What difference does approach angle make on the highway? Isn't leveling mostly for looks and not offroad capability? On the downside, it definitely is going to affect handling. Certainly going to use more fuel. Both because it's higher in the air. The center of gravity is higher. If all a person wanted was the truck leveled, get bigger tires for the front. It would look a little wonky, but it would be level. :)

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leveling improves ground clearance to some degree, that much is fact. Whether or not it’s enough to be worthwhile is the owners call. As for approach angle, did it ever occur to you some of us actually use our trucks lol. I’ve found the stock bumper to have a pitiful approach angle off roading, it’s actually a pretty limiting factor sometimes. Whether it’s for looks or off road completely depends on the owner. I dare say most of us hemi drivers don’t really care about gas mileage in the first place.

As for any mod it comes down to the owner, what they use their truck for, personal tastes, etc. It’s also nobodies business what anyone else does with their truck tbh